The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i bought the Elise, hands down the number one question that people ask me is some form of, "How much did you pay for it?" or "How much does it cost?"

Am i crazy or is this a completely rude question? Is this just a materialistic Los Angeles thing or are the rest of you getting this question too?

-Steve

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Steve,
after a while you'll learn about 4 questions that everyone asks.

What is it?

Who makes it"

Who makes Lotus?

How fast does it go?

How much does it cost?

Chris

PS as the car is such a novelty no one has any idea what it would cost.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
But in Chris' math he'll say it cost 40k instead of 50k j/k
it was 5 questions instead of 4 :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zvezdah1 said:
Steve,
after a while you'll learn about 4 questions that everyone asks.

What is it?

Who makes it"

Who makes Lotus?

How fast does it go?

How much does it cost?

Chris

PS as the car is such a novelty no one has any idea what it would cost.
I'm totally fine with the other questions and am more than happy to chat with anyone about the car. Maybe i'm just an old fashioned type of guy but i just don't feel the cost is anyone's business. If they want to know they can look it up. I may start telling people this shortly but for now i'm trying to remain friendly.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
lol

I hear it a lot too and I think it has more to do with that they have no idea and are curious. It's not as rude as asking how much money you make or what is in your savings account. It is indeed a little personal, but I don't take it the poorly.

I just tell them the truth, that it costs under $150k.

:) (just kidding)

Mostly it is younger people. I expect it can be generational to some extent.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Don't have one yet, but I've found that when I show people the car in model form or in articles, they kind of look at me like, "hmmm you must be making more money than I thought...", so that I feel kind of compelled to tell them the car is not as expensive as they might think, at which point they say "oh, how much is it?" (as if they weren't wondering that before!). Universally when I say about 40,000 they are amazed.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Miguel said:
But in Chris' math he'll say it cost 40k instead of 50k j/k
it was 5 questions instead of 4 :)
he was 80% correct that a B and thats all i ever shot for.:clap:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Same basic experiences here. When I hear folks reactions about the price they are often astonished. Then I tell them it's hand assembled and painted by a skilled human being and not a robot.

Sometimes I'm amazed that some on the net feel that the dealer should be providing higher end service experiences. Well that would require a higher end price going in.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The styling of this car is so exotic, that those who don't know better think this car is very expensive. Sure, it IS, on a cost per pound basis ;), but the thing is, there's hardly anything to the car, and that makes it affordable.

I never know quite what to tell people when they ask; lately I'm telling people it 'starts at $40k'. I'm not comfortable with people thinking it's a $100k car, though I'm not sure why I'm that way. Maybe because it detracts from what's really special about the car and why I love it so much. It's not a status symbol for me, but rather an expression of my love of driving.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't consider the "how much?" rude, it has a list price and I tell people that and what it is. Now if someone ask me how much I paid for my house, that would be rude. How much I make, rude.
It's funny though the few times I have messed with people and told them $150,000 they don't bat an eye!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I wouldn't interpret it as rude. They're probably so excited about the car that they can't wait to find out if they could possibly afford to buy one. And they're not asking for personal information, I would just tell them what the list price is. I agree that it's kind of lazy, if I saw an exciting car somewhere and didn't know anything about it, I would probably go home and start reading up on it.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I get asked that all the time, so I just tell them what mine was with tax. ;)

Everyone thinks its a $100,000 car. Thing is, when I say $50,000 its like they instantly lose respect. Oh well. :huh:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Guys, I've always aspired to being mediocre, I'll take my "B"!

I don't have an issue with price, it's worth it just to see how amazed they are at the low price, always say wow!

Chris

·
Registered
118 Posts
Money is always a touchy subject. I would bet that most people know that it is rude, but are just so into the car and want to know if they can afford it, that they ask anyway. I would say it is rude, but forgivable. One answer I have found that works is "A bit more than I can afford". That lets them know it's a dream car you would stretch your budget for and not label you as filthy rich. The weird thing is the budget that got stretched becomes THEIR own budget, and they come up with a wide range of figures on their own.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I've heard other say that asking how much a car cost is rude. Personally, I don't find it offensive, unless there's a sacastic undertone in their voice, or "how much did YOU (personally) have to pay for YOUR car."

I think most people really don't know, want to know, and don't consider it rude. Also, it's information that available if they looked on Edmunds.

It's not like asking, "So, how much do you make?" which is not information readily accessible to the person on the street.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I also wrestle with the pricing issue. I don't have a personal issue with the car's price -- I would spend more on a car, probably -- but my family doesn't get my need for two fast cars, and even most of the better-paid guys at my work think having anything but a Honda or a "sensible" SUV is decadent. Shoot, they think my E36 M3 -- now worth about $13,000 -- is some kind of fancy-pants luxury car.

So I am sensitive to the pricing question. How much people make at my business is always sensitive, because everyone knows the editors make less than the sales people. As someone rooted in editorial, the fact that I can buy a car as exotic-looking as the Elise will raise some eyebrows.

Currently, I tell people it costs less than a Boxster, less than any BMW 5 series car, less than most Lexuses and M-Bs... This puts it in immediate perspective for people who don't appreciate cars.

When the car arrives, I'm going to issue a FAQ, and put it in the company newsletter. I'm going to offer people drives, and tell them exactly what it costs. I'd rather head off the controversy from day one. As Dennis Miller would say, "drive directly into the skid."

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Funny, I was asked this question a couple days ago. My simple one word answer was “Enough”. My girlfriend asked why I didn’t just tell them how much it was, I said because it’s
1. None of their business how much I paid for my car and
2. It’s a rude question to ask a stranger.
If I was selling the car then they would have a right to know how much I’m asking. But my car is not for sale so it’s really none of their business.

Some people don't mind the question, but I really don't care for strangers inquiring into my finances; which is really what they are doing weather or not they realize it. :no:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I do consider it rude to ask someone how much they paid for anything at all. It's just not respectful or classy to focus on money when meeting someone new. (Friends get different rules and don't have to be as polite.)

You don't look at someone's new engagement ring and inquire as to the price.

If someone is walking a rare breed of dog, you don't run up to them and say "how much one of them cost anyway?"

It baffles me that the question is as pervasive as it is. I've had people blurt out before Hello "Hey, how much is one of those?" If they really cared, they could ask about the name, model, whatever, and go look it up for themselves. At least pretend to be interested in something other than the price tag..

So I just make stuff up. "Doesn't matter! I stole it!"

Or say "I have no freekin idea how much this car costs. Hey, how much did you pay for that Pomeranian?"

1 - 20 of 54 Posts