The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Elise with the touring package. The door panels have fabric near the door handle and I'm trying to figure out if the material is alcantara, microfibre or cloth.

I want to replace the biscuit tear drop panels with a matching material if I can figure out what the material is.

Do you know what the material is? Please let me know.

I'm sorry about the picture size - I don't know how to shrink them...

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
I asked the same question when I had my seats reupholstered. The guy who did the work on my car said that is vinyl. I didn't believe him at first but I have no reason to think he would have lied to me. I ordered replacement vinyl for my seats and it looks like suede/leather sorta.. and it matches perfect. So I'm going with vinyl as my final answer.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I would say it's a synthetic microfiber.

No need to match it perfectly. If you go to an auto upholstery shop they will literally have dozens of materials that are similar. It's basic black!

My interior was done in all Miami Suede. It's basically Alcantara. Alcantara itself is actually a brand name (like Kleenex, Chapstick, etc) and is VERY VERY expensive. The Miami Suede is very comparable but much more reasonable.

Your shop will be well familiar with it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the input - I really appreciate it.

I was hoping to go with OEM tear drops. Now it looks like I'll reupholster my sport seats and the tear drops...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Not necessarily though. Branded Alcantara is used on everything from automotive and boating, to furniture and even clothes and accessories (handbags, shoes, etc). It's just so damned hard to get, and so, expensive.
It's not really 'too' dear in the scheme of things... if you can find it!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
-usually alcantara used in car industry

-microfiber or synthetic suede leather used in sofa industry
Yes, but not all alcantara is Alcantara. As noted, the brand name Alcantara is VERY expensive. Most of what is used for aftermarket upholstery (non-OEM) is Miami Suede.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts