The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was taking off my defuser and access panel to install the engine mount inserts, when I checked my new t-clamp that I installed last month. Someone recommended it here from summit racing.

Sorry for the bad picts, I didn't have my good camera. But theres a brown material kind of oozing or bubbling out of the clamp where the bolt is, coming out from inside the bolt. Any idea what this is? Is it normal? Maybe some sort of exhaust clamp "loc tite" ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
probably grease or oil in the clamp warm gear that got cooked from the high heat. nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, 1/1 so far. Just don't want my clamp coming lose at another auto-x!

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's the nylon lock nut insert melting. Not sure why they used that on an exhaust clamp as the temps would definitely be enough to fry it. Mine is the same way.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
It's the nylon lock nut insert melting. Not sure why they used that on an exhaust clamp as the temps would definitely be enough to fry it. Mine is the same way.
+1 for the nylon insert.
But I don't think those clamps are specifically made for applications on an exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm - will the nylon lock nut melting cause it to come loose over time?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
It will remove the ability of the nut to be clamped. There are nuts designed for this that do not use plastic. If you know the thread it could easily be replaced.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes sense. Guess I'll have to somehow get it off and take a trip to home depot

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Buy the Lotus clamp, they are about $16 and don't have a nylon nut.

Exhaust/muffler clamp -- Lotus TSB
Just a heads-up, Lotus recommends that the exhaust/muffler clamp never be re-used in the event the exhaust is ever re-fitted.... Here's the TSB

SERVICE BULLETIN...Model:Elise/Exige/Europa/2-Eleven...Date: 25.02.08

TITLE: Precautions when re-fitting exhaust muffler on any Europa or Toyota powertrain Elise/Exige/2-Eleven.

REASON: To ensure adequate sealing and security.

The slip joint between the catalytic converter outlet 'U' bend and the exhaust muffler is secured by a strap clamp and pinch bolt. This clamp is designed to apply the correct clamping force to the pipe when the pinch bolt is tightened to the specified torque of 54 Nm.

In order to guarantee this result, the clamp is for one use only, as some stretching and settling of components will occur in service. Be aware that the security of this joint is essential to ensure the integrity of the exhaust system, in respect of emissions, noise, heat release and safety. Extreme temperature gradients and powertrain shunt (especially with track use), will subject the joint to additional stress, and for cars used on closed circuits or in similar conditions, the Pre-Track Use Check List, LSL520 should be followed, which includes an operation to check the exhaust system for sealing and security.

ACTION: If an exhaust muffler is at any time removed or replaced, the following points should be observed:

1. Ensure that the clamp (A120S6000S or B116S6001H) is renewed, if necessary cutting the tack weld (used only to assist factory build) with a precision rotary tool to remove an old clamp from a muffler which is to be re-fitted.

2. Position the new clamp to be flush with the end of the muffler pipe, and orientated with the clamp split equidistant from the two patented joggled seal slots in the pipe. Tack welding the new clamp is not necessary.
Note that all new standard fitment mufflers, and Lotus accessory sports mufflers LOTAC05334, LOTAC05335 and LOTAC05450, are supplied with new clamps tack welded in position. Elise S sports exhaust LOTAC05391 will require a new clamp, A120S6000S, to be ordered separately.

3. Dependent on model, be aware that the optimum position of the muffler may not be determinable without trial fitment of the diffuser in order to centralise the tailpipe(s) in the diffuser aperture (note: access to the clamp is not available with the diffuser fitted). In this situation, the clamp bolt should be only nipped up for the position assessment, prior to torque tightening on final assembly. Achieve the maximum possible engagement of the 'U' bend pipe into the muffler inlet, consistent with acceptable tailpipe position. Assemble the joint dry.

4. Finally, torque tighten the clamp bolt to 54 Nm. From this point onwards, the clamp should be discarded if the clamp bolt is slackened.

5. Manually attempt to slide or rotate the joint. No movement should be possible.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Buy the Lotus clamp, they are about $16 and don't have a nylon nut.
I agree - if you are using the stock muffler - but the OEM clamp will not work with many aftermarket exhausts (such as the larini). The clamp ID is simply too large.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts