The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pretty good, but Im sure you can find some others out there with a couple more extras at the same price. Give or take 2-4k miles on it

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
overall condition and maintance is everything - so its impossible to say without seeing the car - thats a fair price for a very nice car, you can of course find cheaper cars all day long, but frequently, they will can have issues or stories.

(i wouldn't sell my car for less than that, but mine is very nice in a lot of ways compared to some others)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The 05 guys trying to prop the resale market up. :D

$37k for an 05 without a hardtop is too high.

If the car is perfect, unmodified, one owner, with hardtop, sport package, touring package and premium color, then $37k would be at the top of the price range. If any of those options or characteristics are missing, $$ needs to come off the price.

Most 05s seem to be going in the low 30s.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
2005 almost 5K miles. Soft top a/c (no fog lights?) $36,995
Sounds like what a dealer might be asking for a clean, low miles car.
But just browse the For Sale forum here and you can probably get a better idea what private parties are selling their 05' and 06's for.
(or what they've sold for).

Also browse around some more to get an idea what options you'd want.
Touring pack (which included electric windows in the 05's), Sport Pack
- and hardtop are all options that can add value to an Elise - but that might also depend on whether you desire to track your car.
soft top and a/c are standard.
fog lights were/are a dealer installed option.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
You have both extremes posting here. Very few 05 cars sell in the mid 30s and even fewer below 28K. Yes..you do get the ocassional aboration...like the poster with the 25.5K car. That is unusual. He knows it or is very sheltered.

A fair price for a 05 with hardtop and low miles is 32K to 34K.

Anything either side of that is either a good deal or a bad deal.

I know Elise prices. I am not wrong. I know the market.

Prices will start to go down the closer we get to the end of the northern driving season....and they will come back up in the spring.

·
Registered
933 Posts
no, but he is right. I got a low price because of miles and i just wanted you to know that lower priced elises are out there. I still think that 35 is way much, look around 30 and you will be getting a far price.

Now get out there and find the one you like, i would have payed 5,000 more for a KG one with a hardtop :)

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
5k miles is pretty low for an 05. Assuming it's in good shape (and had its servicing), I'd aim for more like 33k

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Priced too high!
I got my 2005 with 5K miles with hard top and sports pkg for just under 30K. I know I got a good deal, but as previously said, I think a fair price would be anywhere from 30K to 33K

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man this forum is awesome. Never thought i would get so many useful replies so quickly.

Thanks everybody for chiming in; I will definitely do some browsing in the ads here. I initially thought that it would be counter-productive to shop on this forum.

I drove the car and it seems to be in good shape. Upon startup the engine would choke out a bit when I gave it some throttle; the A/C seems to struggle to keep the cabin cool; and the previous owner wasn't very careful in his wax-jobs. The salesman said that the first two things were common of Elises in New Mexico heat.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Yep - not good AC is standard. There are a couple things you could try to fix it a little, but it isn't comparable to most cars

·
Banned
874 Posts
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE Price. I can get you a BRAND NEW '08 Elise for 40-42k. I can do this for ANYONE who pm's me. I'm serious. Plus, if a '05 or '06 Elise has low miles, it doesnt make that much of a difference since it is almost 3-4 years old so it really doesnt matter as much as a newer one would. I would offer him 28K. Average price for 05-06 Elise is 32K.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm in the market as well, been looking for a few weeks. 32K - 34K sounds about right for a clean 05 with low mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Im sheltered :rolleyes:

Maybe I used the wrong word. What I meant to imply was nothing negative. You could be in a place where there are a lot of Elises...or you could have bought it at an Auction....or just got lucky and found one that the person selling did not know what they had.

Lowest price I have seen lately for a 30K car was a BRG one on EBay..like 26.5K. I thought that was a steal. It had some sort of speedo issue...but that was all as I recall.

I still think I am bang on with the prices.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Too high. I would not pay anything more than 31K. Most of the people "talk up" the price here since they own one as well.
Check the "Lotus for Sale" forum and there are few good cars which are still unsold for seemingly "low price." I just picked up a fully loaded 7 months old 07 Exige S for under 50K. :D

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Man this forum is awesome. Never thought i would get so many useful replies so quickly.

Thanks everybody for chiming in; I will definitely do some browsing in the ads here. I initially thought that it would be counter-productive to shop on this forum.

I drove the car and it seems to be in good shape. Upon startup the engine would choke out a bit when I gave it some throttle; the A/C seems to struggle to keep the cabin cool; and the previous owner wasn't very careful in his wax-jobs. The salesman said that the first two things were common of Elises in New Mexico heat.
ecu can be grumpy like that - just the way it is - A/C, as mention, can be tweeked to perform better. so thats fairly common stuff.

Dealers will (usually) be higher than a private sale - of course if a 2 days latter you discover something was misrepresented... you have leverage with a reputable dealer. yadda yadda - hence the extra margin vs. a typical private sale. and as allways -expect a dealer to come ~1k off with tactfull asking.

at that price there should be no expeptions - tires very good, fresh oil change, very clean (detailed) in and out, nice shine, maybe a few mods you like here or there. etc... just depends on where your priorities are - some people are very picky about specific options and colors and perfect cosmetics - expect to pay more. if you not so picky, flexible, your options open up in the market to look for better deals - if your cash and carry you can do pretty well on a good private sale, some people only buy from dealers... - heck there is a white 08 exige s for something like 56k for sale on here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts