The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding the shifter on a '93 SE. I could not get the translator out working from underneath. I removed the trunk floor and found a huge nurdle of black silicone around the perimeter sealing the floor to the body. I have owned and worked on many Lotus. I know the build quality was never state of the art. This is pretty crude, the silicone was smeared all over. The attached picture shows some of the bigger chunks. I have most of the service history and don't believe the trunk floor was ever removed before.

Is this factory?? Have you guys seen this before??

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The factory definitely used a sealant on the boot - can't say for sure that the specific stuff you have removed is what the factory put there or whether someone removed and re-sealed the boot at a later time. Your pictures seems to show a pretty generous amount compared to what I have seen on other Esprits I've worked on.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
I wasn't even going to re-RTV the trunk floor when I put mine back together. I was going to just use half-round weatherstripping from Home Depot (same as I used on my engine undertray).

Come to think of it, it was obvious that the last time the trunk floor was out, there was no new RTV used. The floor was just bolted back on top of whatever was there. I never had any water issues either, despite having driven through day-long downpours on the way to and from Lotus Owners Gatherings...

:clap:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you do decide to use RTV to seal up things I find that just as soon as you decide you no longer need to go there anymore and seal it up, is EXACTLY the time you need to go back! Once the RTV sets use a razor blade and score it so you can take it apart and not remove the RTV. Another possibility is to go to Home Depot and get a roll of foam that is about 3/4" wide with a sticky back. Stick it to one side and then screw things down. When laying down the bead of RTV (I like the black stuff) go over it with a throwaway flux brush. It leaves nice lines and spreads the stuff out better than using your finger. You don't need much of a bead either. The less the better. You are not sealing a shower!
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
184 Posts
On the other extreme, I am NOT a poster boy from proper boot floor care...

I think I've lost the bolts that hold the floor in place, I take it out so often (IIRC, it was 10 6mm, but I'm not sure now!). Working on almost everything is so much easier without the floorboard in place, I got tired of turning 10 bolts every time, so I just let the floor free-float now...

·
Registered
860 Posts
On the other extreme, I am NOT a poster boy from proper boot floor care...

I think I've lost the bolts that hold the floor in place, I take it out so often (IIRC, it was 10 6mm, but I'm not sure now!). Working on almost everything is so much easier without the floorboard in place, I got tired of turning 10 bolts every time, so I just let the floor free-float now...
rotfl why do you just velcro it in place? :p

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
[The boot floor] stays put so I just haven't worried about it.

I'd bet the trunk floor has as much of an effect on aero as a rear wing! Who needs it? <DUCKS>

;) ;) ;) ;)

rotfl

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I't will in the spring. Mine is just bolted in , no need of any sealant.Never any water problems, just creating more work for yourself when it has to come apart again.

Robert

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
@carbuff that looks awesome. thanks...
I have lots of pictures (the latest ones are still in the camera, naturally) so if there is something specific you need to "look at" let me know.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
Don't have a pic of the crank, it was taken immediately to the machine shop to be polished (and bored out for the Renault style ball bearing). But everything was in wonderful shape, none of the bearings were worn down to copper.

The first pic shows the new bearing fitted to the replacement input shaft. OE was an open roller bearing that rode directly on the shaft where the ball bearing is.

Second pic is the overall shot of the "guts". I replaced the primary shaft (right up on top, there) and a synchronizer or two.

Last pic shows the other end of the OE input shaft and the reason I'm having so much "fun".

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
What oil/change interval do you use? Your car has about 75K miles, correct?
I changed the oil once a year (2000 to 4000 miles, depending on how far I drive to a LOG). I have a "stash" of the older high-ZDDP 15W-50 Mobil1, enough for three more oil changes.

78,000 miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts