The Lotus Cars Community banner

Can Front-wheel Drive cars be sportscars?

• Total voters
621 - 628 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Lots of strong opinions, and for good reason; nobody wants their ideals/dreams crapped on. That said, I take a more holistic approach to the term "sports car". To me it's simply a vehicle that brings joy to the driver through driving. I can understand the strong opinions where sports cars should be this or that in terms of physical specification, but to me that only limits the possibility you might simply love driving something that doesn't fit those rigid guidelines. It could be that I was never a fan of accepting what society told me what I was supposed to like and was determined to discover driving pleasure on my own.

Has anyone brought up Evo magazines 100 greatest drivers' cars of all time? Those would be my definition of a sports car, and there are a handful of front-drivers in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure why anyone would say no. I've owned 2 and yes they are incredable sports cars. Unless you have driven one you're opinion (vote) doesn't count. I currently own my second original Elan (S2) and have a owned a total of 12 rear wheel drive sports cars (Bugeye, Tigers, Alpines, Miatas, Alfa, and Elans). The M100 is a real sports car!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Front wheel drive sports car

Absolutely- the SAAB Sonnet was pure sports car - whether you had it with 3 cyl 2-stroke or the V-4. Had a '71 for over 35 years. Not the greatest auto cross car (especially compared to my '67 Elan) but wonderful for road rallies- especially after putting in a turbocharger. Fun car and plastic-fantastic, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The SAAB Sonnet - in both 2-stroke and V-4 configurations was definitely a sports car. FWD, 2 seater, 4 speed and lots of torque. Had a '71 for 35 years. Was great for road rally (especially after I turbo-charged it) but with 60% of the weight on the front end, it was a bear at autocross (Never could keep up with that Elan....)

·
Registered
312 Posts
H#ll no, FWD cannot handle enough HP to be considered a sports car, if you have a high HP FWD car it will handle and drive like garbage. BTW I DD a '13 Cooper S

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm not a fan, and obviously for any given car, RWD has more performance potential.

That said, I voted yes. if we start looking at some of the POS RWD cars out there that are billed as sports cars, I'd rather have a nice Mini any day.

IMO, sports car just means a car that is designed more for driving enjoyment than baby seats or whatever, so there are a lot of cars I don't necessarily love that fit the bill.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So what you're saying is an elise isn't a sports car since it has less power than a Mini Cooper S?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Not at all, but the Lotus has a much better hp to weight ratio and sends the power to the proper wheels with an excellent weight balance and the engine in the correct location. My Exige is a NA '06 and I think it is an excellent sports car with its 190hp

621 - 628 of 628 Posts