The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time caller, long time listener.... :) J/k, been lurking for a little while.

I was wondering if some sort of service/shop manual exists for the current Elise. Something better than say a Chiltons, but less than the price of ~12 volume set for a Porsche. Like a typical Helms publication for an Acura/Honda.

I'd guess if one were to exist for the S1/S2, then they'll probably have a version for the Federalized car.

Just curious since I prefer to do as much maintenance/work on my vehicles as I can practically do. I'd like some reference for proper assembly/disassembly, torque specs., etc. Also for the Solo2 crowd, we need to be in possesion of a shop manual for the Tour/Pro events in case of protest/dispute.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doh!.... Nevermind, just found Matt G's link in the other forum.

Any idea what the hardcopy typically costs?

·
Registered
637 Posts
The manuals are expensive. Lotus charge 75GBP (approx 110USD) for each one. There's a parts manual and a service guide.

Craigy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Craigy.

That's not too bad. A friends Boxster shop manual consisted of literally 12 binders of info and left him ~$1000 (~620GBP) light in the wallet. And even then there were vague instructions/specs.

Helm Inc. does a lot of manufacturers publications which I've used for some of my vehicles. Depending on the type of manual it ranges, but that price you provides seems in the ballpark.

·
Registered
803 Posts
have a manual

I have one of the manuals, paid about $80 some time ago. I do not suggest getting a current one unless you have a current Elise as much is going to change.

My manual is dated December 1, 1996, and contains 11 sections in a two inch ring binder. The front page is signed by Dave Massey, Senior Techical Autor! The gear box and engine sections are from Rover.

If there is something particular you want to know or see, please let me know. I will add it to my web site. (The drawings of the suspension and some of the car are already on my site, see below).

Michael

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/index.html

see shop manal

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with Michael. (Hi Michael!) The S3 will be different enough that an S1 or S2 manual will be of limited use for the new car. The S2 and S3 bodies should be very similar, but the drivetrain and electronics will be different. I'd recommend holding out for an S3 manual unless you're really interested in seeing the changes and want to buy both S2 and S3 manual sets for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
637 Posts
JeffC,
I think the US version of the elise will have different front and rear body seciotns because of the federal requirement for it to pass a 5mph crashtest with no damage.

In short they are going to "uglify/lengthen" the car.

I hope they do a good, invisible job

Craigy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Craigy, I agree the bodywork will be different, but I think the differences will be relatively minor. Certainly the change of engines is a much bigger difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts