The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
pointing it downward should increase the amount of downforce it supplies but would also increase drag however you would need to wind tunnel to car to know for sure.I'm unsure how the airflow looks there because of the drop off on the elise roof

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Also remember that at a certain "angle of attack" the wing will no longer produce any downforce.... so too much tilt is a bad thing. (I can't tell whether that is the case here, merely making an observation.)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
To see the wind flow you could do the old "tape yarn to the rollbar area of the car and to the wing" trick. The angle of attack on the ForcedFed wing is pretty steep too. I'd assume that they did testing on it to figure out the optimal angle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
noob question - how are these wings mounted? Is there a structure under the clam to mount it to? Some cheapie wing installs look like they're just bolted on the clam, and I wonder if the downward stress produced at high speeds can crack the clam..

I hate these giant aluminum wings on passenger cars as much as the next guy, but it looks great on the exige/elise. Perhaps I'm just biased..

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
To see the wind flow you could do the old "tape yarn to the rollbar area of the car and to the wing" trick. The angle of attack on the ForcedFed wing is pretty steep too. I'd assume that they did testing on it to figure out the optimal angle.
Kinda like this...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FWz-2fR0VuE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FWz-2fR0VuE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
great idea! I have a couple of those cheapy GoPro cams I could attach to the back of the car - if I remember will do this on my higher mounted wing on Wed at the track (which has been lowered to just below roofline)

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
I considered that for my Elise, but it is SOOOOugly!

It definitely produces less than the Exige, and we all know that produces very little.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I find out late Friday. If not I've talked to a friend that bought one and did not put it on. He says that I can sell it to you and give him one on the next shipment.:up:

Back on topic

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
It definitely produces less than the Exige, and we all know that produces very little.
48.2 lbs @ 100 mph in a 2,000lb car is decent compared to say, an STi's rear spoiler, which produces 100 lbs of downforce @ 100 mph in a 3,350lb car.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes, it's functional. It's mounted to the engine lid, which has been reinforced, and ties into the forward cargo bulkhead with a hood pin. It does not have an overly extreme angle of attack, it likely appears so to some as the rear of the car is significantly lifted on the dyno. Also, it's not an Exige wing, it's a custom carbon piece that's no longer manufactured.

The car was originally the hypersport prototype turbo car, which I put a good deal of work into in an effort to make it about the craziest Elise on the street, and certainly the best one available to rent.

The diffuser is slightly higher as it's on a redesigned upper mount, though it looks considerably more so as it's on the rollers in the video-- the rear clam is removable (4 pins, about five minutes).

As for why put that kind of work into a rental car-- well, that's what we do. All of the cars are modified to be the best of the best, and kept in pristine condition, as they're marketed to people who want the best possible experience, and not a car with pieces hanging off and discarded CDs rattling around under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
677 Posts
48.2 lbs @ 100 mph in a 2,000lb car is decent compared to say, an STi's rear spoiler, which produces 100 lbs of downforce @ 100 mph in a 3,350lb car.
With front splitter you get about 100lb downforce. 5% dowforce still not really spectacular in the grand scheme of things.
Mk1 Exige had 200lb total downforce at 100mph and circa 1700lb which is about 12%

Even then - ask a proper racer what kind of downforce they run and you'll realise just how much of a token gesture it is. Not saying it's not useful 'cause it is and it's a hell of a lot better than having lift at the axles like 99% of cars do.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
With front splitter you get about 100lb downforce.
Yes, the splitter adds 42.5lbs of downforce to the front @ 100 mph.

Even then - ask a proper racer what kind of downforce they run and you'll realise just how much of a token gesture it is. Not saying it's not useful 'cause it is and it's a hell of a lot better than having lift at the axles like 99% of cars do.
100% agree.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I am not an aerodynamicist but I think you guys are over simplifying this very complicated subject.

Downforce is more than just the wing and splitter and they are not necessarily contributing equally to the total.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I am not an aerodynamicist but I think you guys are over simplifying this very complicated subject.

Downforce is more than just the wing and splitter and they are not necessarily contributing equally to the total.
I'm a numbers guy, so I quote the numbers, Lotus' numbers, that's about it. I have read in several magazines that back to back, the Exige is quite a bit more poised at speed and under braking due to the aerodynamic additions, but I haven't tested this myself.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm a numbers guy, so I quote the numbers, Lotus' numbers, that's about it. I have read in several magazines that back to back, the Exige is quite a bit more poised at speed and under braking due to the aerodynamic additions, but I haven't tested this myself.
Back to back testing blidfolded I bet most magazines (and drivers) couldn't tell the difference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts