The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting an 2005 elise - 24k miles. Asking price of $29k, but I may be able to get it for $27k.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
You should pick a different arbitrary number without any details to ask about.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yes.
$29K is a good price, $27 would be a better price (for the buyer)

But either is a good price

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes.
$29K is a good price, $27 would be a better price (for the buyer)

But either is a good price
Great thanks, I'll take it for a spin tomorrow and will purchase if I like it.

How difficult is it to have an Elise repainted?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Great thanks, I'll take it for a spin tomorrow and will purchase if I like it.

How difficult is it to have an Elise repainted?
FYI, most likely if they are putting the car up for $29, that is what they want. You may be able to haggle a little, but $2K is a lot.

Anywhoo...

What color is it the car now and why on earth do you want it re-painted?

I would say repaint would be no more or less difficult to paint than any car. If you are going to get it done right, I would say pretty pricy (to remove all the plastic vent covers, could be less if they plan on only masking)

For an example, Criswell (dealership by me) wanted $3K just to paint the front clam. I would say that is nasty rediculous crazy expensive, but typical if you go to a dealer for a quote.

Figure about $2-3K give or take a few $ for the whole car at a body shop (depending on the paint you choose and the quality of job they can do too).

TorsinADoc, hows that popped corn treating you? Wanna send some my way?

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI, most likely if they are putting the car up for $29, that is what they want. You may be able to haggle a little, but $2K is a lot.

Anywhoo...

What color is it the car now and why on earth do you want it re-painted?

I would say repaint would be no more or less difficult to paint than any car. If you are going to get it done right, I would say pretty pricy (to remove all the plastic vent covers, could be less if they plan on only masking)

For an example, Criswell (dealership by me) wanted $3K just to paint the front clam. I would say that is nasty rediculous crazy expensive, but typical if you go to a dealer for a quote.

Figure about $2-3K give or take a few $ for the whole car at a body shop (depending on the paint you choose and the quality of job they can do too).

TorsinADoc, hows that popped corn treating you? Wanna send some my way?

Dave
The color is pumpkin orange, but I'd like to paint phantom black or flat black. I saw a 2006 with only 8k miles going for 29k, but the dealership is about 200 miles away.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The color is pumpkin orange, but I'd like to paint phantom black or flat black. I saw a 2006 with only 8k miles going for 29k, but the dealership is about 200 miles away.

Its no brainer - go for the one with 8k miles. 200 miles - what is it? 2hours back home?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its no brainer - go for the one with 8k miles. 200 miles - what is it? 2hours back home?
Yes, dark green color. I would like to have the char checked out by a dealership before committing. It may be easier for me to get the 05 since the dealership is fairly close. I'll try to use the 06 as leverage to reduce the 05 down even more.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
First, you may want to research Lotus cars a little more if you are calling ot pumpkin orange...make sure you know what you are getting into and if its what you really want to do...

2nd, 26-27 for a car with 24,xxx miles on it would be fair, 29 is too much from what you see selling on here... 200 miles away is nothing, wait for the right car and search the entire country...why not get exactly what you want and just spend a little for shipping or fly out and drive it home...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yes, dark green color. I would like to have the char checked out by a dealership before committing. It may be easier for me to get the 05 since the dealership is fairly close. I'll try to use the 06 as leverage to reduce the 05 down even more.
There you go!

Good luck with the purchase.

Orange is a great color (although, can be a bit flashy). mine was Nightfall Blue and I loved it. You may think about getting it wrapped in vinyl rather than repainting. Could be cheaper, not perminant, and give you some options (also making it easier to sell when you want to get rid of it).

D

·
Registered
780 Posts
Please don't paint over a perfectly good color. You will kill the value of the car. Like Cory said do some more research. Take your time and you will find the one you like.

It doesn't make much sense to me, to buy a car for 27k and spend at least 3k on paint.:shrug:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Also a factor is replacing the Star Shield if getting repainted ,$700 or so ? If you are going to bother getting it repainted I would highly recommend getting several really beefy extra thick clear coats. That said I would also recommend trying to find a used car in the color you want. VIN numbers indicate the original color of a car so your resale value does go to crap when it comes time to sell if you repaint unless you are willing to put out the $$$ to put it back to the stock color. Funny story we went into a really lame overpriced "classic car" dealership, they had an "Original show room condition " 1966 "GTO" for sale at a really really high price. We had just restored one so we knew the VIN codes by heart, the car was originally a Le mans, was the wrong color, wrong interior color and had the wrong engine.... we laughed in the salesmans face and also pointed out the rust bubble in the paint on the trunk

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Considering the expense (and hassle) of repainting + re-starshielding, you might just want to consider spending $30k for an Elise that's already in the color combo you're looking for.

And as mentioned, when a car's been repainted, the value of the car tends to diminish.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah, don't repaint..

I saw a ton of good deals on "pumpkin orange" (your word) cars before I bought my silver one. Its too expensive if you want good paint.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If color matters to you, buy a car in the color you want. There's some great deals out there right now. Buying a 25k car for 27k and then spending another 3k because of the color is crazy! Search cars.com, buy from a reputable dealer, fly out to the car, and then drive it back.

How many cars have you test driven so far?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Search for Elises nationally until you find exactly the one you want. Very high quality shipping from anywhere in the US costs a lot less than the crappiest paint job.

For example, I live in CA but I bought my Elise in MA. I had it shipped via enclosed carrier, fully insured, for $1400. I'm from that area originally, though, so my family and friends were able to check the car out for me. Consider doing something like this rather than buying a car that's not exactly what you want and then spending piles of money and hurting its value to make it into what you like.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
I agree with the comments above - find a car in the colour you want as the cost of a good respray is non-trivial.

VIN numbers indicate the original color of a car...
This is not the case with Lotus - the VIN does not identify the original factory colour (but if you call the factory and quote the VIN they will tell you its original specs :))

1 - 19 of 19 Posts