The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking to make a purchase. One of this issues with the car is a gash on the passenger side tire (see attached pic). I really don't know much about tires (at least yet hah). To me that looks somewhat concerning, but it was described as a "little mark." Does this look like something that I should plan on replacing as soon as possible or does it have a possibility of not being as bad as it looks?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
2021 Evora GT, 1986 Turbo Esprit
147 Posts
My understanding is sidewall repairs are virtually impossible, at least on my daily car. Had to replace the tire.

·
Administrator
5,783 Posts
That's a gash not a mark I would not use at all. It hit hard enough to mar the rim it looks like.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Definitely a concern for sure. I'd be replacing that tire if it was mine. Like @Catsailr27 said, it was enough to "pinch" that sidewall against the wheel and damage it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi All,

Looking to make a purchase. One of this issues with the car is a gash on the passenger side tire (see attached pic). I really don't know much about tires (at least yet hah). To me that looks somewhat concerning, but it was described as a "little mark." Does this look like something that I should plan on replacing as soon as possible or does it have a possibility of not being as bad as it looks?

Thanks!

View attachment 1290054
That tire is fine as long as you dont intend to take the car out of the garage, It's garbage when cut on the wall.

·
Scott M
315 Posts
I agree it looks like a problem I'd probably prioritize addressing.
However if I were confident the cords were not cut or damaged at all, I'd just drive on it without worry (no track use, naturally). Not looking to say others are wrong- just that I've driven performance vehicles on tires with similar cuts because I was comfortable about the integrity of the cords. Sidewall rubber is basically serving as a protective barrier for those belts/cords, right?

·
Super Moderator
2005 Lotus Elise
1,892 Posts
I second @Catsailr27 and @kestrou 's remarks plus I would want to have the rim checked. It was a pretty hard hit to the rim by the looks of it. How is the rest of the car?

Reactions: dogtag114

·
Registered
622 Posts
Put it to you this way.............tire cost to replace......maybe $250? .....cost of your life........$250...... ????

Rest my case or you can rest in peace

By the way.......phrasing the question the way you did makes it sort of a moral question.......OK OK so it's sort of a jerk way to answer.....but you phrased it that way. Rephrased > is this a tire any of you would drive on ??? Uhhh........nope !!

·
Registered
306 Posts
get the seller to replace the tire (better yet 2 tires on the same axle) and have the wheel balanced then go for a test drive to see if it wobbles/vibrates. if not, ask for a discount of 2 new tires/2 new rims

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, Metallic Racing Green
159 Posts
With just one view it's tough to say. It really depends how deep it is. I've driven on sidewall gashes that perhaps didn't look too different from that for tens of thousands of miles, but they were very superficial. That looks a little deeper, but hard to tell from just one view.

That being said, if you're buying it, I'd make them replace it before purchase, or credit the few hundred it would take to replace it.

·
Registered
1998 Lotus Esprit V8
190 Posts
Impact break - it will form a bubble in the sidewall inevitably. Looks like it got into the bead of the rim as well. That tire is done - very unsafe.

·
Registered
158 Posts
...and just for forensic fun, appears to be caused by 5/8 rebar which held a wooden retaining wall or curb in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would definitely get that replaced. Preferably as part of the sale/deal.
But there's gotta be a story behind that one - ask the seller and let us know.

·
Orange
161 Posts
Had this bulb on my front tire, when it was removed the damage was visible on the inside of the rubber. So my advise replace.

·
Premium Member
7,528 Posts
While tire is off, spin wheel to confirm concentricity.....meaning no flat spot.

That is n ot even debatable. That tire is 100% toast and if it fails, it would be catastrophic belt shear .....not good at 70-80mph when it tears the clam apart as well if you maintain control...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts