The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Has this Talon received its last rights and filled out it's organ donor cards?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
No problem....same thing happened to me once. INPORTANT: you need 4 people to do this ! Get a sawzall; cut 4 rectangular holes in the floorboards--2 in the front seats, 2 in the back seats.......you & 3 other people have to stick your legs through the holes and run like hell...... it won't be real fast, but the gas mileage is incredible.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts

"It's not good..."

·
Registered
622 Posts
No problem....same thing happened to me once. INPORTANT: you need 4 people to do this ! Get a sawzall; cut 4 rectangular holes in the floorboards--2 in the front seats, 2 in the back seats.......you & 3 other people have to stick your legs through the holes and run like hell...... it won't be real fast, but the gas mileage is incredible.
It worked for Fred and Barney, although gets hard on the feet in the quarry.

Look at it as an opportunity to upgrade...or move on

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
That was an AWD Talon. Now it's a FWD Talon. It weighs less without the driveshaft, so: faster. Carry on...

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I usually see this with domestics

This is also kind of funny

walk crank, walk

·
Banned
874 Posts
:eek: lol

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
An AWD Talon/Eclipse, good car, fix if not too much $$$. Maybe do some sleeper stuff to it.
A front wheel drive car (except the Lotus M100), trash at first sigh of problems.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The story behind this is as follows:

I was pulling out onto one of the main streets around here to see this talon and a mustang cobra turning around for what was obviously a drag race. Well they took off and I stayed in the same lane as the cobra. Somewhere around the speed limit(60mph) the Talon passes me and about two car lengths later that happened. Luckily I was far enough back to dodge the large chunks of asphalt he was ripping out.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Yeah, it happens.

If the Talon was playing with the Cobra then it must have been pushing decent power. I will keep my ear to the ground on Mitsu Forum, DSMTalk and Tuners... maybe I can get some more input from the owner himself.

Also, crankwalk has nothing to do with transmissions. It boils down to thrust/main bearing failure due to low oil pressure at start up. It only happens in the '7 bolt' motors. The 1992.5 + Eclipses and Talons had the 7bolt. All the 7 means is the number of bolts that hold the flywheel, and there are very small differences between the motors. We are talking strictly the 4G63T engines here, the 420a in the GS/RS is fine...well... its a POS Neon motor, but doesn't suffer from this problem.

There are many factors that contribute to it. For some reason, having the clutch pushed in at start up causes lower oil pressure, so the first thing everyone does is remove that safety switch to allow you to start it without the clutch pushed in. It is also known that aftermarket clutches also contribute to the issue.

To combat this, many are switching to the older style motors (6 bolt), and they are just fine. Both the 7 bolts and the 6 bolts are both strong motors. They can handle upwards of 25psi and 450ish at the wheels on stock internals. Just to clarify, the EVO does not suffer from crankwalk.

Crankwalk isn't all that uncommon, 6 Speed Supras have been known to have a very similar problem made worse by aftermarket clutches. In theory, any engine can crankwalk, it just so happens that the DSM community coined it, and now everyone associates it with DSMs.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
pretty sure that falls into the bad things category...

crank walk happens on the newer DSMs because there is an oil gallery misalignment issue(when they checked static pressure it didnt show up cause its a partial miss alignment...) anyways I think the thrust bearings dont get enough lubrication or something along those lines

"these cranks are made for walking, and thats just what they'll do, one of these days these cranks are gonna walk all over you... are you ready cranks? start walking!"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts