The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

just noticed the little horn symbols on the leather-covered portion of the spokes.

is that where you press to honk the horn?

·
shay2nak
24,993 Posts
originally posted by Adam P
Its in the center where the lotus symbol is..
Then howcome they don't put the horn symbol above or below or off to the side of the Lotus logo? I tried to use the horn at the LAAS, but all the batteries were removed from the cars.

·
Registered
178 Posts
air bag

I have no absolute knowledge regarding the horn 'button' placement, but with the airbad in the center of the wheel, it would seem unlikely that the Lotus emblem would be the horn button and the horn symbols are usually where you press on other cars. I have no doubt that Euro cars have a horn button in the center and I know some of the early "U.S." cars were really Euro models with some parts converted to look like a federalized version.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: air bag

Less Moore said:
I have no absolute knowledge regarding the horn 'button' placement, but with the airbag in the center of the wheel, it would seem unlikely that the Lotus emblem would be the horn button
:confused:

virtually all US cars have the horn button in the center of the wheel, in the same location as the airbag

·
shay2nak
24,993 Posts
originally posted by atyclb
virtually all US cars have the horn button in the center of the wheel, in the same location as the airbag
my civic's horn buttons are near the spokes away from the airbag, but they are still on the airbag cover. However, there was a time when my horns wouldn't work and that was because my airbag was found to have an error.

my benz has them off-center near the spokes but it is still on the airbag cover.

found this pic on eBay of the 97 civic

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
I used the horn in the blue LA auto show car and it was in the center like I said, but who knows where it will be in the production cars..

Adamp

·
shay2nak
24,993 Posts
originally posted by Adam P
I used the horn in the blue LA auto show car and it was in the center like I said, but who knows where it will be in the production cars
oh, ok, thanks Adam. That's weird that they would put the symbols off to the side.

Now that I look at the dash & wheel of the Elise again compared to the civic and benz, it looks so damn good. The wheel and small dials along with the simple layout look really great.

·
Registered
394 Posts
shay2nak said:
oh, ok, thanks Adam. That's weird that they would put the symbols off to the side.

Now that I look at the dash & wheel of the Elise again compared to the civic and benz, it looks so damn good. The wheel and small dials along with the simple layout look really great.
I like the simple nature of the cockpit personality on the elise!

Adamp

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
How LOUD is the horn going to be???

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I've never owned a car with an airbag, but is it a good idea to have the horn in the middle on top of an air bag? I can imagine a lot of people bracing against the horn as they plow into another car or whatever. I can only imagine what this does to the hand/arm/shoulder. :eek:

If I'm remebering right, my P1800 had a little stalk/lever next to the wheel that you pulled to make the horn go off. Something like this would seem to be safer.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
It's behind the passenger seat and it's LOUD!

;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
FWIW, when I sat in the yellow Elise at FVMC after the Chicago Autoshow, I accidentally honked the horn when pushing directly on the little horn icons. I don't know if the Lotus icon also honks the horn, but the horn icons on the spokes definately honked the horn and it was rather loud in the showroom.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My old Esprit had the horn on the turn signal stalk. You pushed the stalk towards the center of the steering column to honk the horn. Anything would be less strange...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Goose said:
My old Esprit had the horn on the turn signal stalk. You pushed the stalk towards the center of the steering column to honk the horn. Anything would be less strange...
I had an '81 Mustang Ghia w/ the same feature- pushing a stalk tward the wheel hub is about the last thing you remember to do in a sketchy situation.

The horn icons on the leather seem to be covering solid metal- but maybe not?

·
shay2nak
24,993 Posts
originally posted by Nochmal
FWIW, when I sat in the yellow Elise at FVMC after the Chicago Autoshow, I accidentally honked the horn when pushing directly on the little horn icons. I don't know if the Lotus icon also honks the horn, but the horn icons on the spokes definately honked the horn and it was rather loud in the showroom.
Cool! I like them there on the sides, i can probably use my thumb without loosening my grip on the wheel to honk at turtles, slowpokes, roadblocks, etc.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shay2nak said:
Cool! I like them there on the sides, i can probably use my thumb without loosening my grip on the wheel to honk at turtles, slowpokes, roadblocks, etc.
according to chris they won't be there

1 - 20 of 29 Posts