The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
beautiful! I'm forwarding to my 85 year old father who was trainined to fly them in WWII. It will make his day! He's an old man but still got his full wit's about him and rarely a day that I speak to him that the conversation doesn't turn to talk of Spitfires and Hawker Typhoon's, the other plane he was in line to fly. Thanks for making an old man smile :D

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I live about 1.5 miles from Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ. The RAF trained there in WWII. Up until about 3 years ago, the Champlain Air Museum was located there. There's still a Commemorative Air Force group located there, too.

In the cooler months I frequenly see a B-17 (Sentimental Journey) flying in the area. It's gone directly over my house many times -- sometimes not more that 500' in altitude. There's a B-25 at Falcon Field that offers paid rides and I see it flying over frequently.

Before the museum moved out I used to see a lot of interesting vintage planes. My two favorites were a P-38 (only saw it 2 times) and a Corsair (seen quite a few times).

There was a B-22 at the field a few times. Once it flew over the neighborhood so low that it set off every car alarm.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I just checked... the Champlain Air Museum collection was sold in 2003 to Paul Allen's Museum of Flight in Seattle.

They had a Spitfire, but I believe it wasn't the same one in the photo above.

Champlain had an awesome collection. I went there 4 or 5 times... hated to see them leave :(

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked... the Champlain Air Museum collection was sold in 2003 to Paul Allen's Museum of Flight in Seattle.

They had a Spitfire, but I believe it wasn't the same one in the photo above.

Champlain had an awesome collection. I went there 4 or 5 times... hated to see them leave :(
You're confusing a couple of operations up here. Doug Champlin sold his collection to the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field in Seattle. That collection became the core of the new Personal Courage wing of the museum.

http://www.museumofflight.org/

Paul Allen went on a buying spree and has set up the Flying Heritage Museum at Paine Field in Everett. The notable thing about this setup is that most or all of the aircraft are flyable. Every other weekend they roll a couple out for 'exercise'.

Home : The Flying Heritage Collection

A couple of weeks ago they took out the P-51 and the P-47. Pics here:

.Mac Web Gallery

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Thanks for the links.

BTW, Boeing's final assembly facilities for the Apache are just north of Falcon Field. I got to go on a tour there ~1987?

About two months ago I happened to see a group of 7 or 8 AH-64Ds leaving the plant... off for delivery, I assume. All the Apache helicopters ever built take first flight from that facility.

I think it was around 1987 when you'd see (or not see) them flying in the area. I was at my former father-in-laws house in a more rural area just east of here when I decided to go out for a walk down the dirt road in front of his house. It was very dark outside and he lived in an area without many homes and no street lights. I could hear an Apache flying very close by but it must not have been running any lights... I can only imagine those guys were up there with the night vision targeting sigts set on me ;)

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Thought you guys would like this.

A little video of some planes from the EliseTalk UK/Goodwood '06 trip. Some of us went to the RAF museum too, but I can't find that tape :( It was a great place if you ever have the chance to check it out.

***Hmmm can't embed the video. Oh well here's the link.
YouTube - Goodwood

·
Registered
685 Posts
Maybe because I'm old enough to remember why, but today I can't see a Spitfire or Hurricane, or hear a Merlin or Griffon, without getting goosebumps and a lump in my throat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts