The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a temporary number on the side of the car, that is on for a day or two...

I don't want to have to use a heat gun to remove a vinyl sticker, because I believe it will damage the paint if its over 135F, and you know it will be.

Is there something you can apply to the paint before you apply the vinyl so that it can be removed very easy? Maybe just not wash the car?

:cool:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Put down a good layer or three of wax. And don't be afraid of the heat gun, just use it at a distance. I've removed at least 50 different vinyl applications, small to large, and never damaged the paint using a heat gun.

Corvus

·
Registered
909 Posts
Or, instead of a straight up heat gun, you can use a hair dryer.

If the number's there for only a day or two, you might not need anything. Just take your fingernail and start peeling. Depends on what's used to adhere the vinyl, of course.

I've always put wax on the car before applying numbers as well.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Wax the area well first. You will be okay.

Get busy looking at it or get busy driving it!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have never needed a hair dryer to remove numbers. Even with temps in the low fifties.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I don't have enough hair for a hair dryer..........

·
Registered
25 Posts
The company 3M have in there range a rubber wheel disk that can be attached to any power drill . Preferable a electric one ! It will not damage your paint surface of your car .

·
Registered
505 Posts
The company 3M have in there range a rubber wheel disk that can be attached to any power drill . Preferable a electric one ! It will not damage your paint surface of your car .

you guys should use static-cling numbers ;)

yep,same thing body shops use to remove pin striping,they work great

3M Stripe Off Wheel

·
Registered
46 Posts
Never seen one of those 3M wheels.

I have done the same in the past. I waxed the area first, then when it came to removal I used hot water but I've also used an hair dryer before.

·
Registered
765 Posts
When you order your numbers, you can also ask for low tack vinyl.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts