The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Thank you San. I think I have traditional cable connections that cars have. I may need those brass ends for the battery unless the battery comes with them.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,074 Posts
Thank you San. I think I have traditional cable connections that cars have. I may need those brass ends for the battery unless the battery comes with them.
It's a motorcycle battery, so it won't accommodate traditional car battery connections. You'll need to pick up the proper connectors.

San

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Last night I ordered the Shorai battery, charger and the terminal ends. Should get them by today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I recently made a switch from ETX20L to AntiGravity ATX20-RS.
I've used ETX20L for YEARS, but it feels like the quality has gone down in recent batches. The stated cca was lower than when I first bought it and the warranty got halved.

I benchmarked Shorai when I looking up batteries due to its popularity and price point, but didn't really like the fact that it didn't have a Battery Management System. It won't be a problem for its intended purpose(motorcycles), but anyone that knows anything about Lithium batteries know that you need a BMS for reliability. I know of at least 4 dead Shorais due to user neglect. They all seemed to "forget to disconnect" or "forget to put it on a tender" and end up with puffed up battery casing filled with dead lithium cells. I wanted to look for something more... idiot tolerant.

ATX20-RS seems to have a full-featured BMS - thermal protection, low/high voltage cutoff and cell balancing. Low voltage will kill the cells, high voltage will cause fires, and cells need to be balance charged or else you risk one of the cells dying earlier and cause other cells to die with it. And, since it's a full-featured BMS, you can treat it like a regular car battery. Special lithium-only battery like Optimate chargers(lower starting voltage, current limit, etc) aren't needed or a charger with proprietary cell balancer like the Shorai specific charger. Any old Ctek or BatteryTender seemed to be supported. It also has a built-in "restart" button to wake it up when it goes to sleep at low voltage level which I like. It's like a built-in jump starter!

Some Specs
3.8 lbs
680 CCA
LiFePo4
Runs a tad smaller than ETX20L so I needed to use more foam padding for my Sector/InoKinetic Xtender Bracket.

I've been using it for a couple months now. I've gone to track days with it, left it out overnight when it was 35F out, and left it connected for 2 weeks just to see what happens(my ETX20L would die before that).
It seems to be so far so good, but I'll probably report back with findings if something happens to it. I might get a bluetooth battery level monitor from Ctek just to keep my eye on it since you can't really 'revive' a dead lithium battery like you can sometimes with AGM/lead-acid batteries.

They also got a more robust version, ATX20-HD. It weighs a bit more and foregoes the Re-Start button, but gives you a voltage level indicator. It's rated 900 CCA and has more capacity and supposedly more tolerant to deep cycle.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Real nice battery too. I just installed the Shorai with the sector 11 extender and it cranked up like a baby. Very happy with it and the extender switch from Inokinetic fits like a glove. I also bought the Shorai battery tender. I will probably connect it once a month since I’m using the power cut off.
EEEF7940-198A-4C83-8390-4479D7F79ED3.jpeg

·
7,074 Posts
My Shorai is 5 years old and despite me forgetting to hook up the charger on multiple occasions it's always come back from the "dead".

San

·
Registered
580 Posts
For Canadians

·
purveyor of lightness
4,085 Posts
My 22 month old Shorai has never failed to start my car. It sits for weeks on end with the battery disconnect OFF so there's no phantom drain.

Well yesterday it just did the dreaded "CLICK" and the car went completely dead (no dash/lights/etc.) Even removing the key and putting it back to ACC yielded NADA!

So I turned the disconnect to OFF, plugged in the charger and ran it until it was solid green and beeped (full charge). Same result. CLICK. dead.

I then jump started the Elise using our Mazda CX-9. Started right up. Drove around for about 30 minutes. Turned car off. Waited two minutes. Tried starting with just the Shorai... it STARTED so I thought it must have been a fluke. I flipped the disconnect to OFF and went to bed.

This morning I wanted to wash the car and get gas so I turned the disconnect to ON, turned the key (heard fuel / surge pump kick in) and then pushed the START button... CLICK dead.

I then removed the battery and have just filled in Shorai's RMA form.

Starter motor was replaced with a new unit in the same month I had the Shorai installed - it works just fine and started immediately when jump started.

Will update this post as things progress... Argh!

·
Registered
304 Posts
You want the most cold cranking amps that will fit in the space, with terminals where they need to be...then hook up your Battery Tender every time you walk away from the car. Brand is not important. A gel demands you keep it on a charger. And if you frequently have the car virtually upside down when you drive it.....then you need gel...otherwise you're simply a victim of the hype.

·
7,074 Posts
My 22 month old Shorai has never failed to start my car. It sits for weeks on end with the battery disconnect OFF so there's no phantom drain.

Well yesterday it just did the dreaded "CLICK" and the car went completely dead (no dash/lights/etc.) Even removing the key and putting it back to ACC yielded NADA!

So I turned the disconnect to OFF, plugged in the charger and ran it until it was solid green and beeped (full charge). Same result. CLICK. dead.

I then jump started the Elise using our Mazda CX-9. Started right up. Drove around for about 30 minutes. Turned car off. Waited two minutes. Tried starting with just the Shorai... it STARTED so I thought it must have been a fluke. I flipped the disconnect to OFF and went to bed.

This morning I wanted to wash the car and get gas so I turned the disconnect to ON, turned the key (heard fuel / surge pump kick in) and then pushed the START button... CLICK dead.

I then removed the battery and have just filled in Shorai's RMA form.

Starter motor was replaced with a new unit in the same month I had the Shorai installed - it works just fine and started immediately when jump started.

Will update this post as things progress... Argh!
Shorai replaced a battery of mine that was out of warranty with the bigger, more expensive battery they recommended for my ZX-10R. They only wanted the old one back so they could analyze it. Outstanding customer service, and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

San

41 - 50 of 50 Posts