The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sad to announce the passing of my 2008 Ardent Red Elise SC.
A fire took hold of my home on the night of 29th June and took a significant portion of the house and my families' 3 cars.

Without doubt the most important fact is that no one was hurt and that smoke alarms really do save lives. We also lost a load of 'stuff' . Some of the stuff was more personal than other stuff, and the Lotus definitely is the most missed of the stuff.

The fire was started by my dumb actions- I left a deck-staining rag in the garbage bin of my garage. Unfortunately this type of stain, can and does have the tendency to self ignite. There is a warning on the can and I am not looking to blame the manufacturer. Fortunately a foolish accident such as this is still coverered under insurance and I will be able to rebuild. Hopefully someone may read this and avoid a similar fate, I hope so.

I am still a frequent reader of Lotustalk and I feel the pain of losing my car. It is not likely that I will rebuy until after I can move back into my own home (I am renting a home for the next 12 months). Nonetheless I keep coming to graize these pages.

One thing that has become apparent , not that it should be any surprise to you all but the Lotus was the car that is killing me on the insurance front.
I owned 3 cars . A 2007 Toyota Sienna Minivan, a 2003 Infiniti FX35 and the July 2008 , SC Elise.

The Sienna cost $42k and 27k miles later is being replaced at $30k
The FX cost $42k (coincidentally) and 103k miles later is worth $17k
The darling Lotus cost $60k and is 5k miles later is worth $47k
(All numbers including sales tax)

I must buy used next time (maybe the Chrome Orange one on Ebay)

Thanks for all the fun . Be back next year !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,166 Posts
Really sucks to hear; I'm so sorry.

One point and one question:

1) Do not accept the insurance company's first offer. I countered my offer, backed it up with comparable sales and information, and was able to get them to increase their payment significantly.

2) More information on the self igniting stain would be appreciated. I have not heard of this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
I'm so sorry about this unfortunate incident.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Glad to hear that everyone's ok. Even so, that's a terrific trauma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts
Really sorry about this and of course the standard reply would be possessions can be replaced but you cannot! Don't beat yourself up with the accident many of us have become so desensitized by all of the liability warnings on just about every consumable that the likelihood of something like this happening is so small most of us just disregard these warnings! As Ian says Research market values on items to be replaced and don't get short changed, you might be surprised with just a little time on your part can translate into thousands of dollars reimbursed for the loss of your items! Again, I am very sorry for the loss but think of all the shopping you get to do now and try and make the most of it with ALL of your family members present! You are a Lucky man sir! God Bless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
That's horrible! All that really matters is that no one was hurt. Things can be replaced!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Max, so sorry and shocked when I heard this news. What a shame with your beautiful home and of course the Lotus but like others have said, glad no one was hurt. You can always get another Lotus. Make sure the insurance company also knows that you had the LETSLA and other parts installed. They should factor in those items too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
That sucks. Good to hear it's covered by your insurance.

As to how this happens, a lot of wood stains become exothermic when exposed to oxygen-- they get hot when they dry. When used on a deck or furniture in a relatively open area, that's not a problem. When on a rag in an ideal environment for combustion, it is. That's why you're supposed to use a fire safe metal garbage can for disposing of rags that have been used with such chemicals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Max,

I'm sorry to hear the news. You had such a beautiful home.
I'm glad your wife and girls are OK, that's most important!
As posted here, don't accept their first offer; try to negotiate, although it sounds like you already did.
If you feel that you need distraction, carting in Allentown is always an option. ;) Keep in touch.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the kind words.
Out of all the mess the kindness of neighbours and friends has been truly astonishing.

Car wise- sadly it is difficult to argue insured prices when there are two equal cars priced at 47k on ebay. I found the depreciation comparisons quite startling. C'est la vie, maybe I should be pleased it wasn't a Bentley, those suckers really drop in the first year!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,664 Posts
Max
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, echoing everyone else's thoughts I'm glad everyone is safe and we see you back in a Lotus soon again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Great to hear that all are well.
But I can't imagine the hassle you will have to go through to put a household back together. I suppose that will be tempered by the relief you must feel knowing that it could have been a real tragedy; your attitude about mere 'stuff' is admirable.

Good luck.
 

·
shay2nak
Joined
·
25,171 Posts
wow, sorry about your misfortune. I'm glad you and your family are safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Two cars listed on eBay wouldn't be acceptable to me as setting the price for my car. I'd still try to negotiate.
+1
Ebay is notorious for being low priced on cars....I'd have a dealer give you a quote on a similar car. then take that to the insurance company...they need to pay you more than that IMO.

Terribly sorry for the loss, best of luck to you on all fronts.

What kind of stain was it? I'm gonna avoid it.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top