The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the SS be enough or should I tape like I have seen some do for race events? 18+ hours is a long drive and rocks loooooove cars.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
depends on the road conditions of where your going....

good roads or crappy roads???

for example, one of my friends yesterday was on the 495 (beltway) and he hit a pothole at around 70mph that left him with two bent rims, two shredded tires, broken lower control arm (i think thats all of the damage...not sure) and tow.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
depends on the road conditions of where your going....

good roads or crappy roads???

for example, one of my friends yesterday was on the 495 (beltway) and he hit a pothole at around 70mph that left him with two bent rims, two shredded tires, broken lower control arm (i think thats it) and tow.
and no star sheild woul stop that lol

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...even if starshield is enough by itself, your windshield is still going to come out pockmarked, and there's not much you can do to protect that - is there such a thing as vinyl protectant film for wiper glass?..

...really i think the fact that it's cross-country is irrelevant: highway miles are highway miles, regardless of whether you drive them around home or in another state...if starshield alone is good enough for two thousand miles of illinois interstate, i wager that it's just as good for driving cross country...

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
...really i think the fact that it's cross-country is irrelevant: highway miles are highway miles, regardless of whether you drive them around home or in another state...if starshield alone is good enough for two thousand miles of illinois interstate, i wager that it's just as good for driving cross country...
exactly, my friend got his car messed up right at his exit. He has about 35k miles on the highway...just happen to be his unlucky pothole.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Paint protection film is sacrificial. After enough time it will need to be replaced. When that time comes, I sell good stuff for very fair price.
I have 43K miles on my car. My rockers need replacing. I'll probably get to it some time this summer. There is a chip or two that went through the original film. I'm certain they would of went through even if it was taped. Tape isn't going to offer any impact resistance, only abrasion resistance. PPF already offers that. What I would be worried with tape driving across country as it starts to lift in spots and then gets dirt in the sticky side, which is flapping around beating the same spot over and over on either your film or your paint.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've drive cross country twice and the starshield has worked just fine for protecting the car. Running miles in the twisty canyons north of LA was actually a lot worse due to all the crap in the roads. Should be fine.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've driven crosscountry three times now. Starsheild is fine, mine was sandblasted and ugly at 25K. Just replace it, it isn't that hard. Do a thread search for instructions or have the dealer do it. Sweet Daddy D has individual pieces if you do it yourself. Tape is mainly to prevent cone marks on the Starshield which are hard to remove...DAve

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love my car. I have starshield. It seems to work pretty well. I took a couple of hits from a semi recently throwing up dirt clods on I-5. His mud flaps were split apart,:no: and a couple of good sized rocks hit the front of my car and glanced off the windshield chipping it in the upper left hand corner. :mad: From what I can see, the starshield saved the paint, but was compromised, meaning if a rock hits the same place it will not be effective. I.E. Need new starshield. Anyone have an opinion with regard to Cilojet paint protectant? I recently received a free sample for one car. I do have a few nics and scratches in unprotected areas. As previously said, (highway miles are highway miles). I only have 4300 miles on my car but Approx 500 are track miles which kick up more STUFF. -eek-This car is meticulously maintained mechanically. I am sure that as I continue to enjoy this wonderful machine, both on road and track, it will show damage and wear from both sun and tarmac. I will continue to touch her up as needed, and god willing, drive the living crap out of her. Is that not what these cars were designed for?:clap:

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Need new starshield. Anyone have an opinion with regard to Cilojet paint protectant?
Never heard of it. I stay away from the no names and generics like Venture.

I sell the hood and mirror kit from quality material nearly $100 under retail for $159.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Oh, I get it, it's like a new brand of Rejex (with the aircraft angle again):

What is cilajet?

cilajet™ is a unique anti-corrosion sealant developed to provide the finest permanent protection available for painted surfaces, fiberglass, aluminum.....

It's basically synthetic wax. It might keep your car glossy. It's not going to protect against stone chips. Some local guys from a detail shop have tried to convince that Zymol (carnuba) would protect against chips "because it forms a protective barrier as hard as concrete over the surface of your paint" Yeah, that's a load of crap there- clowney.
I'm sure it's a good "wax" (sealant) though. I love Zaino for that purpose. I don't buy into any of those things that claim they are good for 10 years. There is just no way. Well I guess their is, the fine print usually says it needs to be "refreshed" every 6 months. "Never wax again!" sounds impressive, till you see they just mean apply "sealant" instead of "wax" every few months.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry. Didn't mean to infer that this (cilajet) was a solution for impacts. Just wondered if anyone had input. I have not applied mine yet. Obviously we want our cars to look as good as possible, hence the reason for Starshield and this thread.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I purchased my Lotus in Ft. Lauderdale and drove 1,500 miles back to Ft. Worth. No issues with Star Shield not being enough protection. Just don't follow too close, especially since there is likely to be a lot of sand and salt on the roads after this last ice storm.

I am about to replace my rocker panels due to track debris scuffs with the film I bought from SDD. Remember Star Shield is a consumable. Most people fail to realize that. If it doesn't get too torn up and need to be replaced, it will eventually yellow and need to be replaced. Its still a lot cheaper than new paint...

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
When my car was brand new, it came with Starshield to Georgia. Driving it across to San Diego, when I arrived the film on the rockers needed to be replaced due to stone damage. Most of it happened in the moutain roads around Deals Gap. Only one rock made it through the film.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is this what your going for?

IMHO, star shield looks like arse. Do you want ugly dimpled SS or ugly dimpled paint? Please.... hope I do not hear people chime in with " but...but... it saves the paint" Please refer to the pic above. Don't let the ghosts of tacky Italian grandmas from 1950 dictate your need to put plastic on your most prized possessions to preserve it forever! Yes, it saves the paint BUT...then the SS is marked up, thusly ruining the look of the paint! Bitter irony abound kids. It's a cheap car, no need for pampering here. It's low to the ground and not designed to be practical in the way of road debris avoidance. Drive it. Live free of fear. -poke-

- Star Shield free since 2005

·
Registered
43 Posts
for example, one of my friends yesterday was on the 495 (beltway) and he hit a pothole at around 70mph that left him with two bent rims, two shredded tires, broken lower control arm (i think thats all of the damage...not sure) and tow.
Ouch. :eek: Potholes on 495 have been in the news recently. Some of the recent aerial views of the Beltway somewhere in Montgomery County looked like they were shot in Beirut. Thankfully, I'm rarely on that part of the Beltway. Here's hoping they fix it before I get there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts