The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, lets say I do decide to pull the trigger and buy a Lotus Evora. I like to play Devils Advocate and ask myself whats the worse that could happen. So, is below the Worst Case scenario for me?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I buy the Lotus Evora and it has problems. I contact the dealer to come and pick it up, it needs warranty work. He has told me they run trucks through the Indiana area on a somewhat regular basis. Assume that means that they will have a truck in the Indiana area around once every two weeks or so. He has also told me typically when they pick up or return cars to customers they will usually split the costs. He told me to pick the car up and return it could either be 1) free, 2) say around $200, or 3) $1.50 a mile for a special trip for me. At $1.50 a mile the round trip would cost me about $750.

So, in a worst case scenario i have the dealer pick up the car when they are in the area. So, therefore, I could be without it for anywhere from one to four weeks, depending upon the repairs. They might charge me $200 or they might charge me $500 for shipping. In the meantime i have my Porsche to drive until the Lotus is returned.

The salesman recommended i pay the $150 to AAA in case the car breaks down and wont run. That way it would be free towing to the closest Lotus dealership.

Figuring that I am going to make one trip a year to St. Louis for ROUTINE maintenance could i expect the above situation to happen more than, say, two times a year? There's a difference between something going wrong that FORCES you to get the car to the dealership and something going wrong that can wait until your next visit.

Thoughts? Is the above the Worst Case scenario for me?

Mike

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
You're crazy.. let me repeat that.. YOU ARE CRAZY. rotfl

Who the hell buys car based the expectation that you will need serious repairs at least once a year.

It's pretty clear you're going to buy this car regardless of what anyone says. Apparently nothing that's been written has deterred you so far, nothing additional will.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Who the hell buys car based the expectation that you will need serious repairs at least once a year.

It's pretty clear you're going to buy this car regardless of what anyone says. Apparently nothing that's been written has deterred you so far, nothing additional will.
Never said anything about serious repairs. I am talking about the things that people on here have indicated might go wrong. I may or may not buy this car, dunno yet.

So, is the above situation a worst case scenario?

Mike

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Worst case scenario-eek-
Well, the car could just explode!!!!!!!!!
Its one thing to be prepared, but planning on the car being down 2x a year seems a bit negative.
I know some people have had some problems(squidy), but I think for the larger population of Evora owners you will see minor problems.

I just finished 4 days in my Evora racking up about 700 miles without problem. Here in the St.Louis area it was regularly over 100 degrees. I had a mix of highway with a lot of B road "spirited" driving. My car never complained once. I even did some aggressive driving training with my wife. She drove the B road like a pro pushing the car more than she ever pushed any car. What a blast.

Don't let people scare you. It a great car. its not like a TVR or Triumph that would leave you on the side of the road at regular intervals. Its a modern hand built car. And in most cases a very reliable car. I'm up to 3k miles with only a few minor problems( tire balance problem. cruise not working properly, notchy 2nd gear)

I hate to say I can't really recommend the St.Louis dealership for service. My sales experience was OK, but service has yet to fix anything:wallbang:. After 3 visits I have just decided it is easier to fix the problems myself(yes, cruise works now with a little help from advice on this forum, tuning shop fixed the out of balance tire)

There is nothing quite like the Evora:up:

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Do you want us to talk you into or out of buying this car???

If the latter, worst case scenario is the dealer's "regular" truck only comes through every 3 months so you decide to use AAA and they scratch up your paint bad. Dealer has to wait another 3 months to get parts from Lotus because Lotus's operations are shaky. Seeing no future at the Lotus dealer, their expert tech quits, and when your parts finally arrive, a new guy installs them backwards and upside down. You discover this when the car is returned to you, requiring you to ship the car back to the dealer and start over. You are now in lengthy disputes with AAA, their contracted tow service, the dealer, and Lotus.

BTW, I would think that the transmission problems discussed on here would constitute "serious repairs."

·
Registered
412 Posts

:clap: :UK: :clap: :UK: :clap:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Never said anything about serious repairs. I am talking about the things that people on here have indicated might go wrong. I may or may not buy this car, dunno yet.

Mike
Let me put myself in your shoes, knowing what I know.

I'd say 95% of the problems I've encountered are considered minor by themselves. But the sheer volume of issues I've had to fix under warranty was what turned me off to ever buying a Lotus again. Fit and finish quality is at the bottom of this company's shoes. The only major service I had done was the clutch. Nothing else had stopped me from driving the car. The Toyota engine is rock solid and my replaced clutch has been problem free for the last 20,000 miles. The car is still finicky in hot weather but I've learned not to push it too hard when it's over 90 degrees out. I hope to get that sorted out (along with half a dozen other things) in my next visit.

I'd say you could probably get away with a once-a-year visit for the first 10,000 miles, but probably 3 times a year is probably more realistic after that. I just don't expect to be problem free if you plan to put serious miles on this car.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Evora Problems?

Mike
The Elise I drove for 6 years and 36K miles was the most reliable car I've owned. A few minor problems I fixed myself.

I took delivery of the Evora with a known problem - the interior motion sensor needs to be replaced. As long as I lock the car with an extra button push to disable the interior motion sensor - the problem goes away until a new part arrives at the dealer.

Another issue I had was the trunk latch. Folks on this website provided an easy fix - just unscrew the rubber trunk cushions to slightly make them taller - problem fixed. The dealer had no clue how to fix it.

I've only been able to put 700+ miles on the car so far - and no issues.

Still getting used to the controls - I keep forgetting to step on the brake if I want any of the shift buttons to work. Also there turns out to be three modes of control - fully automatic, manual (if you use a paddle while in automatic mode, it stays in the selected gear for 15 or 20 seconds, then reverts back to fully automatic if no paddle is used), sport mode - it only shifts when you use a paddle.

If this car is anywhere near as reliable as the Elise, I will be very happy.

The reason I selected the IPS option is my wife said she would drive it if it was an automatic. So far she reports it seems to practically steer itself - very easy to drive.

My big complaint is a tiny glove compartment, no cup holder, very little storage places for anything. The owners manual is tucked between the passenger seat and door sill, along with a case of CDs.

Overall an excellent car.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Whitey#1 back in 2009 you did the same thing asking over and over again about the Elise. Is this what you do to keep youself busy???http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/i-believe-my-agonizing-over-77176/

This is my last post trying to help you with a purchase on a Lotus. First I don’t want to be negative or insulting but does it take you this long to decide what to wear in the morning? Come on already It’s a freaking car who cares if it breaks down it under a warrantee and sometimes you have to roll-the dice. You ever hear the term YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CANT FORCE THEM TO DRINK. In the end you need to make your own decision and quit with all this hypothetical BS and crazy post for the last 4 years. If you regret your purchase you can always sell the car, just try to get the best price up front. I have owned 41 cars since 2001 some were great choices and a few were mistakes I made it through each experience a wiser man. ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
The salesman recommended i pay the $150 to AAA in case the car breaks down and wont run. That way it would be free towing to the closest Lotus dealership.
One time when I had to have the Elise towed for something, can't remember what, I tried to use AAA and the towing guy tried to have me sign a damage waiver because it was ... I don't know, an unusual car, lower clearance, some reason. So using them was not an option for me. The Evora may be different, and your chosen AAA towing person might be different.

Whitey#1 back in 12-30-2010, 12:57 PM POST 12 Hello Again Everybody You did the same with the Elise

This is my last post trying to help you with a purchase on a Lotus. First I don’t want to be negative or insulting but does it take you this long to decide what to wear in the morning? Come on already It’s a freaking car who cares if it breaks down it under a warrantee and sometimes you have to roll-the dice. Dam all this time spent deciding something could have happened there are no guarantees in life. You ever hear the term YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CANT FORCE THEM TO DRINK. In the end you need to make your own decision and quit with all this hypothetical BS. If you regret your purchase you can always sell the car. I have owned 41 cars since 2001 some were great choices and a few were mistakes I made it through each experience a wiser man. ;)
a wiser man, but maybe not more patient... regardless of how long it's taking Mike to decide on this car or another, if you're tired of it, don't post a reply. ...just sayin'... :shrug: :)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
What is the worst that can happen? Let me paint a dark and scary picture for you.......
You get the Evora and love it, perhaps a bit too much. You become one of those maniacs who constantly prostelaltize to the unwashed masses about the goodness and purity of being a Lotus owner. You convince a fervent group of the moral goodness in purchasing Lotus, they go out and convince even more of the unwashed masses. Soon tens of thousands of Lotus cars choke the highways, and even worse, my favorite twisty roads (they can't drive, so they take my favorite twisty sections slowly). Lotus, believing they can do no wrong, due to high sales, starts producing horrible 75 ton cars. You get ran over by one of the 75 ton Lotus (in the naming tradition E-normus). The unwashed masses become disillusioned over the loss of their savior. The market gets flooded with tons (literally) of used Lotus cars. The value of a used Elise drops to $350 due to the dip in demand versus supply. *that* is pretty much the worst that can happen, (from my point of view). If you want the car, buy it, enjoy it, but please.. Don't convert the unwashed masses to your point of view.

·
Registered
498 Posts
One time when I had to have the Elise towed for something, can't remember what, I tried to use AAA and the towing guy tried to have me sign a damage waiver because it was ... I don't know, an unusual car, lower clearance, some reason. So using them was not an option for me. The Evora may be different, and your chosen AAA towing person might be different.

a wiser man, but maybe not more patient... regardless of how long it's taking Mike to decide on this car or another, if you're tired of it, don't post a reply. ...just sayin'... :shrug: :)
He had over 4 new post under the same topic + just as many for the Elise-poke-:thwack::)

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
What is the worst that can happen? Let me paint a dark and scary picture for you.......
You get the Evora and love it, perhaps a bit too much. You become one of those maniacs who constantly prostelaltize to the unwashed masses about the goodness and purity of being a Lotus owner. You convince a fervent group of the moral goodness in purchasing Lotus, they go out and convince even more of the unwashed masses. Soon tens of thousands of Lotus cars choke the highways, and even worse, my favorite twisty roads (they can't drive, so they take my favorite twisty sections slowly). Lotus, believing they can do no wrong, due to high sales, starts producing horrible 75 ton cars. You get ran over by one of the 75 ton Lotus (in the naming tradition E-normus). The unwashed masses become disillusioned over the loss of their savior. The market gets flooded with tons (literally) of used Lotus cars. The value of a used Elise drops to $350 due to the dip in demand versus supply. *that* is pretty much the worst that can happen, (from my point of view). If you want the car, buy it, enjoy it, but please.. Don't convert the unwashed masses to your point of view.
Just pissed myself:D:clap::ST:rotfl:panic::wave::sad:

He is obviously attracted to this beautiful lady, but he is afraid to commit to her (may for fear of not being able to satisfy her needs):shift:

BTW on 8th summer with Elise (~50track days-hardcore) and only 1 trip to dealer , ever!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Glad you liked it BRGElise, sometimes my right brain dominates before my first cup of coffee and bizzare things get typed into the keyboard totally without my bidding. Coffee has hit my system now, so now sanity prevails. Your Honor, I wish to invoke my *no coffee* defense.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to those that have responded in a serious manner about my original post. I'd like to see more of those type responses rather than the jokes.

Mike

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is my second Lotus so I knew what to expect. There are going to be minor issues and some build quality problems. Most could be fixed yourself.

Go for a drive and you will forget all about the flaws.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Okay, my serious answer... If you are mechanically inclined, don't sweat it. If the cost of shipping/repairs will break the bank, don't get it. If you cannot get to work, because it is your only car, don't get it. This is coming from a guy who drove an Elise 1000 miles to take it to the mechanic of his choice in December. Many of my upgrades I performed myself, I am mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The Elise I drove for 6 years and 36K miles was the most reliable car I've owned. A few minor problems I fixed myself.

I took delivery of the Evora with a known problem - the interior motion sensor needs to be replaced. As long as I lock the car with an extra button push to disable the interior motion sensor - the problem goes away until a new part arrives at the dealer.

Another issue I had was the trunk latch. Folks on this website provided an easy fix - just unscrew the rubber trunk cushions to slightly make them taller - problem fixed. The dealer had no clue how to fix it.

I've only been able to put 700+ miles on the car so far - and no issues.

Still getting used to the controls - I keep forgetting to step on the brake if I want any of the shift buttons to work. Also there turns out to be three modes of control - fully automatic, manual (if you use a paddle while in automatic mode, it stays in the selected gear for 15 or 20 seconds, then reverts back to fully automatic if no paddle is used), sport mode - it only shifts when you use a paddle.

If this car is anywhere near as reliable as the Elise, I will be very happy.

The reason I selected the IPS option is my wife said she would drive it if it was an automatic. So far she reports it seems to practically steer itself - very easy to drive.

My big complaint is a tiny glove compartment, no cup holder, very little storage places for anything. The owners manual is tucked between the passenger seat and door sill, along with a case of CDs.

Overall an excellent car.
I have the 2+0 like you, I keep my owners manual in the net behind the seats, I have found the cup holders in the door armrest works ok for bottled water. As for the CD's if you use an iPod and plug it into the glove box connector, it will also keep it charged. If you have an iPhone like I do you, you can use the phone for both.
Ron:clap:
Ron

·
Registered
389 Posts
The hypothetical situations you postulated are hardly worst case scenario possibilities. Addertooth was on the right track with his speculative musings in that anything is theoretically possible and if you are a glass half empty kind of personality and believe that if something can go wrong it will you can convince yourself that anything is possible so then anything is “just not worth the bloody bother.” I don’t believe however that this is the source of your reticence in connection with your contemplations regarding the purchase of a Lotus.
I believe your issues run much deeper! As a crackerjack unlicensed amateur (and therefore completely untrained and un-qualified) pseudo-psychologist and all ‘round know it all, I have ascertained the root of your inability to pull the trigger on buying a Lotus. It’s obvious to any armchair shrink (such as myself) that your fear of service problems and potential periods of separation from the car are only a manifestation of a deep seated inferiority complex coupled with something much darker and much more serious and difficult to deal with. It’s what I call “Anti-lotus-disenfranchised-over-compensated-culturally- cringed-capitalism-centered-corporately-created-complication (ALDOCCCCCCCC). This is the automotive equivalent of “dating out of your league”. In this condition you view the car, in this case a Lotus Evora, as a supermodel equivalent to your own perceived self image as a one legged, humpbacked dwarf with a squinty eye, halitosis, body odor, a palsy in your right side, a speech impediment that should properly dwell under a bridge somewhere with the other trolls.
You have a deep seated fear that the car will make you appear sexy, glamorous and desirable and that people will view you in a whole new light as an action, man-about-town, with savoir faire, panache and flair. As this is completely at odds with your self deprecating, self loathing, self perception you are presenting a classic case of “talkyourselfoutofititis” . You fear that the car will draw unwarranted attention to yourself and that people will discover that you are indeed a one legged, humpbacked dwarf with a squinty eye, halitosis, body odor, a palsy in your right side, a speech impediment that should properly dwell under a bridge somewhere with the other trolls that has absolutely no savoir faire, panache or flair. So instead of buying the car (or asking the supermodel out on a date) you talk yourself out of it instead, thereby avoiding confronting the real issues.
Being the untrained pseudo-psychologist that I am I can tell you that this perceived self image that you may or may not have is, although possible (like your potential car problems), probably not the case.
So I suggest you go to the mirror look yourself in the eye and say to yourself “I am NOT a one legged, humpbacked dwarf with a squinty eye, halitosis, body odor, a palsy in my right side and a speech impediment who should properly dwell under a bridge somewhere with other trolls that have absolutely no savoir faire, panache or flair. I am worthy of this car and I am not going to take any sh*t from myself and invent all kinds of what if scenarios to try and talk myself out of just because I don’t date a supermodel………….yet.”

Ok the now the serious answer "Date the supermodel, buy the car, if either of them give you any grief then deal with it."

1 - 20 of 37 Posts