The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...To pull the car up a flatbed?

It seems kinda wimpy to me. My 05 Elise is dead (ECU I think) and need to tow it to the shop. Hiring a flatbed, and will need to use his winch to get the car on. I have a tow ring that screws into the single mount on the front but that always looked flimsy just an M8 bolt into a 1/2 in post?

Anybody do this and can set my mind at ease?

Thanks,
BrianM

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It should be fine as that is what it is made for but I do understand your hesitance. I have a Sector 111 front tow hook but knock on wood, have never used it. I have seen/read people using theirs without issue but there has been a VERY small minority of folks comment on having theirs pull out.

I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
...To pull the car up a flatbed?

It seems kinda wimpy to me. My 05 Elise is dead (ECU I think) and need to tow it to the shop. Hiring a flatbed, and will need to use his winch to get the car on. I have a tow ring that screws into the single mount on the front but that always looked flimsy just an M8 bolt into a 1/2 in post?

Anybody do this and can set my mind at ease?

Thanks,
BrianM
Brian,

I load my car into the trailer with the front hook all the time. I've also had a wrecker try to pull it out one time and it is still there.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
It is fine BUT make sure it is being pulled, NOT lifted. If the tow strap is at an upward angle, then you might have problems. Pure tension though is perfectly fine.

Mine has been on three flatbeds, one trailer, and pulled around about a mile of racetrack, haha... :'(

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,403 Posts
I have used my front tow hook to pull my car into my traller many times without issue. I have also have an aftermarket front tow hook fail when pulling off the track; guessing that was partly due to a cheaper aftermarket part, not designed to fully thread in and the slack being pulled out of the tow line a few times. I now have a backup tow hook in the trailer just in case.

·
Registered
804 Posts
i used it as intended couple of times: getting the car on a flat bed, even some towing around a track, as the other poster.

the only word of caution i would highlight is to make sure that the winch used to pull the car is not putting on a twisting force working to unscrew the hook. you'd think the tow operators would watch out for this, but i had to intervene once to prevent this from unscrewing the hook (actually, i am surprised the winch was doing this).

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Another note here: The stock tow hook is plenty strong. The aftermarket chinesium ones that are super popular are not.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
I have had my ride on a flatbed ride of shame home at o'darkthirty more times than I care to recall.

Works as designed. Just take the slack out slow and what everyone else said.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
I’ve been pulled outta somewhere on track I believe four times. One of those when the darn immobiler thought we had left the planet when we went over some curbing as planned. I figured out where the little button was after getting back to the paddock. It was soon bypassed. Another story.

Did have one of the Sector ones pop right off when the tow vehicle took off quickly and the Elise, did not :/

The second time and thereafter I asked them to do it without sudden jerks, just a smooth pull if possible.

When being pulled along, I learned to use the brakes to keep the tension more even.

To your question, a slow steady pull is just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts