The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a spare tire hidden away somewhere in the Elise? Are auto manufacturers in the US required to sell cars with a spare tire? (I can't think of a car sold here that does not come with one).

I was just reading the VX220 specs and noticed that, "A pressurised foam container is provided to effect a temporary 'get you home' repair."

hahaha... seems kinda funny to look for the spare & get a can of fix-a-flat.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Don't think spares are required, pretty sure the Mini Copper S and some of the Vettes don't have them & use "run flat" tires. Some of the English guys should be ableto tell us, my guess is no.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
No spare !

The Mini Cooper S doesn't have one either, you get run-flat tires instead.

The Elise doesn't get run-flats, so I'll probably just carry a can of tire sealant (hoping never to actually need it), my AAA card and a cell phone.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
One positive point, flat tires seem pretty rare to me now.

I will carry that can of spare-tire-in-a-can and my AAA card, but I have had one flat tire in 10 years. Not too bad.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My European dealer brochure says the Euro-spec Elise comes standard with a "tyre inflator." I didn't see anything about tire sealants or run-flats (I doubt Lotus would put heavy tires on this car, anyway). I guess this can always change for the U.S. car.

--
Dan

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Dan, I think that the "tyre inflator" is the same as what I (as an 'Merican) would call "can o' tire sealant" ! I agree that run-flats are probably not on offer.

So keep your cel-phone charged up !:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have covered 70000 miles in our Elise and never used the can of sealant and am now starting to wonder about renewing it as it is over 6 years old.
Have ahd one slow puncture over all those miles and that was a wood screw I picked up in my drive :)

Attachments

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Tony, where was that picture taken? My wife and I are thinking of taking a trip to Europe next spring, and that looks like the perfect destination! :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Hi Matt -

Sorry to butt in, but I'll answer for Tony - that is a photo of The Stelvio Pass, in Italy. It is the location where the brake tests were conducted for the Elise !

One of the Elise owners groups in England organizes a trip to The Stelvio every year, I have a feeling that Tony is affiliated with these guys.

That would be a great place to visit. :)

Cheers, Mike G

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jane (my other half) and I have been organising the Stelvio runs since we first started them in 1999. Last year there were over a hundred Elise from all over Europe at the top of the pass for the event. Check out the web site for photos plans and videos at www.stelvio.org.uk

TC

·
Registered
23 Posts
Forgot to say
Routebooks from the Stelvio Runs for 99, 200, 2001 (in Spain) and this year (when I finish it) in cluding hotel details etc are on the Stelvio web site
TC

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've thought about doing that but it would have to be on my bike. I should be going back to the states first week or two in September if I'm lucky. Have you guys had any bikes tag along before?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have to wait and see what will happen. If I don't move back to the states I'd like to make that trip. I have a deposit for the US Elise but won't be here next year when I actually get it. How fast overall do you guys go?

·
Registered
23 Posts
How fast?
Every year sees a mixed bag of Alpine experience among the drivers taking part and pace reflects this. We tend never to run in convoy and just settle down into ones and twos of similar pace and enjoy the roads.
All standards of driver are to be found but for a guide check out some of the videos on www.stelvio.org.uk - also the draft routebook is now available to download and print.
Regards TC

·
Registered
637 Posts
All,
the product lotus ships with the elise to "get-you-home" is called tyreweld. It's made by holts and it's only about £4 ($6) per can.

Most people don't ever need to use it. Personally I would only use it if I have less than 20 miles to drive to get home.

Otherwise I'd be calling out the RAC (an AAA equivalent in the UK) to put the car on the back of a truck and get it home that way.

Craigy

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts