The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Is this clearance enough?

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Techspy 
#1 ·
I am refitting my engine and found the main water hose going to the water pump housing (the red one in the picture) was actually touching the exhaust cam gear. I put some pressure on it when I tightened the clamp and now have about 8mm clearance. As long as it doesn't move when warmed up, I don't see a problem. What do you guys think?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
On my engine, I can fit my finger between the large water pump hose and the cam wheel. So, it's about 10mm (depending on how swollen my finger is at any given time, from eating salty processed foods :drool: ) :rolleyes:

Travis, that loose wood screw bothered me when I was re-assembling my car. How did you secure it? Toothpick in the screw hole?

#11 ·
F&%K.... Words can not explain.... I removed the hose, shortened it by about 5mm and put it back on. Plenty of clearance now. Screwed around with the clamp to make sure it wasn't hitting any other belt etc. Then I noticed about a 1/2" cut in the hose where it slid past something as I was putting it back in. It doesn't go all the way through but... I will order another tomorrow...

I remember that getting to those clamps and getting those hoses off when I was pulling it out was the most frustrating part of the whole removal.

F%$K! Gotta go pour another drink....

Thanks for all the info/picts guys..

#13 ·
... getting to those clamps and getting those hoses off when I was pulling it out was the most frustrating part of the whole removal.

F%$K! Gotta go pour another drink....
Yeah that hose is a bi**h. :huh: I still have scars on my arm. I, too, had to turn the upper clamp around after the hose was installed. :no:

So, how much clearance to the cam wheel do you have now that the hose is shorter?

#14 ·
Probably a little over 10mm. I think the cut was where the hose slid across the edge of the cam gear as I was sliding it up from underneath. Probably be fine but am ordering another hose. At least I can replace it before I get the intake etc on. Hopefully I will have good clearance from the start with the new hose. :facepalm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.