The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
jml1952 said:
I've seen a few copper colored cars on the road, and I agree that they aren't that bad. The Elise probably can pull it off. Just seems that if you are going to pay $600 for a special color, you should do better than that. Ditto for purple.
I'd love to get the purple if it wasn't so damn dark. You lose all of the curves with the darker colors. Magnetic Blue is almost too dark, but it's such a beautiful color that I'm going to go with it.

My heart is still crying out for Krypton green, I just can't imagine it with the aluminium wheels looking that great. KG with red interior would be great, especially around Christmas!

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Put my 'official' order in with Lotus of Atlanta two days ago. Went with Storm Titanium, red interior, LSS and hardtop. Basically loaded. This will become my new daily driver until I hit the lottery.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I opted for the touring package because Lotus told me if the car is going to be driven with any regularity on the street, the added sound and heat insulation is well worth it. They recommended the package for anyone who will be doing street driving.

I plan on using my car half on the street and half on the track, and felt the weight penalty was more than offset by the comfort factor. Hearing pebbles ping off the underside of the car is not good music for a street car.

I ordered the hardtop for Solo Trials.

Jeff

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just as a sanity check, I kinda think this "daily driver", "Lotus told me" stuff is getting taken a little too literally.

This car is pretty raw due to its fundamental design and materials usage, it squeeks, rattles and jars your bones/teeth... adding insulation might make 5% difference to that but it's still going to be a VERY visceral experience.

Over 5000 people drive S1's as I recall and many of them are/were daily drives, mine included. NEVER ONCE have I heard them say "ohhh I wish I had a bit more heat/sound insulation!" Most of the time it was "give me that sport exhaust NOW 'cos this car sounds like a fairy-poof-car without it".

It's a question of perspective here... don't think for a minute that the additional insulation turns the Elise into a nice comfortable drive, It's raw, hard work and the most fun you can have with your clothes on... but you will feel every join in the road through your backside (and teeth).

I'm easy on the whole thing (taking my car standard+hardtop for the winter) but just don't want anyone feeling that the only way to live with this car is with the touring option... 'cos 5000 people will tell you it just ain't true. Lotus of course not being among them 'cos they have a bank manager to keep happy.

Paul

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Paul MD said:
Lotus of course not being among them 'cos they have a bank manager to keep happy.

Paul

If that were the case, it would make more sense for Lotus to be pushing the twice as expensive sport pac on everyone- which they're clearly not doing. I don't doubt that Lotus will be happy to make the extra cash on the touring pack, but I think they also want happy customers.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Paul MD said:

Over 5000 people drive S1's as I recall and many of them are/were daily drives, mine included. NEVER ONCE have I heard them say "ohhh I wish I had a bit more heat/sound insulation!" Most of the time it was "give me that sport exhaust NOW 'cos this car sounds like a fairy-poof-car without it".

It's a question of perspective here... don't think for a minute that the additional insulation turns the Elise into a nice comfortable drive, It's raw, hard work and the most fun you can have with your clothes on... but you will feel every join in the road through your backside (and teeth).

I'm easy on the whole thing (taking my car standard+hardtop for the winter) but just don't want anyone feeling that the only way to live with this car is with the touring option... 'cos 5000 people will tell you it just ain't true. Lotus of course not being among them 'cos they have a bank manager to keep happy.

Paul

but, most S2 buyers are ordering the Touring Pack

that's what Lotus told me, anyway ;)

:D

·
Registered
739 Posts
... and we all know how reliable Lotus are with what they tell people!!!! BWHAHHAHAAAAAAAHAHAA

Me, I've never been one to follow the crowd, I just offer the information as perspective....

The touring pack surely has some useful stuff (like the cargo net for one) but as detailed in the other thread, it seems to me that the main reason for its adoption is/should be the desire to access a broader interior colour palate (which is fine). I don't think I'd be getting it as a way to add significant levels comfort... That ain't why one buys an Elise after all.

As for the LSS, it has been fairly well recognised that serious track folks will get a big kick out of the LSS. For road use it can be quite hard to live with unless you're real hardcore (counts me out).

I guess my message is simply: the car is a fine daily drive even without the touring pack and if you're spending money on one option you might wanna consider a hard-top (if you live somewhere with tough winters) or sport exhaust/headlight/harness-seat upgrades as an alternative way to spend the money.

Or better still -- driver development lessons.

Paul :)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Does anyone really know what the sound insulation is supposed to affect? I mean does anyone precisely know? This is info I would like to have. Where exactly is it placed?

Is it possible that the extra carpeting and this famed sound insulation are one and the same!!!???

Or is the touring pack's upgraded top the extent of the extra sound insulation?

As for Paul's warnings of squeaks and rattles: Are these really an inevitable function of the car's basic design, or unfortunate by-products of sub-par craftsmanship and/or parts? I'm asking because I could have sworn I read somewhere that the Elise has suffered fewer and fewer squeaks and rattles as the years have worn on. (Thus suggesting the squeaks/rattles have been ironed out in the production line.)

Finally, as for the argument that any candy-ass comfort amenities detract from the fundemental Elise philosophy, I can dig that. But I will also posit that a comfortable driver is a more focused, alert driver.

To this end: I'd like to see an option pack that ditches the radio entirely (because it's a distraction), and adds truly supportive and grippy but nonetheless lightweight seats. My dream option pack would also do everything possible to eliminate distracting noise (squeaks, rattles, wind, pebbles) and increase helpful noise (engine/exhaust). I wish the sports exhaust was a factory option because I find as much feedback from the engine as possible to be a good driving aid.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Just by virtue of it's construction I'm sure their'll be rattles and squeaks but certainly not like the S1. Especially after the car's done several thousand miles, Due to the tub chassis.

Chris

·
Supporting Vendor
4,084 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
...As for Paul's warnings of squeaks and rattles: Are these really an inevitable function of the car's basic design, or unfortunate by-products of sub-par craftsmanship and/or parts? I'm asking because I could have sworn I read somewhere that the Elise has suffered fewer and fewer squeaks and rattles as the years have worn on. (Thus suggesting the squeaks/rattles have been ironed out in the production line.)...
Squeaks and rattles are a function of correct assembly technique, good part design AND proper material selection.
Lotus is forced to make comprises in each of these areas to meet stated cost and performance targets. The Fed car is supposedly the tightest Elise yet. Lexus and others have achieved super quiet cars by compromising weight. I am glad Lotus has chosen another path. I for one am willing to live with the resulting noise compromise.

I tarted up my car with the Touring pack and then butched it up with the Sport pack. I guess that makes me nuetral? :D

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
shinoo said:
I tarted up my car with the Touring pack and then butched it up with the Sport pack. I guess that makes me nuetral? :D
Until you factor in the CO... (The devil made me do it). I'm doing the same thing. I don't like compromise but I want some of the things the touring pack offers. I can get some of the weight gain back by removing carpeting.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think that Jon et al make very good points. I am somewhat sceptical about EXACTLY what the 'improved insulation' constitutes... This car is like no other on the road and I'm not entirely sure than an extra piece of carpet or matting is gonna make a huge amount of difference - some yes, but this car is miles away from anything you might expect from the mainstream.

FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS!

Roof insulation - maybe in a real cold climate but it's gonna do JACK for wind noise - that is not a function of insulative factor of the roof to any great extent. It's all down to vorticies generated all over the place, panel gaps etc.

One significant whinge in the S1 was the side rails getting hot on your leg - extra carpet would help that I agree.

Yep Shinoo - I think you've got it perfect - you won't be able to hear when you scrape the front clamshell on the driveway! Arf arf arf :D

It's gonna rattle boys - simply because it's so damn stiff and the bumps AREN'T all getting absorbed by a big squishy shocker a la Lexus. Some of the rattles will be your fillings.

But man are they BEAUTIFUL rattles and squeeks.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
Does anyone really know what the sound insulation is supposed to affect? I mean does anyone precisely know? This is info I would like to have. Where exactly is it placed?

Is it possible that the extra carpeting and this famed sound insulation are one and the same!!!???

Or is the touring pack's upgraded top the extent of the extra sound insulation?
Per Nick Adams at the LAAS, it is a 'special material', ie. proprietary and that's all we're telling you, which (per standard Lotus doctrine) has an exceptional degree of sound absorption relative to its weight.

It is incorporated into various areas in the car, and is over and above the Touring softtop insulation.

This is separate from added carpeting.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Regarding the stiff, punishing ride of the Elise:

This is at odds with almost every road test and review I've seen on the Elise. Almost without fail these reviews remark on how smooth and comfortable the ride of the Elise is, compared to its competition.

Of course this does not mean anyone will close their eyes and mistake themselves into thinking they're riding in a Maybach or Caddy, but I expect the ride of the Elise to be no worse, and possibly better, than its sports car competition (Boxster, S2000, MR2, etc.)

The articles usually talk about how the stiffness of the Elise's chassis and light weight allows Lotus to tune for a more compliant ride without losing any handling potential. So if the Elise is a total kidney-buster, harsher than it's competition - I'd be really disappoined. Traditionally this is not the Lotus way anyway (having a buckboard-stiff ride quality to make the car handle.) To me, part of the Lotus magic is being able to make the car handle yet retain some measure of civility (the engineering and developmental aspect that sets them apart from kit car manufacturers.)

As for the parts falling off, alas, that is probably part of the Lotus magic too...

DLY

·
Registered
587 Posts
maxxfish said:
Just trying to make the car more affordable after finding out that my color of choice (Graphite Gray) is going to cost an additional $1200. Ouch! Why?
Isn't it only an extra $500 if you were planning on ordering metallic paint anyway (which was a $700 option, IIRC)?

I thought that's how the book that was floating around here a few months ago listed colors 1) standard 2) metallic 3) 'lifestyle', three mutually exclusive options.

- John

·
Registered
739 Posts
SUV is right in his references for sure.

Just don't anyone go kidding themselves that adding the touring pack gives you (for example) 350Z comfort and ride - far from it!

Light weight contributes to good handling in many (glorious) ways but when it comes to a 1/4" step in the concrete actually counts against you since the Elsie will be more prone to skipping. There are plenty of posts in the UK talking of how the Elise can be something of a handful on a bumpy road. Sometimes Mr Newton has to make his presence felt and mass plays a big part in momentum or lack thereof.

:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have not read anywhere if anyone is planning on removing the stock seats and belts for a racing seat with a 4-point harness pulled through the seat. What kind of cost is this after-market option?

Attachments

81 - 100 of 106 Posts