The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I ask this question because much of the most recent info on the car suggests that it will come with a paddle-shifting sequential manual. I hope Lotus will still provide the Eagle with the option of a regular manual transmission. A paddle-shifting gearbox, fast as it may be, can never equal the feeling and satisfaction of shifting the gears on your own. I hope Lotus keeps to its formula of pure, undiluted, raw and "unplugged" sports cars (the main reason why we love the brand) and not follow the route that many manufacturers, like Ferrari and Porsche, etc., are doing.

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Hello,

I ask this question because much of the most recent info on the car suggests that it will come with a paddle-shifting sequential manual. I hope Lotus will still provide the Eagle with the option of a regular manual transmission. A paddle-shifting gearbox, fast as it may be, can never equal the feeling and satisfaction of shifting the gears on your own. I hope Lotus keeps to its formula of pure, undiluted, raw and "unplugged" sports cars (the main reason why we love the brand) and not follow the route that many manufacturers, like Ferrari and Porsche, etc., are doing.

Cheers,
Andy
Yes it will.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hello,

Cheers,
Andy

Like everyone has stated, Lotus wll provide a manual transmission and actually, it's the manual trans. that will be available first as the paddles shifters won't come until later on.

Also, Lotus HAS to follow the same route as Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche and most other high end manufacturers in order to ensure their success...it's all marketing.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i'm also one who also like to row their own boat. i always say, unless you're in a canoe or a fraternity, you have no need for paddles!!

and the paddle enthusiasts all need to fess up: call it what you will (DSG, SMG, F1, SST, dual clutch, sequential whatever), and explain all you will about how it really is a clutch system and how much faster it is than a "Manual", if the car can be set to shift itself, it's an "AUTOMATIC".

so the question should be, is the Eagle/Ethos gonna be offered with an Automatic?

·
Registered
109 Posts
"I hope Lotus keeps to its formula of pure, undiluted, raw and "unplugged" sports cars"

Not sure if I want to pay $80K for a different looking Exige/Elise type car with 4 seats... If the Ethos is a stripped down and more of a track/enthusiast car... it WILL fail... Sorry folks... This must have the interior of a Porsche 911 and handle and look like a Lotus and be very reliable.. There are too many great cars in the $60K - $80K range and Lotus must be careful not to make a car that only a very few can live with...

·
Registered
431 Posts
i'm also one who also like to row their own boat. i always say, unless you're in a canoe or a fraternity, you have no need for paddles!!

and the paddle enthusiasts all need to fess up: call it what you will (DSG, SMG, F1, SST, dual clutch, sequential whatever), and explain all you will about how it really is a clutch system and how much faster it is than a "Manual", if the car can be set to shift itself, it's an "AUTOMATIC".

so the question should be, is the Eagle/Ethos gonna be offered with an Automatic?

I don't believe that should be the question as everyone KNOWS Lotus will offer an automatic and why not?

In order for Lotus to have a chance of producing the next Esprit, they have to make sure the Eagle is successful and in order to make the Eagle successful, it is VITAL that the Eagle have AUTOMATIC...ewwwww, I know, this is taboo in the Lotus community but this is business folks and there's not enough enthusiasts in the world for ANY manufacturer to be successful and that's why the old purist manufacturers went main stream i.e. Ferrari, Porsche, even Bmw at one point and now Lotus.

Hey, if it was up to me, I'd have Lotus make automatic an option on the Elise also! :crazyeyes -eek- ....yes I'm serious....you aren't going to hurt sales and that way you are sure to get an extra 200 sales a year.

·
Registered
431 Posts
"I hope Lotus keeps to its formula of pure, undiluted, raw and "unplugged" sports cars"

Not sure if I want to pay $80K for a different looking Exige/Elise type car with 4 seats... If the Ethos is a stripped down and more of a track/enthusiast car... it WILL fail... Sorry folks... This must have the interior of a Porsche 911 and handle and look like a Lotus and be very reliable.. There are too many great cars in the $60K - $80K range and Lotus must be careful not to make a car that only a very few can live with...
100% agree here but I think some people are missing the boat.

Lotus is not making the Eagle for the next guy to take to the track...they have the Exige, Cup Car and 2-Eleven for that and they are not making it to out perform those vehicles either. Nope, Lotus has stated that this vehicle will be for a wider audience and that means:

Better interior, MORE features like nav system, maybe back-up camera, a REAL a/c system and a real solid car that you can get in and out of...you know, main stream.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i completely understand why they're offering an "automatic", if they are, in the eagle. for the same reason the porsche 911, audi R8 and aston V8 are all available with "automatics".

i just wanted to point out that it is an "automatic". had i made such a statement on a Ferrari forum, i would have been lynched :panic:

but i guess here, thank god, we all know what that third pedal on the left is for
:shift:

·
Registered
975 Posts

shucks i was really hoping the ethos would be a 6 banger lightweight that could be stripped of everything extraneous and boosted to become a track beast bar none. a wolf in sheep's clothing if you will.

:shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts