The Lotus Cars Community banner

Can Front-wheel Drive cars be sportscars?

• Total voters
581 - 600 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I think so. It may not be ideal for a sports car, but then, it's not ideal for a large luxury boat like a Mercedes SL either.

It depends what the car is intended for. IMO, the M100 and Mini Cooper S are sports cars because of their performance potential and because they were designed to be able to perform.

Hey, the Civic SI is even listed as an "afforable sports car" on www.edmunds.com :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, glad I was so late to find this thread and cast my vote. The vote was yes, as I am a former M100 owner and can tell you from experience in both the Elise and M100 both are very much sports cars. Each very different from the other. I sold my M100 to buy the Elise and still miss the M100. I also regularly drive an early S2 Elan. All of these are wonderful sports cars and all very different animals.

Mark

I should add a little about a few other fun to drive fwd which mat not be sports car class. My wife drives a Mini S and we have several early original mini's. Yes not in the class of sports car's but I would bet if you road in our 78 mini which is fully tweeked you would speak differently toward it not being a sports car with good handling. Try a 90 street corner at full throttle at 50-60 mph, then stop to clean out your shorts!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have to agree with Mark ,

Back when the earth had not yet cooled I had a 1071 Cooper S with the solid suspension worked the way dave vizard recommended - any way that was the only car I could drive flat out all the way up and down talcot mountain on the way to LRP - and until the M100 was my benchmark for a FWD car -

G

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
0-60 in 11.3 seconds. rotfl

Good looking car though. :)

BTW, I saw an M100 the other night with Elise taillights molded in. It looked pretty cool!!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Saab Sonett marketing BS.

Now it makes complete sense to me - same as GM's BS

They were destined to be soulmates decades ago and just recently consummated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Absolutely !

The SAAB Sonnets (1966-1974) were Front Wheel Drive sports cars. Two-seater, monocoque chassis, fiberglass and yes, like all SAABs of the era, FWD (with freewheel, too).
I have had a 1971 SAAB Sonnet III for 33 years. With a 60/40 weight ration it's a far cry from my '67 Elan (but then again, what isn't). It is a great road rally car but a cone-cruncher in autocross.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
So has this been decided yet? I worry about it every time I drive the Integra.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Okay, I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread, but NO, YOUR ACURA INTEGRA IS NOT A SPORTS CAR:thwack:

The NSX is NOT a sports car - who ever heard of a sports car that you could drive everyday, free of idiosyncrasies and senseless maladies?

Sports cars have two seats (or one) - this eliminates dumb Detroit iron like the Mustang and Camaro. The Corvette and Viper are sports cars, albeit fat ones. Sports cars have tops that come off, or at least the option of coming off and that rule applies except when it doesn't as in such cases as the Ferrari 250GTO. Not all Ferraris are sports cars - 250GTE, 456A, 612, etc...

The Mini is NOT a sports car - it is an economy car that benefited from adding lightness. I'm referring of course to the original Mini, not that new delivery van that my wife drives.

The Prius can be converted to a sports car - simply chop the roof, rip out the back seat to install a 454 with a blower and open pipes and toodle on down the road to the next Al Gore rally.

The Solstice and the Aura? Would putting cross trainers and a skimpy tank top on Rosie O'Donnell make her an athlete? Let's not find out.

The Cadillac XLR? Just because it was designed by a sixth grader in study hall as a 'sports concept vehicle' doesnt make it so. Besides the transversely mid mounted, twin-turbo 12-liter V16 from the original drawing never made it to production.

Subaru STi and Mitsubishi EVO??? Sports cars? Those are rally cars - what the hell is wrong with you stupid kids these days??:thwack::thwack::thwack:

Working our way down the food chain near the bottom where the fartcan equipped Civics dwell; Well, enough said.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
^^^^ Nice. I do feel bad that this thread was placed in the Elan forum though.... the classic Elans are clearly sportscars....

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Okay, I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread, but NO, YOUR ACURA INTEGRA IS NOT A SPORTS CAR:thwack:

The NSX is NOT a sports car - who ever heard of a sports car that you could drive everyday, free of idiosyncrasies and senseless maladies?

Sports cars have two seats (or one) - this eliminates dumb Detroit iron like the Mustang and Camaro. The Corvette and Viper are sports cars, albeit fat ones. Sports cars have tops that come off, or at least the option of coming off and that rule applies except when it doesn't as in such cases as the Ferrari 250GTO. Not all Ferraris are sports cars - 250GTE, 456A, 612, etc...

The Mini is NOT a sports car - it is an economy car that benefited from adding lightness. I'm referring of course to the original Mini, not that new delivery van that my wife drives.

The Prius can be converted to a sports car - simply chop the roof, rip out the back seat to install a 454 with a blower and open pipes and toodle on down the road to the next Al Gore rally.

The Solstice and the Aura? Would putting cross trainers and a skimpy tank top on Rosie O'Donnell make her an athlete? Let's not find out.

The Cadillac XLR? Just because it was designed by a sixth grader in study hall as a 'sports concept vehicle' doesnt make it so. Besides the transversely mid mounted, twin-turbo 12-liter V16 from the original drawing never made it to production.

Subaru STi and Mitsubishi EVO??? Sports cars? Those are rally cars - what the hell is wrong with you stupid kids these days??:thwack::thwack::thwack:

Working our way down the food chain near the bottom where the fartcan equipped Civics dwell; Well, enough said.
Sheesh, I was joking, but now I'm crushed :confused:

Why do you guys care, anyway?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...eric, if you can't accept the Z0K solstice as a sportscar, you clearly haven't fairly evaluated it...likewise, the NSX was available as a targa, and is as much a sportscar as anything this side of a dedicated track machine...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I care because I believe.

The M100 a sports car? I think so, at least in the broad sense; and not so broad that it includes mustangs or anything made by Japan in the last 30 years except the Miaita.

The M100 qualifies as a GT though. It has many of the characteristics of the Esprit and Elan +2.

The trouble is that people relate sports car to goodness. It is just a classification, not a judgment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good Grief, what a can or emotions :)

I also own a 91 Cadillac Allante, which was totally promoted during it's heyday as Cadillac's sports car answer to the Corvette. In remembering some of the literature from the time, I think that they actually used terms like "exceptional Sports Car handling" and "performance to rival the Corvette".

Now, as it was a front wheel drive car, I can tell you that power-on driving in corners is definitely very brisk, but in truth, apart from the pretty Pininfarina body, and the EXACT SAME fuel rail used in the Esprit S4, nothing else about it says to me "Sports Car" The driving feel is heavy, and the car feels like it's swimming THROUGH the road, against a turbulent current (once again the result of having power-on and power-off steering characteristics) Also, despite having "280 horsepower" the weight of the car combined with the lousy automatic transmission make it feel like I'm driving a peppy toyota camry.

Cadillac was (in my opinion) dumb to make that car a front wheel drive when there was so much room to keep it to the original specs which called out for a RWD car, which was changed to "lighten" the overall weight of the car... probably what killed sales after only a 5 year run...........

Paul
(951)206-9156
94S4 (needing a 2nd gear, if any of you have one for sale)
85TE

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...they might perform exceptionally well, but the surely don't meet the classic definition of a sportscar...

581 - 600 of 628 Posts