The Lotus Cars Community banner

Can Front-wheel Drive cars be sportscars?

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Elanlover said:
Uhmm..............yes. Your quote is non-existant. Exactly who at Lotus provided THAT quote huh???
From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
According to Lotus sales literature, "The ride and handling engineers at Lotus found that ... There were definite advantages in traction and controllability, and drawbacks such as torque steer, bump steer, and steering kickback were not insurmountable."
:shrug:

·
Registered
88 Posts
PhlypSide said:
There seems to be an M100 "Jihad" going on over here. Why? I don't truly know since this isn't an Elan board
Despite the name of the forum, I thought it was "The Forum for Lotus Cars...."?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
dapinky:

Blah blah blah blah. Oh my, I'm a naughty boy since I care not about the Focus in the UK/Europe. :rolleyes: Sharing a platform is far different from claiming something is a sportscar based on a differing trim/option level, please do let this issue go, as it's truly only yours now. :)

About the only thing I like about you so far is that you've got a FR Elan :) I mistook your raving as that of an M100 extremist, my apologies.

Wikipedia has far more in-depth and esoteric information than a simple dictionary entry, which makes no attempt to go further, and rightfully so. It's a dictionary which is intended to be used by the greatest common denominator of people. While Wikipedia is not necessarily the definitive source on any given topic, it's got far more information in it than a dictionary entry :) But again, what's this got to do with anything?

BTW, the Exige S is being sold here, some members here even own them.

No need to disparage my person, it doesn't really help your argument. And do remember, you started this, oh hero of the hairdressers. :)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
dapinky said:
Next, why do you feel it necessary to denegrate whatever car I own, implying that an M100 is a bit of a hairdressers car??
Funny, my friend James (from UK) always used to call my Elise a hairdresser's car. We laughed about it. :)

dapinky said:
The Elite was ugly as hell!

That said, I AM OUT OF ORDER
Yes, you are... QUITE out of order.

The Elite was the most beautiful Lotus ever.

I say ban him. :D -poke-

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
dapinky said:
Perhaps it could be called, "One mans opinion, like it or F*** Off"
I like it :nanner: :shift:

Lets get the MODs to rename the thread, this is a much better title.

I got one change:

"One dumb sh*t's opinion, like it or F*** Off"

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
I'm not trolling, if I were, I'd start a thread/poll to the effect of:

"Do you think the M100 is a chick car?" Now that would ruffle some feathers.

I'm not picking on the M100, the M100 extremists (most of which have a join date of Dec 2006) have a bit too much emotionally invested in their car.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
PhlypSide said:
I'm not picking on the M100, the M100 extremists (most of which have a join date of Dec 2006) have a bit too much emotionally invested in their car.
Bingo. The M100 is a wonderful car, I'm sure. The fact is that there are a few people here who can't accept anything written that is even the slightest bit negative about their own car...they're too emotionally involved to have an unbiased and rational perspective. The M100 is a great car but it is not as significant as some of the people would have us believe.

I think that if a FWD layout was the best way around a track, the people at Lotus (and Porsche and Ferrari, etc., etc., etc.)would have recognized this and made all their cars FWD.

FWD is not the best way around a track. All of the sports car manufacturers acknowledge this based on what they produce.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
LotusElanM100 said:
I like it :nanner: :shift:

Lets get the MODs to rename the thread, this is a much better title.

I got one change:

"One dumb sh*t's opinion, like it or F*** Off"
Well I suppose the other 99 folks that voted "NO", 62 of which that voted "HELL NO" are "dumb sh*ts" in your estimation as well? :rolleyes:

Perhaps "1=100" when you're living the alternate reality that includes FWD cars as sportscars :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hmm.......can't you just feel the Lotus love in the room?

Or was that a 2x4 I felt? Hard to tell the diffrence right now.

Anyway, let's all take a deep breath. The subject's become more emotional than its worth getting bent outta shape over. However, if some of you here were visitng an Audi forum and saw a poll saying that only AWD cars were sportscars, proceeded to defend the Elise as a sportscar even though it was RWD and had the responses we M100 owners have had thrown at us............

You'd be reacting the same way we are.

And Audi's aren't even Lotuses. You'd at least expect some mutual respect among the Lotus family.

And transio, your attacks are no less personal than anyone else's here. You are in denial and won't or can't accept the truth. I provided the only 3 possible options and you promptly ushered yourself behind door number 2. Ok, fine. Its your opinion and I don't have a desire to debate you on your opinion. Facts, yes. Opinions, no. But, you clearly are denying what evidence I put forth which is unbiased, fully documented and indisputable.

How's that me attacking you?

But really, its not the most important thing in the world such that it dominates our days. Lastly, your quote is not a quote. A quote comes with the originator's NAME attached to it. A specific person not some shadowy group called "Lotus engineers" who can't be named. Exactly who said that? And, if a real name was provided, that quote doesn't, in any way imaginable, state that FWD platforms can't be sportscars. Just the opposite in fact. It says that there are some challenges but Lotus overcame them. To do what? NOT make a sportscar?????

Hey, your 8,000 plus posts in this forum is impressive and I'm sure you're knowledable and have contributed a lot to this group. I just can't understand why you can't find it in yourself to say yes, a FWD car can and has been made as a sportscar. It doesn't matter if there's inherent issues with the design. There's inherent issues with AWD for pete's sake. Guess what? Smart designers work around those problems and develop the car they want to bring to the market.

Anyway, I'm not intending to attack anyone here. Sorry if you felt I was. But, suggesting someone get banned because you're not liking what they are saying is pretty low. I'll bet you made a post or 2 in your life that didn't turn out the way you hoped the other person would read it..............

·
Registered
387 Posts
transio: I think the problem is, you're thinking in reverse.

If I were to tell you that I needed an FWD sportscar, would you say that there's no such thing, or to go buy an M100?

If I were to tell you that I needed an SUV based on a semi truck, would you say that there's no such thing, or to go buy an International CXT?

If I were to tell you that I needed a car that could be used as a boat, would you say that there's no such thing, or to go buy a Amphicar (or a Schwimmwagen)?

If I were to tell you that I needed an emergency vehicle that could double as a race car...

See where I'm going? If you can provide an answer for any of those questions, the answer to "do those exist" is yes. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
PhlypSide said:
And Elise owners aren't? If I owned an Elise instead I'd be emotionally charged about it. See above post referencing Audi forums.....

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Elanlover:

You, dapinky, and LotusElanM100 have all crossed the line with personal attacks. If you were on any of the forums I moderate, I'd definitely ban you.

You're entitled to be passionate about your car, but realize a general statement is not a direct and specific attack on your car.

(Not that my personal opinion really matters in the grand scheme of things, but...) The only thing you all have succeeded in changing my thinking on is that I'm now much more likely to think of M100 owners as having chips on their shoulders as a result of your posts here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
PhlypSide said:
Well I suppose the other 99 folks that voted "NO", 62 of which that voted "HELL NO" are "dumb sh*ts" in your estimation as well? :rolleyes:

No, just you. Reason: because of the ignorant things you have posted within this thread and the ignorant statements you continue to make in order to justify your stupid thread, you have a very limitted understanding of the Lotus Elan M100 and it shows :coolnana:

·
Registered
57 Posts
PhlypSide said:
Elanlover:
If you were on any of the forums I moderate, I'd definitely ban you.

Because why? Because you have been show to be way off base with your postings and your original intentions for this thread has been proven wrong? :nanner2:

So now you would ban us because you do not like being wrong

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
bhtooefr said:
transio: I think the problem is, you're thinking in reverse.

If I were to tell you that I needed an FWD sportscar, would you say that there's no such thing, or to go buy an M100?

If I were to tell you that I needed an SUV based on a semi truck, would you say that there's no such thing, or to go buy an International CXT?

If I were to tell you that I needed a car that could be used as a boat, would you say that there's no such thing, or to go buy a Amphicar (or a Schwimmwagen)?

If I were to tell you that I needed an emergency vehicle that could double as a race car...

See where I'm going? If you can provide an answer for any of those questions, the answer to "do those exist" is yes. ;)
Trust me, he knows. He's been saying that the M100 is a fluke, an exception to the rule/generally held notion all along.

So here's a further explanation of my thoughts that the M100 is the platypus of sportscars....

Mammals give live birth. Mammals nurse their young through mammary glands. Platypus' nurse their young through mammary glands. Platypus' are mammals, but wait, they lay eggs.

Platypus' are indeed Mammals (as are a few other monotremes), but they're the exception not the rule.

If you choose to focus on the wrong aspect of something, you can get wildly divergent and nonsensical answers.

In reverse you could mistakenly postulate:

Platypus' are mammals. Platypus' lay eggs.
Geese lay eggs, therefore Geese are mammals.

My take? I was actually warming up to the idea of the M100 being that exception, the "platypus of sportscars", but now thanks largely to the "efforts" of it's fanbois here, I think M100s are the car of choice for angst-filled hairdressers, but fortunately even amongst them there are exceptions.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
LotusElanM100 said:
Because why? Because you have been show to be way off base with your postings and your original intentions for this thread has been proven wrong? :nanner2:

So now you would ban us because you do not like being wrong
No, you're wrong on both counts.

You may not like my opinion, nor my delivery of that opinion, but I've never attacked you personally.. you on the other hand... well that's why you'd be banned.

BTW, my opinion is not wrong. I'm not the only one of this opinion either, this is why you're wrong.

Are we having fun yet? :)

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Elanlover said:
QUESTION:

Why did PhlypSide start this poll?
EDIT: This is meant in jest since I'm the guy who had the Honda Civic. :)
While intent matters, your posting begs a responding attack and is thus the type of material we ask users to avoid posting. It's a gray area, but in a thread like this one, it's best not to go there.

This thread is getting too personal! There's no right answer here people, there really isn't. We just all have our own opinions, let's all respect that.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
This thread has long since gone overboard on the personal attacks, name calling, and digs - from all sides. :no:

I don't understand why otherwise friendly, intellengent people that share a common interest in Lotus cars can't get along better and agree that some people have differing views.

201 - 220 of 628 Posts