1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the vwvortex this topic comes up every once and a while:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=971709

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1539017

I read in the UK mag Car I think VW boss Bernd Pischetsrieder gave the Elise props and perhaps sees a light weight track star in VW's future, although light weight and VW have been an oxymoron for several years.

From Jamie of Vwvortex who has inside connections:

"This whole thing is a riot. Here is the *real* deal on this car...
VW is working on a Mazda Miata-type roadster that is lightweight and a blast to drive. They are playing around with a unique engine configuration that is around 1.4l with turbocharging and supercharging and FSI - think lots of power out of a small displacement engine that still gets decent gas mileage (if it survives at all of course).

Rumor has it that it will be RWD as well - we'll see.

It will however be a "normal" roadster configuration with a softop - not the open-wheel hybrid thing in the photos above.

-jamie"

·
Registered
866 Posts
After owning an Audi TT, I would doubt this car would be built. In many previous posts, I have mentioned how VW/AUDI has lost the HP race, and lost it badly to the likes of BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and it is looking like Chrysler is going to put out some high HP beasts too. I believe VW might do something like this, but it would be powered by, what else, the VR6 engine. It would probably be based on the standard (read usual) Jetta platform, and would be called a what? Oh yeah, a TT. There were rumors that the TT would get redesigned and the 3.2L mill would eventually be turbocharged, and it would have 300 hp. Guess what, they added the 3.2L engine, and it was 250 hp, and the stock 1.8 turbo could outrun it. Thinking like this is unbelievable.

Woudl I like to see more Elise like cars? YES! I think manufacturers could learn a lot from each other. VW designed the Concept C which was similiar to what was posted, and it looked good too. I think that one proble is that VW does not have a RWD platform. They have the famous quattro system, but it is not RWD. I am sure it could be adapted, but there are no RWD VW cars driving around that I am aware of currently.

I think the Pontiac Solstace will be interesting with the 240 hp it was promised, but it got fat at 2800 pounds.

I also think Audi needs to redesign all of their powerplants, bring over the real power in the form of the RS series, go back to turbochargine, lose weight, and come up with real performance platforms for real cars. Untill we see it in Audi a premium brand, I don't think it will be seen in any of the VWs which is really to bad.
Remember the S4 is almost 4000 pounds, and ahs 344 hp. The new SRT version of the 300 C will have well over 400 hp (granted it will be a 6.1 liter motor). The new mustang comes standard with 300 hp. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Couple of points.......

Audi is introducing, starting with the next A6 a new family of engines which include a new fuel delivery system unlike any other in the world. It increases HP while not sacrificing MPG. If you need me to, I'll look for a link.

Second, the VW roadster WILL HAPPEN. It was previewed about 12 months ago and is very much in spiritual line with the Elise. A concept was shown not long ago and look for it to carry the "Karmen Ghia" badge. It will certainly not be the same as our first gen US Elise but will be cross shopped and will likely make a huge sales splash because it will be more livable and preceived reliable than our cars. the fact that it will also retail for the mid to high 20's won't hurt either.

·
Registered
866 Posts
wallabyguy said:
Couple of points.......

Audi is introducing, starting with the next A6 a new family of engines which include a new fuel delivery system unlike any other in the world. It increases HP while not sacrificing MPG. If you need me to, I'll look for a link.

Second, the VW roadster WILL HAPPEN. It was previewed about 12 months ago and is very much in spiritual line with the Elise. A concept was shown not long ago and look for it to carry the "Karmen Ghia" badge. It will certainly not be the same as our first gen US Elise but will be cross shopped and will likely make a huge sales splash because it will be more livable and preceived reliable than our cars. the fact that it will also retail for the mid to high 20's won't hurt either.

I am aware about their new direct gasoline injection engines, and they are intersting, but compared to BMW and Mercedes, I think they place a distant third. I think the more small lightweight cars around the better for number of reasons. I sure hope VW will bring a new car over, and I hope that some of the japanese manufacturers will develop rear wheel drive platforms. I think that the best part about VW and Audi is their interiour design. It is beautiful, and in the VW price range second to none. I hope you are right, but after seeing my beloved TT get outmuscled over and over again, it made me a little sad and cynical. The TT after a chip, will make between 260-270 hp, which is where it should have been from factory!! Get with it VW, people sometimes want to have fun in yoru cars too. Make a former owner proud darn it!:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts