The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in totally livid. First time I'm taking the Liz out for the day, going to work!
Stopped at the light this morning 6:15AM , 10-15ft behind a Camry on a slight incline. somebody stoped right on my tail. Camry driver doesn't pay attention and car starts rolling back! I'm on the horn but he didn't brake and hit me! I heard the crunching nois and couldn't believe it! The front is cracked in 3 places! and its going to have to be replaced, luckily the camrys bumper was low enough that it only hit the front spoiler piece and not the main clamshell.

Any ideas how much and how long its going to take to fix it?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
I am in totally livid. First time I'm taking the Liz out for the day, going to work!
Stopped at the light this morning 6:15AM , 10-15ft behind a Camry on a slight incline. somebody stoped right on my tail. Camry driver doesn't pay attention and car starts rolling back! I'm on the horn but he didn't brake and hit me! I heard the crunching nois and couldn't believe it! The front is cracked in 3 places! and its going to have to be replaced, luckily the camrys bumper was low enough that it only hit the front spoiler piece and not the main clamshell.

Any ideas how much and how long its going to take to fix it?
:eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: -eek-

Wow that SUCKS! I would say your best bet to get it fixed is to call the dealership. They should be able to help. I feel your pain man

:wallbang: :wallbang:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I think we need to have a local brute squad in place to knee cap people like that. That simply INEXCUSABLE. I feel your pain, I was flinching as I was reading your post.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Princeton has 2 front clams in stock now. As far as the lower portion is concerned, I have no idea. The parts are out there and frankly, I think at least some of the dealers saw this coming.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
That's horrible! So sorry to hear it. What did the Camry driver say afterwards? How did s/he justify their actions?

My guess for what it'd cost to repair - at *least* $2k. Nightfall is metallic, right? That may complicated the respray, as I think it's tougher to blend a metallic color in with surrounding panels. Probably won't take too long to get repaired, as Lotus has had plenty of time to get spare parts brought over (I hear some dealers already have spare body parts). Even then, you'll be looking at 2-3 weeks of downtime. :(

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
That sucks!!

PICS?

·
Registered
963 Posts
While that does suck, you got lucky. It could have been much worse. Man, I would have flipped. Their insurance pays for that right? I haven't had to deal with Florida insurance yet.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
btw- in situations like this, be sure to get the name and ph.# of at least one witness. I would'nt be surprised for them to say you hit them. It's happened to me before, and it comes down to your word against theirs and they might not end up covering all the damage. People are a-holes when it comes to paying for accidents.(as if that's news):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
obviously this isn't possible in all situations, but in general this is a perfect example of why you should always have an escape route planned when stopped behind someone and always leave yourself enough room to get away.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I *ALWAYS* get a Police Report. They tend to prevent the other person from changing their stories later on. I added a very loud set of air horns to my first Lotus Europa. In years of street driving the horn saved me many times. You need a killer loud horn these days since cars are quiet, have loud sound systems and cell phones. The air horns sound cool. Even louder are the German get-outta-my-way-right-now Hella aftermarket horns.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tell you guys i couldn't believe it was happening to me! I/ going to stop 50 ft away form the next car fro now on. I truly didn't know what to do, do I hit the guy or do I try to be nice, we'll see what happens on the insurance front! I'm going to call the delaer in a litlle while and get som idea on prices. I'll post the pics but it doesnt look like much, the main thing is the mental anguish!

·
Registered
542 Posts
sorry to hear, ntflblueliz.

like don't camry's come in only woossie(sp) automatics?? they have hill guards in the trannies for that.... the ineptness of the general public never ceases to amaze me!

at least you aren't posting this from behind bars...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
I heard the crunching nois and couldn't believe it! The front is cracked in 3 places! and its going to have to be replaced, luckily the camrys bumper was low enough that it only hit the front spoiler piece and not the main clamshell.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the clam can not be 'taken apart' and is not sold in separate pieces (bonded at the factory), so this means you need a whole new front clam.

Sorry..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That completely blows. Sorry to hear about it, but I'm glad the damage was localized to the lower portion of the car.

I agree with everyone... get a police report or witness statement. It always baffles me how people who are in the wrong can later claim that you were the instigator of the damage. I guess everyone has their own skew on reality.

As for the body work... let us know how it turns out. If you had the Starshield, you'll need to wait 2 or 3 weeks after painting to apply the Starshield material. (The paint needs to "breathe" or out-gas and fully cure.)

Again... sorry to hear about this incident. Some drivers out there are morons.

Bob

1 - 20 of 160 Posts