The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my ECU off to Mike to get set up for the turbo, only to find out his software was made for the 06 T4E ECU not the 05 OBD1 ECU.

Is there anyone out there that does tuning for the 05 ECU, and that would leave it very drivable and no issues as a daily driver?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
email BOE Fabrication and ask Phil..He tuned my '05, but for a rev 400 sc, not sure if he'd do a turbo. Can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The 2005 ECU was just called "T4". It is still an OBD-II ECU. OBD-I was phased out back in 1995.

That being said, as far as I know, BOE and Vision Function both can tune the T4 ECU. Contact Turbophil for BOE Fabrication and [email protected] for Vision Function.

VF is in Gaithersburg, Maryland which may be closer for you.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main reason I went with mike was to have the ability to tweak a tune on the stock ecu without having to fly someone out each time. I was told by him using a standalone is going to kill the drivability, and on a daily driver, that was something that is going to be very important.

Sounds like at this point finding something that's been outfitted for the T4 and has great drivability is going to be very limited :shrug:

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Give Mike a chance to look at the T4 and see if he can adapt what he has for the TE4 to work with the T4. I spoke to him to and told him there are many of us with a T4 that would be interesting this version

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only problem is it sounded like it would be atleast a good 2-3 months down time just to get the tune back, not to mention it hasn't been tested and proven, and on stock internals I'd be a bad candiate to be the ginnea pig...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I went through this process of getting a 05 elise with a 275ff kit tuned. turboPhil can do it, but i believe he will want to have the car to do the tune.

I have the standalone x2 efi and it run well. I do not drivability issues.

standalone x2 efi has data logging feature and you can run the base tune do data logging and make changes from data logging

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
I went through this process of getting a 05 elise with a 275ff kit tuned. turboPhil can do it, but i believe he will want to have the car to do the tune.
Once again the diffrence here is Mike's solution would allow for tuning by the end user on the fly.

While several companies ie. Vision Function, ColdFire etc allow tuning it must and can only be done by them. You can't change the tune by yourself.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It is not true it must and can only be done by them

I did mine with a base tune from DRS and some tuning with the help of DRS

As far as i know no one has used Mike's solution to do tuning on the fly for a 275 ff kit . he would be the 1st person to do this.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Once again the diffrence here is Mike's solution would allow for tuning by the end user on the fly.

While several companies ie. Vision Function, ColdFire etc allow tuning it must and can only be done by them. You can't change the tune by yourself.
If "Mike" really has the ability to do this he should.

Lots of people have been asking for end user programming on the stock ECU for some time!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As soon as Radium gets their new standalone that utilizes the new AEM ems, wouldn't that allow the end user to tune it the same way?
The bright side to that is it does not rely on a MAF and has an auxiliary harness.

I do need to find something that would allow the end user to perform small tweaks though, as flying someone out and paying several hundered dollars just for a minor tweak seems a pretty rediculous.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
As soon as Radium gets their new standalone that utilizes the new AEM ems, wouldn't that allow the end user to tune it the same way?
The bright side to that is it does not rely on a MAF and has an auxiliary harness.

I do need to find something that would allow the end user to perform small tweaks though, as flying someone out and paying several hundered dollars just for a minor tweak seems a pretty rediculous.
Its a standalone so yes it will allow for end user tuning... just like the efi unit does today.

However there are downsides to standalones primarily obd compliance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry Wek, as you know I've been really busy. I will hold on to the copy of your ROM file and disassemble it more when things quiet down for the winter. I wasn't willing to hook up the tactrix cable to your ECU and run the risk of wiping out your ECU so I just read it via BDM. At this point or until I could buy a spare T4 and test with it I'd really be stuck doing it in - person. I generally tune all summer and then write software all winter.

Implementing all the live tuning stuff on the T4E was a pretty big job as I had to patch and re-implement all the OBD2 routines to maintain standards compliance. I'm not sure that I'd be able to deliver all the same options for the T4 just because of the sheer amount of work. Don't forget I worked on the T4E ROM for almost 2 years.

Fortunately the 2005 has a fairly similar map structure but I haven't had the time to get far enough into seeing how many settings I can actually match up. Since they changed processors it's not simple like moving from a T4E to a T6E. I have an extensive set of modules I wrote to cross match all the routines but I don't think anyone is smart enough to cross match against a different processor/compiler!

-Michael

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for trying though, I ended up going with Radium's AEM because I need to get my daily driver back up and running asap :D
Luckilly I'll be changing my registration to SC where they don't even have emissions.

Just a little worried about getting their AEM tweaked, as I don't want to end up getting it tuned by someone locally and then finding out later they had no concept of lift timing, or ending up with a tune that isn't very drivable under non-ideal conditions.

So no I need to find a reputable tuner near Greenville, SC to tweak Radiums AEM. Suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Thanks for trying though, I ended up going with Radium's AEM because I need to get my daily driver back up and running asap :D
Luckilly I'll be changing my registration to SC where they don't even have emissions.

Just a little worried about getting their AEM tweaked, as I don't want to end up getting it tuned by someone locally and then finding out later they had no concept of lift timing, or ending up with a tune that isn't very drivable under non-ideal conditions.

So no I need to find a reputable tuner near Greenville, SC to tweak Radiums AEM. Suggestions anyone?
Yep did the same..waiting patiently for the AEM to arrive. Couldn't wait till some unknown future date as the car is already Turbo'd and needs a proper tune asap

·
Registered
243 Posts
Probably the Radium guys have a well enough developed map that you could drive the car. For tweaking the maps you want to find someone who has a car you can see or test drive before letting them tune yours. Any kid can read a how-to on the interweb and become an AEM eggspert but there are very few guys who can make it drive well. Let's not forget having it start and idle in the cold.

I wouldn't be too worried about the lift thing - it's not exactly an exotic feature. Some cars come with continuously variable cam timing on 4 cams plus continuously variable lift too! Those are hard to tune. You need to find a really good tuner with experience that extends to honduh and nissan.

Again, see how the Radium mapping runs. All the stuff I've seen from them has been well engineered so don't assume it won't work properly until you test it.

-Michael

·
Registered
591 Posts
so its possible to have a small turbo setup (250whp or so) and tuned on a stock 05 ecu? these cars are worlds apart from what im used to so trying to be as blunt and clear as possible.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
so its possible to have a small turbo setup (250whp or so) and tuned on a stock 05 ecu? these cars are worlds apart from what im used to so trying to be as blunt and clear as possible.
Yes.

Unfortunately though the people who can tune the ECU are few and far between. Koldfire/BOE and Vision Function are the only ones that can do custom tunes on the stock ECU.

However it sounds like there is another option coming out soon that will allow for end user programmability on the stock ECU. That will open up the doors A LOT for the community. If the tuning solution is good enough a good local tuner should be able to tune a 400whp turbo setup on the stock ECU without issue.

However nothing like that exists at the moment, so for now if you use the stock ecu you either pay big money to have one of the 2 stock ecu houses do a custom tune for you, or you run a standalone and get it tuned locally.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
^i take it your running a k pro on your k swap? you work at west bend dyno by chance?
Yes and yes! Alhough honestly I don't work full time at WBD. I just do tuning for the imports, standalone cars, and modern (NGC) Chrysler.

You must be from around the area?!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts