The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scanning through past threads I see a few people have left the flock for the GT-R, RS5, X6M (guy locally here), etc... and it got me thinking ... what other car would you consider after owning a Evora?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Prior to deciding on an Evora, my other choices were a Maserati Gran Turismo, an Aston V8 Vantage, or an old F360/430. I'd like to revisit these choices again, but not necessarily the same models, and maybe add a Lambo to the list as well, when I hit my midlife crisis. I'm 31 currently.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
I'll be driving an F type Coupe when I can, but would expect it drive more similar to my Tundra than the Evora.

The new Viper has an appeal as well.

Have to admit the new Stingray had some appeal until I saw one and how cheaply they are made and all the bogus non functional vents etc.

Next move up the ladder would be the Vantage.

I'd only consider picking up any sports car as new.

Realistically trading for another Evora or some Lotus offering is the most likely move for me. Esprit?

·
Registered
268 Posts
My other choices were a GT-R, a V12 Vantage, a Lamborghini Gallardo.
Later, I also bought a GT-R, sold it for a MP4-12C and later sold that again for a new GT-R.
Sometimes I'm worried about Lotus' future and sometimes I'm annoyed about delivery times of parts etc. but the Evora is still a great driving experience and I can't imagine to sell it.

Further, I somehow miss a convertible (had a 370Z Roadster before), I'm currently considering to add an Exige S roadster, or a V8 Vantage roadster, or a Camaro SS Convertible. Still deciding. My GF is driving the Mini most of the time and you can't compare it to any of the other choices. Still it's a fun car to drive somehow.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Would still like to have a Vantage. When I was searching for a Vantage I test drove the Evora and my search was over.
Other cars
GT-R (started pushing away from this choice)
MP4-12C
E-type
F-type
Morgan 3-Wheeler
Morgan AeroCoupe
New Viper (surprisingly fun with much improved interior)

In truth, most of these care would be "in addition too" the Evora with the exception of the McLaren

·
Registered
795 Posts
If I'm attempting to stay in the same monthly out of pocket range:

991 base Carrera
981 Cayman S
F-Type S
Pre-owned GT-R

Or I could go all minimalist and do a Mini JCW GP. Tremendously fun car for urban driving.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I would know of no other car that combines best-in-class handling, great looks, usability, and a reasonable price like the Evora. It is exotic and rare, but not bling.

Of course, a 458 or a MP4-12C compete on handling, looks and exotic, but at what price? who would use them as a daily driver? Or take them to a track day regularly?
The F-Type or the Vantage may compare on looks, but never on handling.
The GT-R will outperform the Evora both on track and, thx to 4WD as a daily driver, but in comparison it is just ugly.
The R8 would seem an option, has 4WD, acceptable looks, but in the end less space than the Evora.
The 911 has the handling, the look (in public opinion), but is so far from being rare as a VW
The Cayman has the handling, some would say it looks good, can be used as a daily driver but will always be the 2nd (or 3rd) best Porsche.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would know of no other car that combines best-in-class handling, great looks, usability, and a reasonable price like the Evora. It is exotic and rare, but not bling.

Of course, a 458 or a MP4-12C compete on handling, looks and exotic, but at what price? who would use them as a daily driver? Or take them to a track day regularly?
The F-Type or the Vantage may compare on looks, but never on handling.
The GT-R will outperform the Evora both on track and, thx to 4WD as a daily driver, but in comparison it is just ugly.
The R8 would seem an option, has 4WD, acceptable looks, but in the end less space than the Evora.
The 911 has the handling, the look (in public opinion), but is so far from being rare as a VW
The Cayman has the handling, some would say it looks good, can be used as a daily driver but will always be the 2nd (or 3rd) best Porsche.

Perfect summary :UK:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nobody mentioned a 430 Scuderia? Handling similar to the Evora, great engine, great gearbox ...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nobody mentioned a 430 Scuderia? Handling similar to the Evora, great engine, great gearbox ...
I went for a cruise in a scuderia then straight after into a 458. I will take the scuderia over the 458 anytime. Thats probable what I would change my Evora S for, the scuderia or 458 speciale or whatever car Ferrari makes after that

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I'm dreaming that Lotus will make something with a drop-top, then I can sell all my cars and have just one.;)

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
One of those Scuderia repair/service bills can buy you a used Evora, BTW, but at that level you are supporting someone's economy.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I've sometimes thought of just retiring from sports cars all together and just going a nice Point A to Point B car like a Toyota or Honda.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Lease prices are good here.
I'm curious to know where is "here." Lease rates have sucked here ever since banks got hip to the idea of avoiding being left holding the bag re over-estimated residual values.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I plan on keeping the Evora S but am looking at a couple of garage mates. I plan to dump my M3 in the next year or 2 and replace it with a Maserati Gran Turismo. The wife and I are building a new house this year so depending on what that costs me I plan to add a F430 in the next 2 or 3 years. I also want to find a nice Triumph GT6, for some reason I have always wanted one.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I've sometimes thought of just retiring from sports cars all together and just going a nice Point A to Point B car like a Toyota or Honda.
A little part of you died as you wrote those words:(

I would get that feeling briefly in the summer when I could drive my toys daily, but hell, its been two months since I've driven my Evora and it is killing me:panic:.

Heck I had to go out and buy a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited just to keep me occupied in the winter till the salt is off the roads.:D

·
likes to drive fast
1,128 Posts
I'm curious to know where is "here." Lease rates have sucked here ever since banks got hip to the idea of avoiding being left holding the bag re over-estimated residual values.
Opps...I meant So Cal. Newport McL has tempted me repeatedly. Open or closed end. IIRC $20k down with $22XX a month at some pt. Decently loaded. A lot of pple sign up for open end and just dump the car after a couple of months, albeit having to pay the difference if any. Just think of it as "short rental".

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.