The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Read this and made me think:

http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/scienceques2004/20050128.htm

What is the furthest you have ever been from other human beings?

When I actually thought about all the remote places I have been, they were with at least one other person ! I am guessing when I once drove through Death Valley alone, very early in the morning and no other cars were around at some points I would guess I was 30 miles from another human being? (taking into account rangers, gas stations etc.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I've been on some solo drives in remote areas... maybe 30 miles to the nearest other human. It didn't seem like much because I had my car and the road would return me to populated areas.

I went backpacking in Glacier National Park with one other guy in late September. We camped about 8 miles from our car... no other cars around. Our campsite had about 8 inches of snow and it was next to a lake that was frozen solid. It dropped down to about 10 degrees F that night. My sleeping bag was only rated to 20 and my ground pad was too thin. I nearly froze my butt off that night... had to turn every 20 or 30 minutes to let one cheak thaw while the other started to freeze.

That felt like isolation. I'm sure there were far more grizzly bears than humans within a 20 mile radius.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah what caught me off guard is how I have been in many remote locations, upwards of 70 miles from the nearest road let alone humans, I was deep deep in the Colorado Rockies, BUT I was with a group of people so it does not count. I had to really think about the farthest I have ever been from another human, all by myself

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
OTOH, philosophically, one does not have to be in a remote location to be 'isolated' from humanity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts