The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if another car cross references for the ignition key. I was at a local True Value recently and happened to have my key in my pocket for my Esprit, and had them lookup the key and it came back "Dealer part" (surprise surprise), but I had them look at Toyota keys from the 80's and they physically didnt match either. I thought I read somewhere the 80's Toyota key matches the 88 Esprit? This True Value is like the center of the key making universe, I was there one day getting nuts and bolts from there miscellaneous bins for like 45 minutes and the guy working there was helping someone with an ignition key, and you wouldnt believe the stuff this guy was telling a customer about keys for late model cars they make there, it seemed pretty amazing what they can do keywise, at least until I go in with my 25 year old Lotus key.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I could be wrong, but Elises/Exiges have GM ignitions, so that could mean that your Esprit has a GM one as well. I know for a fact that the Elise/Exige key is a GM key, and can be found at a true value hardware store.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have an '83 and am also looking to get a spare set of keys made for all three keys. Are the gas cap & glove box standard key patterns?

Thanks for the heads up on YM27 for the ignition key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts