The Lotus Cars Community banner

Can Front-wheel Drive cars be sportscars?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Oops! my bad, I thought this was the "can sedans be sports cars also?" thread and voted yes where I should have voted H#ll no!...sorry :shrug: :thwack:

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Sorry to be the one to say it, but the M100 is a nice sporty car, but it ain't no sports car.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
MickOpalak said:
Sorry to be the one to say it, but the M100 is a nice sporty car, but it ain't no sports car.

I'm not going to go into this AGAIN...

Unless you have driven one...on the back roads at speed...you just dont know what you are talking about. It is that simple.

Read my posts on the "are 4 door cars sports cars" thread.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30721&page=4

The 91 Elan is one of the best handling sports cars of all time. Period.

Edit at 11:50 But the front brakes were terrible. The damn car just would not stop. If you want to drive one at speed..you need to get uprated front brakes!!!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
P90Puma said:
M100 Elan. So yes.
+1 You have to drive one to understand that it really is a great handling sports car.

·
Registered
652 Posts
+1 for the Acura Integra Type R. An excellent car and very pure. I am not sure if it can be categorized as a "sports car" but it is devilishly fast on track!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
CountTracula said:
+1 for the Acura Integra Type R. An excellent car and very pure. I am not sure if it can be categorized as a "sports car" but it is devilishly fast on track!!!
+ another for the Integra Type R. I had one for 4 years, that's about 3-4 times longer than any other car I've owned. My dad still has his yellow '01 ITR. They are incredible cars, extremely well handling, a front wheel drive that you can slide the rear end, sound awesome on the cams in vtec with a CAI, brakes like I've never felt in my life, and is a pretty legit 4-seater.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've driven an M100 Elan. I wasn't as impressed with it as Tony. When driven near the limits, it clearly displays the front wheel drive handling characteristics (power-on understeer and steering-dependent wheelspin).

Call it a sports car if you like, but don't forget to include the Toyota Celica, Acura Integra, Honda Civic and Prelude, and MINI Cooper.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yep, the VW Rabbit (after a tad bit of power bumpage) is a BLAST to drive.

1 - 20 of 628 Posts