The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to pull the exhaust again to have the cat welded for the 2nd time. The good news is the reinforcement straps I had added kept it from coming apart and burning the car to the ground. I’ve gone back and forth with the stock and a 2bular. The stock is heaver but may have better low end. The 2bular is 15lbs lighter and may breathe better from 6-8k. I have not seen one single piece of real data like a dyno on the stock vs. aftermarket on a 220S. Is there any real data?? I need info now going to put it back together tomorrow stock or 2bular ? carl

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lots of people have done some dyno comparisons, just do a search. I think Randy Chase here did some exhaust mods and got some decent whp gains but required an ECU reflash.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
carl, any pics of the failure point this time? my OE cat is still sitting on the floor of my garage with the crack outlet cone. i've had the larini decat on since the failure late last summer. i liked your suggestion about adding the rod to support this weak point, but i just haven't had time to get it done. with this new revelation of yours, i'm not sure that i'm going to do it.

i don't do dynos, but i do "think" that the car pulls harder with the decat. i still have the burnt-up OE muffler in place, too. that will be replaced by a 2B i have on-hand when i have some free time, hopefully before track seasons starts back up.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I don't have the dynos, but we had gains with the 2bular decat (and sport cat) over stock both in midrange and top end. My use of the EFI might muddy the results for someone with a stock ECU. However, I believe that you will not lose power with the cat or catback exhaust.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I recently installed a 2bular sport cat and I am very happy with the results, although I havent been to the dyno yet. It seems to breathe better, and I'm sure it will help when it is paired to a set of headers when the forcedfed ones are released.

·
Registered
377 Posts
No dyno information, but I recently installed the 2bular decat and 8" GT3, above the diffuser outlet muffler. The sound is lower than stock, but not obnoxious, and the engine seems to rev a bit freer. This may just be butt dyno information, but I think it is stronger. Note that the ceramic on the decat pipe really does keep it cool. Pretty amazing.

Jerry

·
Registered
688 Posts
Carl, I guess to answer your question, NO, there is no hard evidence. I am also interested in the answer, but no one has it yet. :sad:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carl, I guess to answer your question, NO, there is no hard evidence. I am also interested in the answer, but no one has it yet. :sad:
I know a lot of dyno testing was done on the NA cars but none on the SC cars. On the NA cars i think best case was 1-3hp worst less than stock. carl

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
We did dyno on the SC (same as the S), except for the ECU being different. FWIW, and that may not be a lot.

My take still stands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts