The Lotus Cars Community banner

Can Front-wheel Drive cars be sportscars?

• Total voters
601 - 620 of 628 Posts

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
I had one of these as a DD back in the 70's. Narrow V4 ala VR6 placed fore and aft with equal length drive shafts, Very difficult to tell it was front wheel drive. Fulvia had a great deal of success in ralley during the mid to late 60's
very under appreciated car in NA.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
...eric, if you can't accept the Z0K solstice as a sportscar, you clearly haven't fairly evaluated it...likewise, the NSX was available as a targa, and is as much a sportscar as anything this side of a dedicated track machine...
WOAH, WOAh, WOah, Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah.... Read again - most of that post was tongue firmly in cheek. Did you see anything in the NSX that legitimately disqualified it as a sports car? :shrug: No, I had to fabricate a bunch of codswallop about chronic reliability...

As for the Solstice, regardless of its track chops, most of them are still destined for the convertible Solara customer (sadly) and it is a tad LARGE... I'd take the Miata hands down.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #603
I care because I believe.

The M100 a sports car? I think so, at least in the broad sense; and not so broad that it includes mustangs or anything made by Japan in the last 30 years except the Miaita
Disagree with you on the M100 being a sportscar and the following not.........

Honda S2000
Honda NSX
Mazda/Efini FC3S/FD3S RX-7
Nissan 350Z/370Z
Suzuki Cappucino
Toyota MR-2/MR-S

The trouble is that people relate sports car to goodness. It is just a classification, not a judgment.
^^^^^^^ Bingo. /thread :bow:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Absolutely, the strongest case IMO is the Saab Sonett:

Saab Sonett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Freakin' sweet. Not a lot of power, but definitely a sports car.

No question RWD is better on a trackcar (with the possible exception of better handling rally cars). Power goes thataway (points backwards) when you accelerate.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Absolutely, the strongest case IMO is the Saab Sonett:

Saab Sonett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Freakin' sweet. Not a lot of power, but definitely a sports car.

No question RWD is better on a trackcar (with the possible exception of better handling rally cars). Power goes thataway (points backwards) when you accelerate.
The first generation of that is interesting in that it has a mid-front engine placement, unlike a traditional FWD vehicle.
Mid-engine, front-wheel drive layout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The Prius can be converted to a sports car - simply chop the roof, rip out the back seat to install a 454 with a blower and open pipes and toodle on down the road to the next Al Gore rally.

Someone please do this, that would be great. rotfl

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I would agree that the Saab is a sports car. I would also put the S2000 & MR2 in that category. The early RX7 might be a sports car although it is a bit luxurious.

Possibly a Lancia model or two would also meet with my idea of sports car.

Back in the day a Cord might have qualified as a sports car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I need to intro myself... but I have to throw my hat in the ring here...

Yes there is such thing as a front drive sports car... I have 1986 GLHS #174 out in my shop that proves it... yeah... four doors and all... and in my never humble opinion it definitely fits my definition of a sports car...

But...

As soon as I finish up paying off the house I intend to have an Elise parked next to it....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mazdaspeed 3 is kick ass

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Mazdaspeed 3 is kick ass
The car mags who've had the latest one in their long term fleets over the last year are not as enthusiastic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Of course it its.
Look at the Nürburgring 24h Race 2008. VW came up with a lightly! tuned Engine Scirocco, and was 8th in complete classsment (1 in class)!
Just a look over the starting Grid tells, that there are plenty cars with RWD and even double the power which weren't that fast. :bow:

So it is pretty clear, a FWD Car is definetly a sports car. Its just all about, lets say,reputation.

Greetings from Germany

Dino

Attachments

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Of course it its.
Look at the Nürburgring 24h Race 2008. VW came up with a lightly! tuned Engine Scirocco, and was 8th in complete classsment (1 in class)!
Just a look over the starting Grid tells, that there are plenty cars with RWD and even double the power which weren't that fast. :bow:

So it is pretty clear, a FWD Car is definetly a sports car. Its just all about, lets say,reputation.

Greetings from Germany

Dino
That's a nice performance/race car, and it's success is admirable.

But even if it were RWD, I don't know too many people that would consider it a sports car. Performance sedan/hatchback maybe, but not a sports car.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ideal front wheel drive sports car. You have to walk around it to lock all 4 doors....

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a nice performance/race car, and it's success is admirable.

But even if it were RWD, I don't know too many people that would consider it a sports car. Performance sedan/hatchback maybe, but not a sports car.
Hello,

you are absolutely right, it is like that! I must admit.

I have driven many cars (due to my Student Job(mechanic in a Classic Car Garage)), a lot of Supercars included.
All RWD, and there were plenty of these cars which even don't earn the name Tourer.

To me a sports car (I like more the word fast drivable car) is a car which gives you more, than you would expect, can be a Lamborghini but can also be a "Hot Hatch".

Which wheels are "torqued" is absolutely on second place.

e.g. my Jeep Wrangler is more sports car than others (It has a roll cage ;-) )

Cheers

Dino

·
Registered
431 Posts
Haven't read through all 31 pages, but have the FWD turbo DSMs (Talon, Exclipse, Laser) been mentioned? Specifically the 1st generation before they got fat. I went for an enthusiastic test drive in a Boxster (maybe a used 99 in 03) when I was getting rid of my 90 FWD DSM and my conclusion was "That was good, but no better than my Talon. Definitely not $50K better", and the search continued. Then I drove an Esprit and the Lotus lust started.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Apparently not...

...at least according to a somewhat crotchety old wag at the latest San Diego British Car Day, where we had 4 M100s on display. The gentleman walked up in his MG Octagon shirt and said in a very thick Midlands accent, "Hmm, that's front wheel drive, innit?"

"Why, yes it is!" I answered, smiling.:D

"Too bad. Can't be Loowtus if its got front wheel drive," mutters the man as he walked off, shaking his head.

Sotto voce, loud enough for him to hear, I couldn't help myself saying, "OK, go get your MG and try to keep up..." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
IMO, a sports car must have the following attributes:
1. Two doors - no more. (If it has more, it's probably a GT car, or sport sedan. Different cars, different uses.)
2. Two seats - no more (if it has more, it's a GT car in my book - and there's nothing wrong with GT cars!)
3. Manufacturer recommended tires cannot be all-seasons.
4. Trunk space should range from minimal to laughable. Fitting a bag of golf clubs and two bags of groceries should about fill up whatever non-cabin storage space it has. There are some exceptions, such as the Corvette, which has an obscene amount of storage space for a sports car.
5. Enough power to get you in trouble *effortlessly*.
6. Teenage and younger boys must be able to immediately identify it as a sports car - styling counts and sports cars are obvious!
7. If your average wife doesn't give you grief for wanting/buying one (new), it's not a real sports car. The older the car can be and still give you this kind of grief, the better.
8. It's practicality cannot be it's first, second or third best attribute. Ideally practicality is not an attribute of the car.

Flame on...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
IMO, a sports car must have the following attributes:
1. Two doors - no more. (If it has more, it's probably a GT car, or sport sedan. Different cars, different uses.)
2. Two seats - no more (if it has more, it's a GT car in my book - and there's nothing wrong with GT cars!)
3. Manufacturer recommended tires cannot be all-seasons.
4. Trunk space should range from minimal to laughable. Fitting a bag of golf clubs and two bags of groceries should about fill up whatever non-cabin storage space it has. There are some exceptions, such as the Corvette, which has an obscene amount of storage space for a sports car.
5. Enough power to get you in trouble *effortlessly*.
6. Teenage and younger boys must be able to immediately identify it as a sports car - styling counts and sports cars are obvious!
7. If your average wife doesn't give you grief for wanting/buying one (new), it's not a real sports car. The older the car can be and still give you this kind of grief, the better.
8. It's practicality cannot be it's first, second or third best attribute. Ideally practicality is not an attribute of the car.

Flame on...
I can see your reasoning on everything except point 5. A lot of classic sports cars weren't very powerful.

601 - 620 of 628 Posts