The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday was a fun day. Went out for a short drive and about two blocks from my house at a red light the old woman in a 2010 Toyota Sienna van decided it was a good time to put her car in reverse and hit the gas. She said she didnt see me in the rear view mirror as the Lotus is so low to the ground. The front bumper is cracked and scratched all to hell and the clam is busted between the headlight and fog light as well as being gashed quite a ways up it. Headlight and fog lights are toast. Im hoping the damage under is minor but have not been able to check yet. She didnt have a drivers license... Sigh... But does have insurance though I am sure not enough. Already filed a claim. One thing I know for sure is I DO NOT want to own a car that has been in a wreck. What are my options? Should I have it repaired then sell it? I know I could get a "scare quote" and get the car totaled but that seems like a bad thing to do to one of the few Elise's still cruising around the states. I also however dont want to get it "repaired" then sell it and have the next owner deal with cracking paint bubbling and other issues. I could also get a payout for the repairs and sell it as is to someone who knows how to fix it right but I would have no idea as to the value the car would bring in its current state. 2006 30k miles. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Man!!! I'm so sorry to see your Elise like this. I hope you get this resolved one way or the other quickly.

I am upset that she didn't even have a license?! wth?

Reactions: Mitchrvguy

·
Registered
23 Posts
One of the downsides of low-slung sports cars. This happened to me in my Esprit some years ago while I was in it.. I watched in horror as a Suburban who clearly couldn't see me just kept backing on up and into my almost new paint job. I think my eye level was at the height of her bumper.

·
Administrator
3,146 Posts
Bummer but totally repairable without the expense of clam replacement and if it's a competent shop you wouldn't know the difference when they finish.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
If it were me, I'd get it fixed and not worry about it. However, since you're dead set against owning a car that's been damaged, let the insurance total it and walk away.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,770 Posts
That sucks, but I don't understand why you refuse to own a car that has been in an accident. Especially when you know the exact damage is and how minor it is. Lotus get fiberglass repairs all the time without the issues you described. Hell many times, they get better paint jobs than what they left the factory with!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you’re interested in salvaging that headlight, I have lens replacements in pretty good condition. PM me if interested. Sorry that this happened.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can let insurance total it, buy it back, then sell it in its current condition. You would make out pretty well since that damage is easy to repair. Alternatively, buy it back, fix it, and just enjoy the car knowing that you are in the black and when the times come to sell, you will make money on it.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,222 Posts
Hayes at Wirewheel would have this car fixed up as good as new...maybe he would buy it from you?

This sucks though, man. Sorry.

Sadly, this tale has been told SO MANY times in the threads of this forum. I'm ALWAYS worried about this when I'm in the Elise. I usually leave at least a full car length between me and the car in front when stopped, and always try to hug the left side of my lane so at least there's a chance the driver in front will see me in their side mirror.

But damn, that's frustrating.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I think I could drive myself crazy, but why the F do people randomly throw cars into reverse at a stop light? are they just trying to change lanes for whatever reason and choosing to do it then? God that is awful and ridiculous.

·
Registered
2006 Exige K24A2 SC
93 Posts
You can let insurance total it, buy it back, then sell it in its current condition. You would make out pretty well since that damage is easy to repair. Alternatively, buy it back, fix it, and just enjoy the car knowing that you are in the black and when the times come to sell, you will make money on it.
If you don't want it, I'd encourage you to sell it here once you buy it back. There seems to be a lineup for projects like this for enthusiasts where the financial barriers to entry are just too high.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
It's a hard spot to be in.

DO NOT forget about Diminished Value. This is the value you LOSE when trading/selling because the car has been in an accident...even if it was fixed flawlessly. You'll need to do quite a bit of work to determine this value, but you MUST fight with the insurance company over it, as they will want to settle for fixing it...which still leaves you losing money upon trade or sale.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
390 Posts
It's very unlikely to be totalled, I would get it fixed and keep it, the cabbage is purely cosmetic and won't affect driveability at all, but if you're unwilling to do so then get it fixed and sell it, but I would definitely try to prevent it being totalled.

·
Registered
474 Posts
No Driver's License............. sounds like the excuse you will soon hear as to the why the Insurance you think they have will not be paying out a dime. Was this some kind of Company van ???.........for your sake I sure hope so because that's about the only way I see you getting someone else to pay for repairs....and you may need to then sue the business anyway. When it comes to Insurance.....remember.....at first they'll tell you anything.....later you'll find out the truth. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Defensive Driving Rule - NEVER put your car in a place that it can't be seen by the other driver (especially true for Lotus drivers).

We to often think that the blind spot is only at the rear quarters, but it can be directly behind as well. Yes, newer cars have mandated backup cameras, but do you really think drivers check them if they don't check their mirrors?

Start by stopping behind a vehicle so that you can be seen in their mirrors. Off set your car to the driver's side and far enough back. If you can't see the driver's eyes in their mirrors then you're too close.

Good luck with whatever direction you chose to go in.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
None of "allstates" body shops wants the car, am now on hold waiting for someone from Allstate claims to figure something out..

1 - 20 of 72 Posts