The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I replace my serpentine belt (Thanks again for the part #, Phil), has anyone else seen wear marks like this? I'm speaking about the stripe that's about 1/4" in from the right of the belt in this pic. The tensioner seems to be leaving it - it's not long enough to get out to the end of the belt. Is this normal? Should I look into replacing the tensioner? Will this belt die a premature death in its current state?

For the record, I have a Tri-point (pre-katana) supercharger, installed and serviced by Tri-point. The last time they (Tri-point) touched the car was about 20K miles ago to switch back to normal sized SC pulley (was running a smaller pulley originally). I don't believe they needed to change the belt at that time, but I could be wrong. Point being, the belt has either 20K or 30K miles on it.

This picture is from the top of the motor looking forward/down.

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Are you meaning that the idler pully is not centered on the belt?
Yes, that would be an issue and changing the belt won't fix it.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Do you have any nicks or dings in the pulley (that pulley where the back of the belt contacts the idler)?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you meaning that the idler pully is not centered on the belt?
Yes, that would be an issue and changing the belt won't fix it.
I know changing the belt won't fix the problem. The question was more to ask if this is a serious issue or just normal wear.
That said, I wasn't aware you could adjust the idler pulley out (telescopically). Is that true? Any special tool needed, or is there some sort of adjustment mechanism? (This isn't meant to sound snarky - if I can adjust it outward, then problem solved)

Do you have any nicks or dings in the pulley (that pulley where the back of the belt contacts the idler)?
I'll need to have a closer look to be sure, but I don't believe so. Does something in the pic lead you to think there is? ...or maybe you're thinking the wear band could be due to a nick in a pulley?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
846 Posts
I know changing the belt won't fix the problem. The question was more to ask if this is a serious issue or just normal wear.
That said, I wasn't aware you could adjust the idler pulley out (telescopically). Is that true? Any special tool needed, or is there some sort of adjustment mechanism? (This isn't meant to sound snarky - if I can adjust it outward, then problem solved)

I'll need to have a closer look to be sure, but I don't believe so. Does something in the pic lead you to think there is? ...or maybe you're thinking the wear band could be due to a nick in a pulley?

Thanks guys
You still haven't said whether the belt is tracking over the center of the idler pully on the tensioner or not...
If the belt is kind of hanging off the edge while rotating, that would explain the wear mark.
That pully isn't adjustable AFAK.
I would pull the belt, see if the bearing for the idler is wanked, look for nicks and, chips whatever.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
...or maybe you're thinking the wear band could be due to a nick in a pulley?
That was what I thought as a possibility

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You still haven't said whether the belt is tracking over the center of the idler pully on the tensioner or not...
If the belt is kind of hanging off the edge while rotating, that would explain the wear mark.
That pully isn't adjustable AFAK.
I would pull the belt, see if the bearing for the idler is wanked, look for nicks and, chips whatever.
The idler pulley is not centered on the belt. That's what I meant by, "The tensioner seems to be leaving it - it's not long enough to get out to the end of the belt." (I believe this pulley is part of the tensioner, but make no claims of knowing what I'm talking about ;))

I didn't think you could get a pic of the pulley, but if you shove the phone in at the correct angle, you can, so here it is (attached). Is it missing a spacer or something? Maybe on backwards?

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
The idler pulley is not centered on the belt. That's what I meant by, "The tensioner seems to be leaving it - it's not long enough to get out to the end of the belt." (I believe this pulley is part of the tensioner, but make no claims of knowing what I'm talking about ;))

I didn't think you could get a pic of the pulley, but if you shove the phone in at the correct angle, you can, so here it is (attached). Is it missing a spacer or something? Maybe on backwards?
There we go, that explains the mark.
There aren't any spacers on that pully, doubt it's on backwards.
It seems to be comming off the water pump correctly, that looks centered.
that pully looks to be metal, mine's plastic, maybe it's an after market one, dunno...
This is what the OEM one looks like:

Toyota OEM Accessory Belt Tensioner - Toyota 2ZZ-GE

I can't see any reason why you couldn't put a washer(s) in there to push it out.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Apex- That pulley is the idler pulley on the old tri-point and early Katana kits. It's been a LOOOONG time since I've seen one of those. I think I was about the last person to buy a t-point kit back in 2006, customer number 20, I believe- It came with the originaly Greddy kit, so you don't have that part...

Brian, It was normal for belts to wear a bit funny with that kit as the spacer and greddy pulley were/are just a touch off. IMO, you really don't need to worry about it much. You have 20K miles to support that;) The main issue with that setup is the big alternator bracket cracking. That's the part to keep an eye on. The belt can go for a *long* time with that slight misalignment. It looks like you even have the original tri-point belt on there too-- impressive for that kit!

I think we made nearlly 100 kits of a similar design concept for Sector before we abandoned the concept for a two piece nose-support bracket we designed that also does away with that additional idler pulley. I don't remember exactly when we switched to our nose support design, but it proved to be a lot simpler to install (being two-pieces, no idler pulley, etc) and stonger. Probably made 3-400 of those kits with the nose support design. That's the design that's still in place today and it's what we use on the rev kits as well...

If you ever want to bring your t-point kit up to modern bracket specs, let me know. Happy to help...

Phil

·
Registered
846 Posts
Apex- That pulley is the idler pulley on the old tri-point and early Katana kits. It's been a LOOOONG time since I've seen one of those. I think I was about the last person to buy a t-point kit back in 2006, customer number 20, I believe- It came with the originaly Greddy kit, so you don't have that part...
Phil
Yea, that clears it up, between the odd picture angle, the standoff and the pully location I couldn't figure WTF was going on there...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Apex- That pulley is the idler pulley on the old tri-point and early Katana kits.

If you ever want to bring your t-point kit up to modern bracket specs, let me know. Happy to help...

Phil
I'm keeping it real... real old school. :)

I'll send you a PM about updating.

Thanks again, Phil.

...and thanks for the link to the OE part, Apex. Good to know for comparison.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts