The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have had so many posts and emails regarding my trailer I thought I would pass on what I know.

Call David Saville Peck he will have one build for you. 250-246-9922

I have towed race cars and rally cars all over the UK for the past 30 years. I have NEVER EVER towed a trailer like this.

Keep this quiet.

I have towed my Caterham on the trailer many times at over 100 mph, rock solid, no swaying no tugging. Just brilliant.

Oh, by the way the trailer has no brakes. Doesn’t need it here in Canada under 3000 lbs. The brakes on the STI are MORE than capable of stopping it all.

If I had known that all you guys were interested in was my trailer I would have joined the Caravan Club. Sulk, Sulk.:nanner:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Oh, by the way the trailer has no brakes. Doesn’t need it here in Canada under 3000 lbs.
You don't need brakes on trailers with load ratings under 3,000 lbs in most areas of the US either. My utility trailer is rated at 2,900 lbs simply because that didn't require brakes. I've also towed my Elan on that trailer with no problems at all - total towing weight of around 2,500 lbs. Just be aware and leave some extra space, but even then, the trucks brakes can more than handle it.

But, yes, my next trailer will have brakes...

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Yes....you can leave room...and 99% of the time that is ok. It is that one time you will need that extra stopping power and you will be out of luck.

I know...been there and done that. It was only luck that I did not plow into the car ahead of me. To this day I dont know how I stopped.

I just came up too fast on a stopped line of traffic at a toll booth outside of Philly...with an Europa on my trailer..that had brakes. No question that if I had not had brakes...I would have hit the car in front. I missed by less than a few inches.

There is also issue of a steep incline or is that decline. But you can use the trailer brakes to slow down your tow vehicle. You would be surprised how fast you can over heat brakes on a tow vehicle.

Look at the trailex.com website. They have the best trailers.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I am looking for compact aluminum open trailer to tow my 7 as well as Elise. Will your guy build one like yours with bakes? Where is he located, and much was it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts