Here is the link for the car. If any of you can help me with this I would
appreciate it.
Click This Link from Louie!

Thanks!
TC

·
Registered
127 Posts
Would be surprised if if was road legal, since even in Europe its wasnt, only in the UK, but its cheap for the condition it seems to be in.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
If it had an engine swap and is currently running an engine that has already been certified for use in CA and is from a 1999 or newer donor car, then there's a chance it's street legal. Apart from that, I'd say no, it's not legal, ESPECIALLY in California.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Just a thought, but if it IS street legal, then I think if you run a Carfax on it you'd see when and where it was registered. Doesn't mean the previous owner didn't pull some strings to get it registered, but it'd help back up the dealer's story.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Louie, I keep fixing your link. Please let is stay fixed so people can click on it.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More info

Hi,
Randy..not messing with the link AND thanks for making the subject line better :)
The motor is a ROVER motor and I am pretty sure it has carbs.

There is evidence of a non OE bar being installed in the door. Maybe part of
some federalization effort. I don't know.

I emailed the dealer and hopefully they will put me in contact with the owner.

From what you guys are telling me...this thing is probably track only...

TC

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'd worry about a car that the dealer reports as 2933 mi, but carfax reports as passing emissions at 56,320 miles. Also, looks like it was never registered, likely, not street legal.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 5 billion vehicle history events and found 5 record(s) for this vehicle (SCCGA1112XHE34040).

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
03/01/1999 US Customs Vehicle exported from Germany and imported to Charleston, SC
11/02/2000 California Motor Vehicle Dept. Irvine, CA Title issued or updated First owner reported Loan or lien reported
12/21/2000 California Motor Vehicle Dept. Irvine, CA Title Issued or updated Duplicate title issued Loan or lien reported
12/27/2006 56,320 California Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection
04/10/2008 Dealer Inventory Huntington Beach, CA Vehicle offered for sale

found carfax report when I googled the VIN

these shots, "look" like track car shots too...

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
No way that car is street legal, especially given that it still has the Rover engine. And how long could you park it in public before some kid decides to yank on the fire pull.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
No way that car is street legal, especially given that it still has the Rover engine. And how long could you park it in public before some kid decides to yank on the fire pull.
+1 -- absolutely impossible to (legally) make it street legal in CA as is!

The Lotus factory never made an Elise/Exige that was U.S. street legal until the Toyota motor variants were introduced starting in 2005.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Not street legal.

Sales folk at dealerships are often very misinformed or just make stuff up on the fly. I met a man who was purchasing a "street legal" 2-11 from Norm Baker in LV. Told him it wasn't possible here in the states. He proceeded to argue vehemently that the dealer assured him that there is a US street legal version and that was what he would receive. I wished him the best of luck with that and went on my way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
very nice these s1's ;)

Happen to have one, but than again I live in Europe :)

May I ask why the rover moter is thte problem for us law? Isn't the problem that it has no airbags, esp, abs etc etc?

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
very nice these s1's ;)

Happen to have one, but than again I live in Europe :)

May I ask why the rover moter is thte problem for us law? Isn't the problem that it has no airbags, esp, abs etc etc?
The Rover engine was never emissions complied for the US. I think airbags and ABS are other issues but the engine is the biggie.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've always like the S1 as well, but with an asking price of $32k why not just get a hassle free S2? Nice ones can be found at that price if you look a little.

Noble

·
Inactive
831 Posts
Be aware that state registration does not mean that the car has complied with federal law. There is no way I know of that a S1 elise/exige is legal on public roads in the US.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
It was never street legal in the US regardless of engine type.
Correct. Even doing an engine swap does not make the car legal. The car was imported into the US as a race car, and is not eligible for street use. If you could get it registered, you would still be in violation of Federal regulations, and the car could be subject to confenscaation and destruction.

Be aware that state registration does not mean that the car has complied with federal law. There is no way I know of that a S1 elise/exige is legal on public roads in the US.
Yes, several people have managed to register illegal Elises for road use in various states. However, it's still a violation of Federal law. Just because of lax state regulations, doesn't make it "legal".

·
Registered
167 Posts
...The car was imported into the US as a race car, and is not eligible for street use. If you could get it registered, you would still be in violation of Federal regulations...
The status of this car might be less clear than it first seems. The CARFAX info earlier in this thread says that it was imported from Germany. If correct, that means that this car is probably not one of the LCUSA Sport 190s, which I believe all came directly from Lotus Sport in the UK.

So the federal status of this car depends upon the exact terms of its importation, which might be worth checking rather than assuming.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts