The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am refitting my engine and found the main water hose going to the water pump housing (the red one in the picture) was actually touching the exhaust cam gear. I put some pressure on it when I tightened the clamp and now have about 8mm clearance. As long as it doesn't move when warmed up, I don't see a problem. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks. You wouldn't happen to have a picture showing that hose with the head on so I can see how much clearance you have?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,105 Posts
On my engine, I can fit my finger between the large water pump hose and the cam wheel. So, it's about 10mm (depending on how swollen my finger is at any given time, from eating salty processed foods :drool: ) :rolleyes:

Travis, that loose wood screw bothered me when I was re-assembling my car. How did you secure it? Toothpick in the screw hole?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Mine is fine, just use the normal screw for now, but make sure it is tight, without over tightening.

A friend's came loose on the track after a timing belt change, and cut the hose, so I re-sectioned the hose with a piece of metal pipe and 2 hose clamps that we scavenged from people at the track.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
you also really have to watch the end of the hose clamp on the main water pump pipe, and the little elbow hose on the water pump. those ends of the hose clamps can cut the timing belt.

You have to carefully align these to prevent them from touching anything when they are tightened.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,105 Posts
BTW,

We all need to thank Travis for sharing all the pictures he has! :cool: :bow:

I took almost 600 pics during my drivetrain refresh, but I hardly ever aimed the camera at the needed component. <sigh>

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I should add my little Canon Digital Elph SD1000 camera to my list of needed tools ;)

One of the flashes died during my engine rebuild, and those photos were darkish... so I replaced the flash bulb, circuit board and capacitor, and works great again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
F&%K.... Words can not explain.... I removed the hose, shortened it by about 5mm and put it back on. Plenty of clearance now. Screwed around with the clamp to make sure it wasn't hitting any other belt etc. Then I noticed about a 1/2" cut in the hose where it slid past something as I was putting it back in. It doesn't go all the way through but... I will order another tomorrow...

I remember that getting to those clamps and getting those hoses off when I was pulling it out was the most frustrating part of the whole removal.

F%$K! Gotta go pour another drink....

Thanks for all the info/picts guys..

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
BTW,

We all need to thank Travis for sharing all the pictures he has! :cool: :bow:

I took almost 600 pics during my drivetrain refresh, but I hardly ever aimed the camera at the needed component. <sigh>
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Many thanks for the pics good things to check periodically. Knowing the key items to check is very handy

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,105 Posts
... getting to those clamps and getting those hoses off when I was pulling it out was the most frustrating part of the whole removal.

F%$K! Gotta go pour another drink....
Yeah that hose is a bi**h. :huh: I still have scars on my arm. I, too, had to turn the upper clamp around after the hose was installed. :no:

So, how much clearance to the cam wheel do you have now that the hose is shorter?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably a little over 10mm. I think the cut was where the hose slid across the edge of the cam gear as I was sliding it up from underneath. Probably be fine but am ordering another hose. At least I can replace it before I get the intake etc on. Hopefully I will have good clearance from the start with the new hose. :facepalm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts