The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Is This A Worst Case Scenario?

4K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  Hello Kitty 
#1 ·
Ok, lets say I do decide to pull the trigger and buy a Lotus Evora. I like to play Devils Advocate and ask myself whats the worse that could happen. So, is below the Worst Case scenario for me?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I buy the Lotus Evora and it has problems. I contact the dealer to come and pick it up, it needs warranty work. He has told me they run trucks through the Indiana area on a somewhat regular basis. Assume that means that they will have a truck in the Indiana area around once every two weeks or so. He has also told me typically when they pick up or return cars to customers they will usually split the costs. He told me to pick the car up and return it could either be 1) free, 2) say around $200, or 3) $1.50 a mile for a special trip for me. At $1.50 a mile the round trip would cost me about $750.

So, in a worst case scenario i have the dealer pick up the car when they are in the area. So, therefore, I could be without it for anywhere from one to four weeks, depending upon the repairs. They might charge me $200 or they might charge me $500 for shipping. In the meantime i have my Porsche to drive until the Lotus is returned.

The salesman recommended i pay the $150 to AAA in case the car breaks down and wont run. That way it would be free towing to the closest Lotus dealership.

Figuring that I am going to make one trip a year to St. Louis for ROUTINE maintenance could i expect the above situation to happen more than, say, two times a year? There's a difference between something going wrong that FORCES you to get the car to the dealership and something going wrong that can wait until your next visit.

Thoughts? Is the above the Worst Case scenario for me?

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
You're crazy.. let me repeat that.. YOU ARE CRAZY. rotfl

Who the hell buys car based the expectation that you will need serious repairs at least once a year.

It's pretty clear you're going to buy this car regardless of what anyone says. Apparently nothing that's been written has deterred you so far, nothing additional will.

#4 ·
Worst case scenario-eek-
Well, the car could just explode!!!!!!!!!
Its one thing to be prepared, but planning on the car being down 2x a year seems a bit negative.
I know some people have had some problems(squidy), but I think for the larger population of Evora owners you will see minor problems.

I just finished 4 days in my Evora racking up about 700 miles without problem. Here in the St.Louis area it was regularly over 100 degrees. I had a mix of highway with a lot of B road "spirited" driving. My car never complained once. I even did some aggressive driving training with my wife. She drove the B road like a pro pushing the car more than she ever pushed any car. What a blast.

Don't let people scare you. It a great car. its not like a TVR or Triumph that would leave you on the side of the road at regular intervals. Its a modern hand built car. And in most cases a very reliable car. I'm up to 3k miles with only a few minor problems( tire balance problem. cruise not working properly, notchy 2nd gear)

I hate to say I can't really recommend the St.Louis dealership for service. My sales experience was OK, but service has yet to fix anything:wallbang:. After 3 visits I have just decided it is easier to fix the problems myself(yes, cruise works now with a little help from advice on this forum, tuning shop fixed the out of balance tire)

There is nothing quite like the Evora:up:

#5 ·
Do you want us to talk you into or out of buying this car???

If the latter, worst case scenario is the dealer's "regular" truck only comes through every 3 months so you decide to use AAA and they scratch up your paint bad. Dealer has to wait another 3 months to get parts from Lotus because Lotus's operations are shaky. Seeing no future at the Lotus dealer, their expert tech quits, and when your parts finally arrive, a new guy installs them backwards and upside down. You discover this when the car is returned to you, requiring you to ship the car back to the dealer and start over. You are now in lengthy disputes with AAA, their contracted tow service, the dealer, and Lotus.

BTW, I would think that the transmission problems discussed on here would constitute "serious repairs."

#9 · (Edited)
******#1 back in 2009 you did the same thing asking over and over again about the Elise. Is this what you do to keep youself busy???http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/i-believe-my-agonizing-over-77176/

This is my last post trying to help you with a purchase on a Lotus. First I don’t want to be negative or insulting but does it take you this long to decide what to wear in the morning? Come on already It’s a freaking car who cares if it breaks down it under a warrantee and sometimes you have to roll-the dice. You ever hear the term YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CANT FORCE THEM TO DRINK. In the end you need to make your own decision and quit with all this hypothetical BS and crazy post for the last 4 years. If you regret your purchase you can always sell the car, just try to get the best price up front. I have owned 41 cars since 2001 some were great choices and a few were mistakes I made it through each experience a wiser man. ;)

#10 ·
The salesman recommended i pay the $150 to AAA in case the car breaks down and wont run. That way it would be free towing to the closest Lotus dealership.
One time when I had to have the Elise towed for something, can't remember what, I tried to use AAA and the towing guy tried to have me sign a damage waiver because it was ... I don't know, an unusual car, lower clearance, some reason. So using them was not an option for me. The Evora may be different, and your chosen AAA towing person might be different.

******#1 back in 12-30-2010, 12:57 PM POST 12 Hello Again Everybody You did the same with the Elise

This is my last post trying to help you with a purchase on a Lotus. First I don’t want to be negative or insulting but does it take you this long to decide what to wear in the morning? Come on already It’s a freaking car who cares if it breaks down it under a warrantee and sometimes you have to roll-the dice. Dam all this time spent deciding something could have happened there are no guarantees in life. You ever hear the term YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CANT FORCE THEM TO DRINK. In the end you need to make your own decision and quit with all this hypothetical BS. If you regret your purchase you can always sell the car. I have owned 41 cars since 2001 some were great choices and a few were mistakes I made it through each experience a wiser man. ;)
a wiser man, but maybe not more patient... regardless of how long it's taking Mike to decide on this car or another, if you're tired of it, don't post a reply. ...just sayin'... :shrug: :)

#13 ·
One time when I had to have the Elise towed for something, can't remember what, I tried to use AAA and the towing guy tried to have me sign a damage waiver because it was ... I don't know, an unusual car, lower clearance, some reason. So using them was not an option for me. The Evora may be different, and your chosen AAA towing person might be different.

a wiser man, but maybe not more patient... regardless of how long it's taking Mike to decide on this car or another, if you're tired of it, don't post a reply. ...just sayin'... :shrug: :)
He had over 4 new post under the same topic + just as many for the Elise-poke-:thwack::)

#12 ·
What is the worst that can happen? Let me paint a dark and scary picture for you.......
You get the Evora and love it, perhaps a bit too much. You become one of those maniacs who constantly prostelaltize to the unwashed masses about the goodness and purity of being a Lotus owner. You convince a fervent group of the moral goodness in purchasing Lotus, they go out and convince even more of the unwashed masses. Soon tens of thousands of Lotus cars choke the highways, and even worse, my favorite twisty roads (they can't drive, so they take my favorite twisty sections slowly). Lotus, believing they can do no wrong, due to high sales, starts producing horrible 75 ton cars. You get ran over by one of the 75 ton Lotus (in the naming tradition E-normus). The unwashed masses become disillusioned over the loss of their savior. The market gets flooded with tons (literally) of used Lotus cars. The value of a used Elise drops to $350 due to the dip in demand versus supply. *that* is pretty much the worst that can happen, (from my point of view). If you want the car, buy it, enjoy it, but please.. Don't convert the unwashed masses to your point of view.

#14 ·
Just pissed myself:D:clap::ST:rotfl:panic::wave::sad:

He is obviously attracted to this beautiful lady, but he is afraid to commit to her (may for fear of not being able to satisfy her needs):shift:

BTW on 8th summer with Elise (~50track days-hardcore) and only 1 trip to dealer , ever!

#15 ·
Glad you liked it BRGElise, sometimes my right brain dominates before my first cup of coffee and bizzare things get typed into the keyboard totally without my bidding. Coffee has hit my system now, so now sanity prevails. Your Honor, I wish to invoke my *no coffee* defense.

#18 ·
Okay, my serious answer... If you are mechanically inclined, don't sweat it. If the cost of shipping/repairs will break the bank, don't get it. If you cannot get to work, because it is your only car, don't get it. This is coming from a guy who drove an Elise 1000 miles to take it to the mechanic of his choice in December. Many of my upgrades I performed myself, I am mechanically inclined.

#21 ·
Well, i am not mechanically inclined. However, the cost of shipping/repairs doesnt bother me since its got a 3/36 warranty. And since its not my only car i can get to work.

And thanks for the serious answer/response. Thats what I am looking for.

Mike

#20 ·
The hypothetical situations you postulated are hardly worst case scenario possibilities. Addertooth was on the right track with his speculative musings in that anything is theoretically possible and if you are a glass half empty kind of personality and believe that if something can go wrong it will you can convince yourself that anything is possible so then anything is “just not worth the bloody bother.” I don’t believe however that this is the source of your reticence in connection with your contemplations regarding the purchase of a Lotus.
I believe your issues run much deeper! As a crackerjack unlicensed amateur (and therefore completely untrained and un-qualified) pseudo-psychologist and all ‘round know it all, I have ascertained the root of your inability to pull the trigger on buying a Lotus. It’s obvious to any armchair shrink (such as myself) that your fear of service problems and potential periods of separation from the car are only a manifestation of a deep seated inferiority complex coupled with something much darker and much more serious and difficult to deal with. It’s what I call “Anti-lotus-disenfranchised-over-compensated-culturally- cringed-capitalism-centered-corporately-created-complication (ALDOCCCCCCCC). This is the automotive equivalent of “dating out of your league”. In this condition you view the car, in this case a Lotus Evora, as a supermodel equivalent to your own perceived self image as a one legged, humpbacked dwarf with a squinty eye, halitosis, body odor, a palsy in your right side, a speech impediment that should properly dwell under a bridge somewhere with the other trolls.
You have a deep seated fear that the car will make you appear sexy, glamorous and desirable and that people will view you in a whole new light as an action, man-about-town, with savoir faire, panache and flair. As this is completely at odds with your self deprecating, self loathing, self perception you are presenting a classic case of “talkyourselfoutofititis” . You fear that the car will draw unwarranted attention to yourself and that people will discover that you are indeed a one legged, humpbacked dwarf with a squinty eye, halitosis, body odor, a palsy in your right side, a speech impediment that should properly dwell under a bridge somewhere with the other trolls that has absolutely no savoir faire, panache or flair. So instead of buying the car (or asking the supermodel out on a date) you talk yourself out of it instead, thereby avoiding confronting the real issues.
Being the untrained pseudo-psychologist that I am I can tell you that this perceived self image that you may or may not have is, although possible (like your potential car problems), probably not the case.
So I suggest you go to the mirror look yourself in the eye and say to yourself “I am NOT a one legged, humpbacked dwarf with a squinty eye, halitosis, body odor, a palsy in my right side and a speech impediment who should properly dwell under a bridge somewhere with other trolls that have absolutely no savoir faire, panache or flair. I am worthy of this car and I am not going to take any sh*t from myself and invent all kinds of what if scenarios to try and talk myself out of just because I don’t date a supermodel………….yet.”

Ok the now the serious answer "Date the supermodel, buy the car, if either of them give you any grief then deal with it."

#34 ·
Awww... I was just gonna say that!

#23 ·
You should know a Lotus is not the place to get the "anti" Lotus answer. If you have the driving skills buy it. If its a poseur decision stick with your Porsche the relative equivalent to Frank Zappas "Church of Appliantology"

#25 ·
Lotus is not a logical car to buy. If you were logical, you should be buying a Chevy Cobalt SS. It's a lot cheaper, and has a huge dealer network.

You buy a Lotus because it's a car you feel you simply must have. If that's the case, it would already be in your driveway. If you are overthinking things, chances are, it is not the car for you.

#28 ·
I have to disagree with Squidward, who seems to have had exceptionally bad experiences with his car. For myself, after 15K miles I can state that I have had no more problems with the Evora (MY11 Evora S) than with my previous Audis, Mercedes or BMWs. Reliability schould not really be your problem and Lotus has made great advances here since the Launch Edition.

I have had the usual problems, mostly related to the gearbox, but nothing has ever kept me from being able to continue my drive (knock on wood here:thwack:). I think I visited my dealer 5 times in the 15 months I've had the car and generally combined these appointments with scheduled serrvices (inspections, winter tire fitting and removal, etc.).

Perhaps the biggest difference to the big makes is the dealer network. Consider both the distance and, most importantly, the quality of your potential dealer because you probably won't have much choice. Mine is only 15 miles away and the mechanic is excellent. They were without a Lotus service contract for about 4 months during an internal transition and that acutally did worry me more than any issues with the car, the next closest dealer beiing 300 miles away.

I would definitively not have bought the car if I didn't have a dealer within at most an hours drive. I know distances in the US are usually greater, so you have to decide how far you would go. In any case you will have to ballance this against your dependency on the car.

Also, the spare part situation in the US seems to be a bit more complex, in Europe my dealer generally gets parts within one week, but Lotus USA doesn't seem to have this reputation.

#29 ·
You know, it's all a matter of perspective.. Everyone's level of tolerance is different.

I've had my Evora in service a total of 8 times in for repairs 2.5 years I've owned it and the sheer volume of issues I had done is unacceptable.

By comparison, my RX-8 has had a total of 5 items I've had covered under warranty in the 9 years I've had the car. My Audi TT had a 2 problems in the 3 years I had it (creeking suspension and a faulty diverter valve).

tbd_Evora seems to be alright with the car in the shop every 3 months.. :shrug:

#33 ·
Let me detail my service visits:
  • 1st Inspection at 1500 km (1/2 day)
  • Replace 2 tires after running over nails [1/2 day]
  • A/C hose failure (1/2 day after parts order)
  • ECU software upgrade (20 minutes)
  • Clutch fell to floor (2 hrs.)
  • Exchange shift cables and install KomoTec Stage 1 (1 day)
  • Mount winter tires (1/2 day)
  • Remount summer tires incl. 1 new and 15000 km inspection (1 day)
  • 2nd clutch failure - replace main cylinder (1/2 day)
  • 2nd shift cable exchange (1 day)

So, the only actual issue has been the gear/clutch area, but I have never had a breakdown where I couldn't continue driving.

By comparison my former Audi RS4 blew both turbos at 50000 km and I spent 6 weeks in the shop just waiting for parts and I had to come by at least once a months to reset the "safe mode", which it kept entering.

#30 ·
A lot of Lotus owners are DIYers - but since you say this isn't you is there a local garage or good friend you know and trust who could perform simple, non-waranty, stuff? That way you can manage small stuff and reserve trips to the dealer for more significant things. You can always ask questions here if you are unsure of the seriousness of any issue before deciding which approach to take with it :)

#31 ·
I was in Evansville today. Took the Porsche in for some service. While i was there i test drove a Mercedes and BMW. The Mercedes was the clear winner.

And then i stopped at Foreign Performance in Evansville. They said they work on Lotus cars, and their mechanic has 35+ years experience and works alot on British made cars. That are 70 miles from me.

And there is a Lotus Group in Indy called CHILL that has the occassional "Wrenching Day" where they get together and work on their cars, do some of the simple stuff on each others cars together.

But if the dealer incentives/cash ended June 30 who knows if i could get the same deal???

Mike

#32 ·
Appliance or sex toy,,,HUMMMMMMM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.