The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have an ITouch, I wanted to be able to play it through the Alpine CDA-9856 unit I previously upgraded to.

Got the ubiquituous Alpine KCE-422i Full Speed Connection Cable at Best Buy ($30) and went to work.

A couple of decisons had to be made first.
Location of ITouch was first one. The ITouch is longer than the IPod Nano, so it will NOT fit in the cubbies on either side of the car with the Connector in place. After some trial and error, I decided to locate it between the HVAC controls and the steering column shroud, in the little compartment. Perfect position and close to the HU.
Second decison was where to run the connector cable. Some had run it through/under the HVAC controls, but involves removing the unit which I had done before and it is a PITA to re-install. My choice was to run the cable down the side of the steering column shroud and through the plastic panel that snaps into the aluminum tray.

Install Steps: See Pics below
1. Remove HU from dash.
2. Using a thin flexible wire, I ran it down from the HU through the steering shroud area and out the bottom, near the tray.
3. Attached the KCE cable to the guide wire and pulled the cable up into position.
4. Connected the KCE cable to the HU, reattached the antenna and main connector and reinstalled HU.
5. Bundled excess cable with a wire tie and pushed into recess under the steering column shroud.
6. I Dremmeled a notch in the plastic plate to allow the cable to come through.
7. Pulled cable through notch, snapped side plate into place and attached ITouch.

The CDA-9856 allows for complete ITouch control from the HU panel, so it is very easy to use.

All told, took about 40 minutes

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Nice write up Wayne! Just noticed that had the 16GB Touch for sale on Woot today for $289! (reman)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question... why couldn't the sync cable sit in the groove of the aluminum tray?
Hi JnC,
You're right, it could have sat in the groove, and then dropped down to the tray. That way, I wouldn't have needed to create a notch in the side panel.

I wanted the cable to come in a little lower down into the ITouch, with minimal cable showing. Personal preference, I guess. :shrug:

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts