The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering selling my 05 baby with 24K miles due to a shortage of replacement parts by Lotus.

Is this a valid concern?

Registered
I don't know, but I've wondered a similar question:

Are there any parts for the Elise/Exige (OEM or aftermarket) that are rare enough you would buy them just because you might want them in the future?

The t-tops come to mind as an example...

Registered
Yes.

Dump it on some starry-eyed Jim Clark/Romain Grosjean wannabe ASAP and run.

Or, if you like it enough, I suggest buying a second Elise for spares.

Registered
They have brand new Elises coming out of Hethel and selling to the rest of the world. Why would you be concerned?

Registered
They have brand new Elises coming out of Hethel and selling to the rest of the world. Why would you be concerned?
Do you have a RR wheel arch side marker light I can buy?

On order since October 2013.

I think they're made in the Ukraine or Syria.

Vendor
Those sidemarkers have been backorder for quite some time. I have at least 10 on order we are waiting on...

Registered
Do you have a RR wheel arch side marker light I can buy?

On order since October 2013.

I think they're made in the Ukraine or Syria.
You can upgrade to the clear ones, they are only $500. Maybe we should get someone with a 3D printer to make clear ones ?

Registered
You can upgrade to the clear ones, they are only $500. Maybe we should get someone with a 3D printer to make clear ones ?
Every "clear" filament I've tried for 3D printing comes out not particularly clear - more translucent than anything else.

Some commercial 3D printing vendors (Stratasys) have plastic that can supposedly arrange itself when printed to be clear when polished, but it's not available for independent people / hobbyists.

This is pretty much the state of the art in making clear stuff with a 3D printer:

t-glase Features - taulman 3D

It's also hard to make precise, small features like the triangles for reflection/light dispersion.

I've been experimenting with 3D printing various types of lenses but it never turns out quite right - sadly the materials aren't there for hobbyists yetl

Super Moderator
The Lotus market is weird where people seem to assume that you have to go through a third-party site for OEM parts. The dealer is often much faster and cheaper, even if they aren't right down the road. Lotus is a small company, but they are a proper car company with a supply chain and distribution for parts.

There are a few random parts that are on backorder, but nothing where you'd be best to sell the car. If you're looking to keep the car for the next fifty years it makes sense to grab consumables or rare parts in case that you need them some day, but that would be true for a Corvette.

Registered
I have a hard top and two soft tops. For the soft tops I have 2 of those plastic bows per top and 2 spares.

So I think I'm covered.:cool:

Registered
There are a few random parts that are on backorder, but nothing where you'd be best to sell the car. If you're looking to keep the car for the next fifty years it makes sense to grab consumables or rare parts in case that you need them some day, but that would be true for a Corvette.
I do worry a bit about major body parts like rear clamshells. I know it's just supposed to be a supplier changeover / the factory closing and opening, but if Lotus vaporizes tomorrow there's nothing to say those pieces will stay available. There aren't any good 1:1 aftermarket versions and at the rate these cars seem to get damaged, I doubt inventory would last long.

It doesn't make me want to sell the car, though. The wear items which I know I'll have to replace are either common Toyota parts, well-supplied aftermarket/racing parts, or cross-reference with some random parts bin or another (i.e. hub / wheel bearings). If the car gets in an unrepairable accident, I'll be very sad and sell it then... to the insurance company.

Gamera The Atomic Turtle
a few years ago i saw several easily repairable clams going for something like $1100 each. Almost worth buying two of those - you always would be able to get your money out. Just my opinion, and i have access to really good f/g repair "in house". So I have been pondering....i guess storage of those large parts might be difficult for some folks depending on your available space, but i have plenty of room.

Vroom vroom
I am considering selling my 05 baby with 24K miles due to a shortage of replacement parts by Lotus.

Is this a valid concern?
No. You're thinking way too long term. Yes, if you had to replace everything that will ever break at the same time then you'd be overwhelmed. But you won't. Over whatever amount of time you hope to own the car, you will almost always tackle one thing at a time and can get a custom piece if you need to. Look at all the freakin sponsors on this site, they will always back us up as long as they are in business. All the engine and drivetrain bits will NEVER run out. We are so lucky in that regard, just imagine if you got a car from a small brand with an in-house engine. THEN you would have cause to worry and keep the car garaged up.

Don't let reports of backordered clams discourage you, there are always options if you are willing to entertain them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
The reason for my concern is after talking to my dealer today he has been waiting for a rear clam for 14 months and front headlights for seven.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts