The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Is This A Dealer Scam Or Are We All In For A Surprise?

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  khamai 
#1 ·
I saw this post at the Roadfly BBS. This guy claims his dealer told him that AC, PW & PL are now no longer included on the base car and must be added as options (at additional expense).

Personally I want AC as it can get pretty hot in the Liz. Anyone else heard about this or is this dealer pulling some sort of scam:confused:

http://lotus.roadfly.org/lotus/forums/elise/forum.php?postid=4028249&page=1

#4 ·
A stripped version would be great, I hope that it's not just because they couldn't meet the base price that's been projected though. All I really wanted was AC because you will literally die out here without it. I would trust the fact that R&T was there and seen the cars and said what they would come with but ya never know.

#8 ·
Can't see how the electric windows would weigh less, they still need the same mechanism, its just driven by a motor now and not a handle.

Be interesting if they do make these things extras, would be more consistent with the UK pricing...

p.s. I'd go for the aircon if I was you. Mid engined cars can get pretty hot in the cabin from engine bay heatsoak. Wish I had it and I live in London!

#11 ·
Modern Wedgie said:
Woohoo...I hope those things arent on the car! Less stuff for me to pull off!
I'm with you Wedge! I've removed my airbags, spare wheel/tools and power assist steering from the Spyder. Figured out that I don't need the battery in the car iether as long as I keep one to start the car at home and light jumper cables in the car, I can always start off someone elses battery (JK). Seriously though I could live without power doorlocks and the AC isn't really necessary in SoCal but I will probably use it on especially hot days.

#12 ·
I can guess why you guys in the states may need air con. It can get a bit too hot with the roof off ie direct sun on the top of your head. But in the UK it is only seen as a wusses option it rarely gets above 30 C here, so not worth the extra cost. We so rarely get enough sunshine to warrant the roof being off, so when the sun shines we ain't keeping the top on just to get the best out of the air con.

Central locking durr talk about bone idle just turn the key twice everything is locked. More often than not one of the doors remains locked anyway.

Electric windows = extra weight and the hand wind ones can be wound up or down in next to no time. You can reach both from the drivers side easily so don't spend the money on this. Save your cash for other benificial mods (TT perhaps).

And as for base model v S model in the UK there are many variants of the S2 liz already and it is purely to sell more cars for lotus. If you want the extras you can get them for whichever car you have. Be different, be individual, add your own bits and be the talk of the town at your local meets. The only thing it appears you can't get is a trunk rack. Now that would be useful to most people but lotus appear to be too busy making niff naff like cup holders. (only joking).

#13 ·
30 C = 86 F.

In Southern California, we get temperatures near or above this many months of the year, and routinely above this during the summer months. So even in a convertible, it's nice to be able to blow some cool air around, particularly if you aren't moving fast.

I'm hoping that the Lotus has a big enough radiator to handle the extra load applied by A/C. My Miata can't, so A/C becomes useless during some of the situations when you really want it.

#14 ·
The summer here high 80 to mid 90's is the norm....with LOTS of humidity. We also see 100-110 degree days too...I recall 112 not too many summers ago.

I had a few mountain bike races in California and the competition kept complaining the day was opressively hot and how they werent sure how things were going to play out due to the extreme temps....it was mid 90's and felt like a dream to me because there wasnt humidity. Conversely we had a NORBA national championship race here in Kentucky at a Ski resort and some of the bigger names "tomac, furtado, etc etc" were getting sick and puking because they couldnt take the humidity. Turbo cars dont like humidity either. :(

#15 ·
Personally, I'll be on the street most of the time, so I'll keep the AirCon, Power door locks and power windows. Besides the weight difference is minimal... internal sources put the addition of power locks and windows at a 1/2 lbs gain. A/C is good for another 7 lbs. A bit of dieting on my part would take care of that weight!

Kiyoshi

#16 ·
I have faith in Lotus engineering, but if someone told you 7lbs for AC they were probably incorrect.

I believe the underpowered AC developed to be ultralight for the S1 Exige was 17kg. As said this is exceptionally light, and the result was deemed to be quite underpowered.

That is probably the minimum you can expect an AC to weigh.

Additional weight in the Federalized Elise probably comes from:

1. Heavier engine,
2. Airbags,
3. AC
4. Side impact bars
5. Additional sound deadening, thicker seats, carpets (comfort stuff)

Central locking and power windows shouldn't be significant. I have no clue at all what an ABS system tends to weigh.

Anyone out there have a guess for the ABS?

Jonathan

#17 ·
why all this stuff

The reason why we have all this extra "stuff" on our cars is simple. Name one other car that the Elise would compete with that has those ammenities as options. The anwser is none. In order to keep the resale value high on the presold examples and have some kind of market once all the preorders run out, Lotus needs to market a car that can be at least somewhat competeitive with cars which it will be cross shopped against. A base Elise v. a Z4, SLK, Corvette or Boxter wouldn't have a chance when evaluated by a "typical" doctor, lawyer or indian chief (not to mention their wives). I don't mean to sterotype anyone but the fact of the matter is that once the real enthusiests have their cars, it is going to be those who are going to buy these cars as weekend runabouts that need to be satisfied.

#22 ·
I removed and weighed the A/C parts in my MR2, which shares some similarity in that location of the A/C components.

The exchanger up front was about 4 pounds. ALL the tubing from the engine bay to the front, including the reservoir was under 2 pounds.

Almost all the weight was the compressor, which was closer to 30 pounds.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.