The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Defensive Driving Rule - NEVER put your car in a place that it can't be seen by the other driver (especially true for Lotus drivers).

We to often think that the blind spot is only at the rear quarters, but it can be directly behind as well. Yes, newer cars have mandated backup cameras, but do you really think drivers check them if they don't check their mirrors?

Start by stopping behind a vehicle so that you can be seen in their mirrors. Off set your car to the driver's side and far enough back. If you can't see the driver's eyes in their mirrors then you're too close.

Good luck with whatever direction you chose to go in.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
This.. every time I pull up to a stop light I make sure i can see their rear view mirror through their rear window.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Having owned a '67 Elan (shorter, smaller, lower, more narrow than an Elise) I've learned to treat it like a motorcycle. I assume no one sees me and drive accordingly, fairly assertive and leave lots of room. Thankfully it doesn't fall over when I climb out...

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
@Mitchrvguy First off, that's a beautiful car and well cared for.
The good thing about fiberglass damage is that it tends to stay localized and doesn't transmit the energy to the chassis structure.

I would talk with your own insurance agent about reimbursement of diminished value from Allstate and pushing Allstate out of totaling the car. Then have the car repaired and sell it if you wish. If Allstate insist on salvage, I'm tempted to buy it myself and fix it. Might as well, my wife is already pissed with me having two Lotus' and a race car.....

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation. Having mine fixed up now... This will be my cars second surgery, lol. If you drive your car this stuff is bound to happen. Its amazing how these can be repaired. it's a shame that your car will get totalled.

Reactions: kenhicks

·
Registered
302 Posts
None of "allstates" body shops wants the car, am now on hold waiting for someone from Allstate claims to figure something out..
What state are you in? Perhaps someone could recommend a shop. If you are in Michigan, I know a shop that could return your car to as good as new condition.

Really sorry to hear about what happened to your Elise. The same happened to mine in a parking lot. Far, far less damage than what you suffered, only a scratch on the clam. But it was still $7k to fix. At least it was 100% flawless looking when I got it back from the shop. I hope you have the same good experience getting yours fixed.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
There has never been a reason to back up at a stoplight, what an idiot. Should lose here license. Oops, we’ll think of something.

Many of us have busted up clams and had them fixed and went on our way without a second thought. I have, twice. No one’s fault but mine, something to do with going fast and eyes not up and not committing.

Been said many times in this thread, but I try to pull to the left so that the soccer mom on her phone in the SUV in front can see me, even in my Honda.

After our first “big moment” that led to busted up fiberglass I had this plaque made up for the garage. EDIT: in that “big moment” we were buried into a tire wall up to the cracked windshield. I figured a total for sure. But turned out great, that was very early in our track career.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What we worry about in the back of our minds all the time. Very sorry. It's now the reason I'll never have a dark colored sports car again having been driven off the road many times in my Midnight Blue Esprit and my black C7 Vette. I've had the bright red Evora for the past year and no problems like that so far. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
1. Your car is fine to own...not "in a wreck".

2. Did you honk your horn?

3. My "Tips for New Owners" says to remain far back. If you can't see driver's face, driver can't see you.

And, try to remain in the sight lines of the driver's o/s mirror..

·
Registered
2005 Elise
124 Posts
In California (and most other states) you are legally allowed to use whatever shop you want. If it were me I would at least get a good shop to look at it. Even if you get it fixed and then sell it, It is kinda a shame to make it a salvage title car for what seems to be such a small hit. If it is in fact hidden damage then fine, but no way to know without an inspection.

My car has a new entire front clam, and is clean title. These cars are fiberglass and can be repaired. Honestly the paint on my front clam is a lot better than the factory paint on the rest of the car (even color, thicker clear coat, no orange peel that all factory cars have)

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is quite a shame to see you so quick to try to get the car totaled. The supply of clean title elises is shrinking, and over what appears to be a very small incident seems silly to total it. If you are that adverse against having a car with fiberglass work then have it repaired and then sell it. I am sure there are some very good Socal shops that could get that better than new for a price far below totaling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well yesterday was a fun day. Went out for a short drive and about two blocks from my house at a red light the old woman in a 2010 Toyota Sienna van decided it was a good time to put her car in reverse and hit the gas. She said she didnt see me in the rear view mirror as the Lotus is so low to the ground. The front bumper is cracked and scratched all to hell and the clam is busted between the headlight and fog light as well as being gashed quite a ways up it. Headlight and fog lights are toast. Im hoping the damage under is minor but have not been able to check yet. She didnt have a drivers license... Sigh... But does have insurance though I am sure not enough. Already filed a claim. One thing I know for sure is I DO NOT want to own a car that has been in a wreck. What are my options? Should I have it repaired then sell it? I know I could get a "scare quote" and get the car totaled but that seems like a bad thing to do to one of the few Elise's still cruising around the states. I also however dont want to get it "repaired" then sell it and have the next owner deal with cracking paint bubbling and other issues. I could also get a payout for the repairs and sell it as is to someone who knows how to fix it right but I would have no idea as to the value the car would bring in its current state. 2006 30k miles. Any thoughts?

View attachment 1279953
Well, it is an Elise. Mine is a daily driver 2006. A large truck sideswiped me, crushed the drivers door and mirror, cracked a 6”x6” area on front by clam by the door. $10, 500 insurance check. I bought a used door and mirror for $1,000 and gave it to the body shop. my car was phantom black, he threw in a $6000 repaint to Porsche “black metallic saphire”, ppf entire front clam, ceramic coated. Looks better than factory. Just fix it, I think you would be surprised how many elises have body repairs, reported or not. Have fun

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've looked at several Lotusi on BaT, that have "clam damage," and I have said, "Nope!" and moved on. So, my question is how does a potential buyer know if repairs have been done correctly? I don't own one yet, but my tongue is hanging out, and I am learning a lot on this forum. There was a fantastic Orange one on BaT about a year ago, but I was too new to act.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well yesterday was a fun day. Went out for a short drive and about two blocks from my house at a red light the old woman in a 2010 Toyota Sienna van decided it was a good time to put her car in reverse and hit the gas. She said she didnt see me in the rear view mirror as the Lotus is so low to the ground. The front bumper is cracked and scratched all to hell and the clam is busted between the headlight and fog light as well as being gashed quite a ways up it. Headlight and fog lights are toast. Im hoping the damage under is minor but have not been able to check yet. She didnt have a drivers license... Sigh... But does have insurance though I am sure not enough. Already filed a claim. One thing I know for sure is I DO NOT want to own a car that has been in a wreck. What are my options? Should I have it repaired then sell it? I know I could get a "scare quote" and get the car totaled but that seems like a bad thing to do to one of the few Elise's still cruising around the states. I also however dont want to get it "repaired" then sell it and have the next owner deal with cracking paint bubbling and other issues. I could also get a payout for the repairs and sell it as is to someone who knows how to fix it right but I would have no idea as to the value the car would bring in its current state. 2006 30k miles. Any thoughts?

View attachment 1279953
I would have it repaired as usually the damaged areas are surface related due to the space underneath. I would not worry about having the damage repaired and continue to drive and enjoy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take the buyout and let me know what you are asking for it for I'll buy it as is, where is for my Son has one and I want one also. What State are you located in? Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Important reminder, anytime you're in an accident, call the police.
Same thing happened to my S2000, not so pleasantly surprised to here that the other driver blamed me for the accident, and my rate went up. Getting a cop to stop by and take statements, you're much less likely to get shafted after the fact.

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Sorry that this happened to you. If you where in the NE I’d buy this car from you. It’s probably just front clam damage which is not a big deal. And it looks like that clam can easily be repaired. Unfortunately the insurance company will now title it as salvage and the value will go down due to that.

Reactions: Mitchrvguy
41 - 60 of 83 Posts