The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a dusting of snow here in Virginia this evening. Most people around here freak the heck out, but me, having lived in Rochester for six years, thought it a good opportunity to go out and play. And learn. So after making it home from work in my Subaru, I went out late with my Elise (when the roads were mostly empty of other people), just to get a feel for how it handles out there.

I was helped out a lot by the fact that I have all-season tires mounted (as opposed to summer tires), but really it wasn't too bad! It felt pretty reasonable to drive at 30 mph, so long as you plan ahead with your braking. I'd always been curious how a mid-engine car handled in snow, considering what people always say about fwd cars (engine over drive wheels helps traction). It's hard for me to compare, since it's been so long since I've driven fwd in snow (and actually never drove any rwd car in snow before), and although it was definitely sluggish to get going, it never felt hopeless.

I did tool around an empty parking lot for a bit, testing out braking distance (horrifying), understeer characteristics, lateral g ability, and yes maybe one or two donuts ;) In all it felt pretty normal for a car in an inch or so of fresh snow. It wasn't outlandishly tail-happy, you just have to know how to drive it. Though it was a bit slow to go and stop. I wasn't brave enough for the highway, but maybe if conditions are right tomorrow night...

It obviously didn't feel as planted as the Subaru, but what really surprised me was the braking performance, it felt atrocious. I didn't do any direct side-by-side tests, but I'd swear the Elise had at least 50% more stopping distance. It could have been down to tires, but I don't have anything that special mounted to either car. I think it was because the Subaru had nearly double the mass pushing down on the tires to give traction. Clearly I need to do more science.

Anyone else taken their Lotus out in adverse conditions?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
My Elise with Yokohama Ice Guard tires is fine in the snow. I'll drive in up to 2 inches of snow.

My brakes at one point were feeling very poor in wet or snowy weather. However new brake pads fixed that problem.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
We got 4-5 inches in Arlington yesterday. I wanted to take the Fiance's MINI out, but she wouldn't let me. "Almighty's" (here on the forum) DD has a flat, so if he went to work today it was in the Elise, on old R-comps. Looking forward to hearing how that went. The major road ways look pretty clear right now, but our neighborhood is still pretty icy.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I woke up early this morning with the intention of driving into work.

It didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
the roads around me have so much salt and sand on the road that if you drive behind a vehicle the "moisture" on the windshield dries up to a fine powder in 5 seconds if it hitting the windshield. Also there are little mounds of salt all over the roads you can find due to uneven spillage

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've had my roof off since Sunday. I was a little concerned yesterday though, as I didn't put my shower/sun cap on and was worried about the UV damage.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm still concerned with driving in to work tomorrow, but I'm sure the side roads will be better. I also should be smart and get some all seasons on the S2K now that I have a flat.

It's all good though. The first official day of spring is in 57 days. I'll be saying, why in the hell is it so cold while the top is off.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean...

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts
Have mentioned before. I recommend SaltAway, used by boat owners.

Inline hose setup, instantly neutralizes salt. I use garden sprinkler under cars and hose or wand for wheel wells.

Amazon or marine supply stores.

----

Occasionally, the Elise gets caught out, but with all-seasons for winter, it's not too bad in a few inches of snow. Not my favorite thing, tho.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We got a dusting of snow here in Virginia this evening. Most people around here freak the heck out, but me, having lived in Rochester for six years, thought it a good opportunity to go out and play.
A dusting? Where in Virginia are you? We got about 6" yesterday in Mclean / Vienna.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
It was snowing as my 737 (with the wings sprayed green) lifted off from Reagan about noon. Got out of Washington just in time to escape the snow-crazyness and back to the calm of Minnesota's subzero temps.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It was -15 on my way in to work today. Snow doesn't even stick to anything rite now, just blows around endlessly. I do not even clear my long driveway because it just blows rite back

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Is this "snow" thing a performance mod? I keep hearing how people can really spin their tires when they have it. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts