The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
First, don't drive around with a license plate on your dash. You get hit, or hit something, the wrong way and you have one of the more dangerous things than a Takata airbag flying around your car.

Second, I don't see any problem with having an Elise with a minor crash history involving either the front or rear clam with little else of concern. If repaired properly with documentation it shouldn't do harm to the value. Anyone who is looking for an Elise of this vintage with 30,000 miles on it knows of its frailties. I'd probably (depending upon what the damage assessment is from a shop familiar with Lotus Elise) just repair it an enjoy the hell out of it. Hopefully this is the worst of your ownership. Not too long after getting my 2005 Elise, currently with 135,000 miles, the front clam got crunched in a strange situation of me trying to push a Camry through an intersection to avoid the big pickup truck from driving straight into my door while fleeing a police pursuit. He missed me by about 6" to the rear, crashed the truck into a house, the cops shot and killed him. There went his insurance covering it, mine did great. It just adds to the stories that go with the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That sucks, but I don't understand why you refuse to own a car that has been in an accident. Especially when you know the exact damage is and how minor it is. Lotus get fiberglass repairs all the time without the issues you described. Hell many times, they get better paint jobs than what they left the factory with!
100% agree with this perspective. My daily driver got in a minor scrape within 5 months of owning it. It got fixed really well and for a while (maybe a few months) i would think about it as being "tainted" cuz it got scraped up. After a few months you don't even think about it honestly.

·
Registered
418 Posts
How much is a new headlight and turn signal these days? Really can't see this being totaled as the clam is easily fixable.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah that doesn’t look like a clam replacement at all. Do you have better pics of the damage?

I know you want it totaled, just doesn't seem like it will be. Add up the cost of the parts, find the labor times to replace and install, and see where you end up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I dont at the moment but I will post better pictures when I get back home, Allstate is still trying to setup a shop that will take it in and do an assesment

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
170 Posts
I would be carful using body shops the insurance company wants you to use. Some are good some are very bad. Long ago I worked for a body shop that did high end work. I learned its best before I let someone have my car I go look at what kind of work they do. I will ask to look at a black car that has been repaired and then a silver car. These colors can be very hard to match. Also black will show any flaw in the body work they did. Lastly make sure to take it to a shop that works with fiberglass.
I would be proactive and find a shop with a good reputation where you live run by some one that loves the car hobby. You don't want a body shop that turns out repairs like a factory.
This can be fixed good as new. If there is no structural damage there is no way I would get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Truly minor damage. Its a car..... SH!! happens. If you drive it like its meant to be driven, its called patina. I had the driver side mirror ripped off my Elise by a piece of salvage metal off a truck. Sucked at the time, but once repaired looked 100% perfect... Non issue

Reactions: BForbes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just got off the phone with Allstate, they let me know they are likely totalling the car with no inspection other than the virtual walkaround I did with them. The damage does look repairable but they dont want anything to do with it. Looks like I'll buy it back from them and put it for sale. If anyone on here is interested I will get more detailed photos and information tonight when I get home. I have taken good care of her. Installed a top of the line sound system, zero scratched on the car until yesterday (now there are a few! :p ) The car pictured here:

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
408 Posts
Love the red interior! I hate how scared insurance companies are of these cars! There's no reason that should be totalled! Any idea how much you're going to want for it? I'm interested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No Idea, really... I dont want to screw anyone and I have no way of being able to guarantee that the car's in great shape under that clam. I dont want to be a prick.

·
Hickory, NC
1,011 Posts
Did you punch her in the stomach and make her spit up blood? That always make me feel better. Prolly texting about this weeks soccer practice or complaining about Joe at work not wearing his mask. JK
People know when you have a Stebel Nautilus... hold that puppy down till they hear it over their Bluetooth!

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Mitch,

If you decide to have it fixed, I know a shop who can do the work. He redid the rear clam on my Elise and repainted the entire car. It turned out perfect. PM me if you're interested. He'll put in the Stebel horn for you too.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts