The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Esprit V8 an interference motor that bends or breaks valves and the like when the timing belt goes? Im just curious because I hear alot of posts stressing the timing belt issue on the V8 models also. Of course this may be due to reliabiltiy also. But I would of thought that Lotus would have learned from that issue with the earlier Esprit's and changed it upon designing a new motor such as the V8 in the mid ninties. An example of this is I had a Ford EXP in the 80's and it was an interference motor, but by the early ninties they noticed it and redesigned the motor as to not have interference problems.

Maybe for nostalgia, you know like Ford and Chevrolet made the new muscle cars resemble the classics, Lotus could make the 2013 Esprit (although it doesnt look like the classic Esprit) it could have old Lucas electrics with a valeo alternator at the heart of it, and why not throw in a interference motor to boot, that would be really nostalgic huh?

Sorry its bad humor night at my house. Anyways, I was curious if the V8 has the same timing belt issues as the 4 if anyone knows.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, interference also.
Common among many engines due to better performance, not old engineering.
The issue is what drives the cams and how reliable is it. Newer timing belts are longer lasting, and many engines use chains, which can also used to have issues.
Point is to change when recommended.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts