The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
753 Posts
Note the rim is damaged too, in the photo. Might just be cosmetic, but still, it's damaged.

·
Registered
630 Posts
if you drive no faster than 30 mph.....maybe you'll only spend 30 days in ICU at the hospital. If you drive faster......who knows how many days.
I can't believe this question even got asked...............so I'll ask this > Hey you own a Lotus, so you're to cheap to buy a friggin' tire ?????

·
Registered
257 Posts
Replaced only one tire on mine recently and noticed significant steering bias on heavy acceleration/deceleration because of a mere 1,500 miles difference in wear between it and it's axle mate. Have learned to compensate but would never risk tracking such a set up. Something to consider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, Any sidewall damage would lead to catastrophic failures. Especially one that has cut into the rubber, as yours is.

Sadly, time for a new tire

·
Registered
49 Posts
That tire is certainly trash, so they should replace both front tires and check the balance and alignment for any issues to the wheel and suspension before purchasing the car. Best to get a clean bill of health before the car becomes yours.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I’ve been driving on a cut sidewall rear tire that I Crazy-glued over two years ago and not as bad looking as this. Thousands of miles so far. But, then again, many people say there is something wrong with me. I don’t track it.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
"I bought a home in Florida and haven't seen a Hurricane and am not buying home insurance and its been fine so far."

This is risk mitigation and blowing out a tire at highway speeds or on a turn (when its under most stress) is not a money issue, its a crash and injury issue.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts
Why does everyone become a miser when it comes to a tire?
1. Its only a small gash
2. They are still OE (on a 2005 with 5K miles...)
3. They wear out too quickly. My 1st set wore out in 10K. I want tires that get at least 40K.... Might I suggest hockey pucks
4. The OE tires wore out too quick and are too expensive, I'm going to Town Fair to get some "you name the cheapest tire they sell" that are warrantied for 1 million miles (granted rolling is considerd an exclusion...)
5. I didn't like the look of the tread pattern...a personal favorite when fools say this stuff
6. They wore out real fast with 20 degrees of camber....

·
Registered
2018 Evora 400 Midnight Purple MT
93 Posts
Just caught a gash on the side of my tires a few weeks ago and have been meaning to post this. Holds pressure fine. No track use. Internet advice generally seems to be "if there's no belt/chord showing then you're fine". However, the safer option will always be to replace it.

·
Administrator
5,918 Posts
REPLACE

21 - 34 of 34 Posts