The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new Exige owner.
It seems like the fuel gauge is working opposite of my honda s2000.
in the s2000 the tank must be shaped like a funnel because the fuel gauge barely moves until I have driven at least 50 miles.
in the exige, either i have a giant leak/something is wrong with engine or I am almost down to half a tank despite the fact that I have only put about 80 miles on the car.
is this the typical experience for elise/exige owners?
I have looked at pictures of the tank and it does look like it holds less at the top than the bottom section.

happy holidays
Louis

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The area with the sending unit sits lower then some of the tank, ballpark estimate is 3 gallons before the guage would move at all. Then it is about linear after that.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
247 Posts
200 miles is usually where my low fuel light comes on, and that's driving around town semi responsibly. If you are driving a bit harder 80 miles on a half tank might be possible. The gauge also seems sensitive to the slope you are on.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I actually didn't read the 2nd half of the post very well... Finish off a few tanks and do some hand math on MPG and go from there. I think I got around 15-20 with your setup on the street driving mid aggressively.

Another point somewhere along the line I could not put the last 3 gallons of gas in the tank and I was never able to fix it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Didnt often get more than 200miles on a tank with the Elise in non freeway driving (full to light was normally 170-190miles). So 80miles for half a tank is easily doable.

Keep a track of your fuel usage for a bit and youll get a feel for MPG and base off your trip meter instead of gauge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts