The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Just wondering. Mine only has the VIN number on the driver side frame. My door jamb just has a sticker with the tire pressure info.
You are looking for the VIN sticker in the wrong place. It is applied to the exposed aluminum frame below the sill cover right across from the driver's seat left bolster. Stand next to the car with the door open and look at the frame just below the rear of black plastic sill cover. You will see the VIN sticker applied upside down (so you can read it) to the aluminum frame.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are looking for the VIN sticker in the wrong place. It is applied to the exposed aluminum frame below the sill cover right across from the driver's seat left bolster. Stand next to the car with the door open and look at the frame just below the rear of black plastic sill cover. You will see the VIN sticker applied upside down (so you can read it) to the aluminum frame.
Mine is right side up, so I can read it from the driver seat.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I am glad this thread was started.

I have observed that the decals in the door jamb are different and inconsistent.

For example, when I open my door, I have the tire pressure decal and one with the VIN. Sometimes though I have seen some that have this VIN decal on the drivers door hinge.

I also one inside the sill - visible from inside beside the drivers seat.

Every Lotus Elise and Exige I have seen has the VIN in the lower drivers windshield.

Here is my theory - I think it depends on the color of the car. Again, for example, my car is Storm Titanium. Every other Storm Titanium Elise and Exige I have seen has the VIN decal in the door jamb along with the tire pressure decal. The only exception to this is cars that have been repainted there - the one with the VIN can not be replicated or purchased from Lotus.

However I have noticed some other colors - like Chili Red and Chrome Orange have the VIN decal I am referring to on the drivers door hinge itself.

I don't know what the story is behind this but maybe some others can clarify.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Mine is upside down as well.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My tire info sticker on the door jamb doesn't even have the VIN number on it.

Oh, and the one on the frame is in fact upside down! My head must have been on wrong the first time I looked!

It might have to do with the year/model of the car.

Mine is an 08 Exige S 240 Aspen White.
Here are some pictures of what I am referring to:
mine in storm titanium

and another in graphite gray

note the two decals flanking the post in the jamb. The top one is the tire pressure and the bottom one has the VIN on it. This is the one that, on some colors, seems to be on the drivers door hinge --- anyone know why this would be different? Maybe my theory is mistaken - perhaps it has nothing to do with the color but I don't see all colors with both in the door jamb like pictured. I have been told that the decal on bottom cant be reproduced if damaged.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
This is what an 08 Exige S 240 door jamb looks like.
I saw a 08 240 S that was Storm Titanium that had both stickers in the door jamb like I had in the previous pictures. This reinforces my theory that it has something to do with the color - but I can't make any sense of it.

Here are some pictures of some that are on the drivers door hinge.

One is graphite gray and the other is canyon red.

I don't get it. :shrug:

I have been looking at this to help determine if a car has been repaired/repainted or had body work since this supposedly can't be replaced.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I think some of you are looking in the wrong place... the manufacturer's sticker (with VIN) is on the inside of the chassis (i.e. you can see it when the door's closed from the driver's seat) right next to where the hatch release is on an Exige...

·
Registered
17 Posts
the manufacturer's sticker (with VIN) is on the inside of the chassis (i.e. you can see it when the door's closed from the driver's seat) right next to where the hatch release is on an Exige...
I've got one there too, upside-down for easy reading while outside the Lotus. Plus the tire pressure sticker on the door jamb. And then another VIN sticker on the driver's side door hinge.

Wish I could remove the VIN sticker from the windshield. Would clean up the look of the windshield.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I think some of you are looking in the wrong place... the manufacturer's sticker (with VIN) is on the inside of the chassis (i.e. you can see it when the door's closed from the driver's seat) right next to where the hatch release is on an Exige...
There may be some confusion going on...

to clarify

There is a vin decal/label in the lower driver side windshield - at the base of the dash.

There is a vin decal label in the inside drivers sill - near the seat

There is a tire pressure label in the door jamb.

Now this is what I am talking about which seems to be in either one of two locations --- there is a label that is on the door jamb or door hinge (seems to vary depending on color) that talks about month and year of manufacture along with fed exemptions - this label also has the VIN on it. See photos above that show Storm Titanium with the label in the door jamb (above and below the post) and you will see beneath it another post with pictures of Canyon Red and Graphite that have it on the drivers door hinge itself.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
There may be some confusion going on...

to clarify

There is a vin decal/label in the lower driver side windshield - at the base of the dash.

There is a vin decal label in the inside drivers sill - near the seat

There is a tire pressure label in the door jamb.

Now this is what I am talking about which seems to be in either one of two locations --- there is a label that is on the door jamb or door hinge (seems to vary depending on color) that talks about month and year of manufacture along with fed exemptions - this label also has the VIN on it. See photos above that show Storm Titanium with the label in the door jamb (above and below the post) and you will see beneath it another post with pictures of Canyon Red and Graphite that have it on the drivers door hinge itself.
Ah, I see what you mean... the fed exemption sticker is either or the hinge or the door jamb... I thought you were talking about upside down "point of origin" sticker.

In that case, my fed exemption sticker is on the hinge and the tire pressure sticker is by itself on the jamb.

·
Registered
764 Posts
White, 06 Elise:

Has VIN at door jamb with tire pressure.

Has sticker on the frame near the driver's left hip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts